• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book Burning: Bible, koran, torah, wicca, scientology, buddhism etc.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
You don't care if people burn books? Apathy is bad. Today it may be something by a small group. Tomarrow by a large group.

That's a rather slippery slope.

This was a group of individuals, not a government. Individuals have the freedom to act, even if it's stupid. Remember the Quran burning pastor? He was an idiot and was even inciting potential violence in other countries by his actions, but he still has the right to do it. Stating that he should be prevented because otherwise the government should do something about it is an exaggeration and a violation of his rights. Same with these guys, even if they're being idiots.

waitasec

Veteran Member
You don't care if people burn books? Apathy is bad. Today it may be something by a small group. Tomarrow by a large group.

perhaps he's secure enough in his belief that this silly act doesn't affect his spirituality....

burning books is an expression...and it doesn't hold the same power it did when books were scarce, get it?

Daviso452

Boy Genius

Good point. To burn books would simply hinder knowledge. I disagree with all religious texts, but it is important for people to be educated in them so that they know what they believe.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Good point. To burn books would simply hinder knowledge. I disagree with all religious texts, but it is important for people to be educated in them so that they know what they believe.

i think in todays world burning books is nothing more than an expression for the disdain of what these books stand for...
it's like burning flags

Pastek

Sunni muslim

I don't care because those people just want a reaction from us.
They are happy to see us sad or angry

God said that we must let those people taliking, playing or insulting God because they are people "who don't know" (ignorant) and because He will Juge them Himself

They just want to say "we hate you", "your Book is nothing"
And life goes on. I don't pay attention to stupid people

waitasec

Veteran Member
They just want to say "we hate you", "your Book is nothing"
And life goes on. I don't pay attention to stupid people
maybe it the dogma they hate, not necessarily the people who adhere to it...
after all they're not burning people.

jasonwill2

Burning Bibles is fun, it's a good release for my disdain for Christianity and my Christian past. Only done it once or twice though.

edit; ya that probably didnt add much just right now lol

Last edited:

Sgloom

if i was freezing, and those were the only books around i could burn to keep me warm, i would have no problem using them as kindle. otherwise, i see it as pointless.
i was raised catholic, i had no desire to do anything to the bible when i stopped following it. i still even read one from time to time for fun.

gnostic

The Lost One
Personally, I don't like people who burn books, because it is juvenile or vandal behavior. I wouldn't burn books even if I don't agree with the contents of the books.

However, as long as they are burning copies that they owned, and not the originals or copies that belonged to someone else, then I'd suppose it is none of people's business. And I would agree with sgloom that if burning books would help me to survive (eg keeping warm), then that's a different matter.