• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book Burning: Bible, koran, torah, wicca, scientology, buddhism etc.

Duck

to me, burning books would be like throwing food away. even if the books suck, or the food tastes bad, it just never feels good.

Yep, what is the line from one of the Indiana Jones movies? Something about "...Morons should spend more time reading books rather than burning them..."? That pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
[youtube]k1yIy39RX0Q[/youtube]
The 2012 Book Burning Controversy - YouTube

Hey guys, i found this video on youtube. Its a group of atheists burning multiple religious texts which includes the bible, koran, torah, wicca, tripitaka, dianetics etc.

What do you atheists think about this? And religious feedback please

Personally it's just paper with words. Having said that I find that some of those books don't need to be burned. Some of them I have no experience with. I think books, even religious ones, have value.

Now let me just clarify something....Please don't let the actions of some Atheists make you believe we're all like that.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Now let me just clarify something....Please don't let the actions of some Atheists make you believe we're all like that.

HA! - anyone who thinks that book burning represents atheists already has such a twisted view of atheists, that it doesn't matter what the truth is.

Erebus

Because it's not just immature, but a sign of deeply dysfunctional spirituality?

I mean, I'd rather you burned a book than a person, but come on... finding gratification in desecration isn't healthy.

Just to add to what Jasonwill2 and Ultraviolet have already touched on, desecration rituals are actually relatively common. I burned my bible as a teenager when I turned away from Christianity, I wouldn't have the need to do that anymore as I no longer have to deal with the remnants of a Christian(ish) upbringing. The satanic black mass is similar in principle, it's an inversion of Christian ritual intended not to cause offence to Christians, but to rid participants of Christian guilt.
I've also burned photographs, valentines cards and a piece of jewelry for much the same reason, to help rid myself of thoughts and feelings that I no longer care for.
I think I mentioned in one of the LHP threads that as a practitioner gets older they should lose the need and desire to perform these rituals.

Now having said that, these rituals are typically private and highly personalized. You don't just desecrate something you dislike, you desecrate something you want out of your mind. The guy in the video is highly unlikely to have such a close relationship to each of the burned texts that there would be much use in him burning them, I feel it's more for shock factor which IMO is childish.
The point of this post isn't to defend the actions of the video, but to explain that desecration can be useful in some contexts.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Hey guys, i found this video on youtube. Its a group of atheists burning multiple religious texts which includes the bible, koran, torah, wicca, tripitaka, dianetics etc.

No book should ever be burnt.

And yes, that even includes Mein Kompf

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Sure, I heard your opinions. I still find this form of 'criticism' to be juvenile. and I'm not very likely to take these kind of people seriously.

And that's certainly a valid opinion. What I was presenting, however, was not so much an opinion, as an alternative perspective on such situations. I'm not so much outright excusing such behaviors, as trying to make people aware that a black and white refusal to attempt to understand other perspectives often leads to the type of mindset which, ironically, can cause people to mindlessly burn books.

Just food for thought. Not trying to convince anyone to accept anything.

Jeremiah

Didn't brother reading the thread btw.

"What do you atheists think about this?"

That such a trivial event is not worth thinking about much. In fact I think I have already put way too much effort into this.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I read that as "Angry At This Table" then "Angry At The Ist Able" then Angry At Theist Able." Now I almost see "Angry at The Stable"

Fail.

LOL....!!!! You're right.

WOW.....I really didn't look at any other way. That's funny right there...then again I only see one ("t")....

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I've read (or at least started) some pretty bad books in my day, but I never thought about burning them. I just donate them to the salvation army or Goodwill or amvets so someone else can read them. Anything that religious books say can be ignored, not read, etc. so burning them seems ridiculous and it won't stop others from reading a different copy of it.
And burning books reminds of Hitler and the Nazis- I just think it appalling and disgusting.

jasonwill2

So you believe in Hell?

No, but subconsciously the fear was still there because I was a Christian for 7 of my 20 years. It was to get rid of the irrational fear, because it was IRRATIONAL (Hell doesn't exist). Didn't you read my post? It said that it was to get rid of irrational fears by telling the emotional parts of my mind it doesn't matter anymore. I did it because on my emotional level it hadn't caught up to my intellectual level.

I can definitely understand the liberating element of their symbolic ritual here. It could only be more liberating if they had read all of the books that they burned and comprehended the meaning behind each one fully. I suppose there are a million or so other copies they could still read however. As long as they're not seeking total censorship of any particular religious or philosophical train of thought, then I guess it should be alright for them to perform their own religious rituals.

Just to add to what Jasonwill2 and Ultraviolet have already touched on, desecration rituals are actually relatively common. I burned my bible as a teenager when I turned away from Christianity, I wouldn't have the need to do that anymore as I no longer have to deal with the remnants of a Christian(ish) upbringing. The satanic black mass is similar in principle, it's an inversion of Christian ritual intended not to cause offence to Christians, but to rid participants of Christian guilt.
I've also burned photographs, valentines cards and a piece of jewelry for much the same reason, to help rid myself of thoughts and feelings that I no longer care for.
I think I mentioned in one of the LHP threads that as a practitioner gets older they should lose the need and desire to perform these rituals.

Now having said that, these rituals are typically private and highly personalized. You don't just desecrate something you dislike, you desecrate something you want out of your mind. The guy in the video is highly unlikely to have such a close relationship to each of the burned texts that there would be much use in him burning them, I feel it's more for shock factor which IMO is childish.
The point of this post isn't to defend the actions of the video, but to explain that desecration can be useful in some contexts.

exactly

edit:

I didnt watch the video, but this kind of thing is for liberation, not shock (unless the shock is part of that liberation). If they didn't even read any of the books, or understand the religions at hand, then this ritual was POINTLESS. Whenver I burnt the one Bible it was one of my personal ones that I had for years. I had read many parts of the Bible and understood it fairly well. It had a deep meaning behind it to me, a part I wanted to be rid of (my former Christian identity). It would of been meaningless though if I was never a Christian.

Last edited:
I think its pretty stupid to burn books...

Especially when one can get apps for the Bible, Qur'an, Book of Mormon, Tanakh, Dhammapada, Bhagavad Gita, etc. Online versions and pdf's also exist these days.

Instead of burning books, I feel that all books should be preserved and perused. How else can one criticise said religion or irreligion without the original source? :D

I am planning to buy my brothers personalised New Revised Standard Versions (NRSV), Catholic edition of the Bible; so that they can peruse, skim, and even criticise. :D

St Giordano Bruno

If I needed something to prevent me from freezing to death in a blizzard and the only fuel available was a pile of Bibles, Korans, Torahs and Origin of a Species etc I would not hesitate to burn them, after all no book is sacred enough to freeze to death over; but as for burning them to demonstrate a point I see no point in that. In fact that would be extremely counterproductive.