• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brain Storming for our Secular School Curriculum

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I will say I don't understand the point of the OP. Schools are already secular as is. The current goal is to keep them that way.

Just in case scenarios and possible future realities.

I would have never thought that a recorded historic law documented in religious literature would be so controversial as a display that students aren't even required to look at in a State whose state majority agrees with the law enacted requiring it to be displayed. I'm ok either way, but the future remains uncertain.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Maybe we should limit voting rights to those with a higher education.
Maybe your vote should depend on correctly answering a skill-testing question, like winning some prizes. I suggest, for example:

"Politicians who lie frequently are most likely to:
  1. Do it again and again
  2. Be so regretful they'll never even think about telling even the tiniest fib ever again, cross my heart, hope to die"

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Why not Shakespeare? Oh, it's theatrical, satire, human dynamics, and not always based on facts. Yeah, I'm ok with him.
Seems to me you just have no idea what a secular education is. Of course the literature need not always be based on facts. The only real fact in Lysistrata is that the Peloponnesian War happened. But it's still a great story.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Maybe your vote should depend on correctly answering a skill-testing question, like winning some prizes. I suggest, for example:

"Politicians who lie frequently are most likely to:
  1. Do it again and again
  2. Be so regretful they'll never even think about telling even the tiniest fib ever again, cross my heart, hope to die"

Hmm ... hold up. I'm thinking ... maybe I umm, lets see (refer to last sentence).

Perhaps politicians will one day learn not to lie. I've read articles about the notion that we are born liars. Apparently it's a scientific fact, but I figure most people understand it to be true anyway. It takes effort and desire to grow beyond our more child like tendencies. I'm still not very good at not being child like, but I do aim to be truthful.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Why no Shakespeare?
Have you read Shakespeare? There's sex and magic in his plays, and a couple of the sonnets are really filthy! Here's one:

Sonnet 135

Whoever hath her wish, thou hast thy Will,
And Will to boot, and Will in overplus;
More than enough am I that vex thee still,
To thy sweet will making addition thus.
Wilt thou, whose will is large and spacious,
Not once vouchsafe to hide my will in thine?
Shall will in others seem right gracious,
And in my will no fair acceptance shine?
The sea, all water, yet receives rain still,
And in abundance addeth to his store;
So thou being rich in Will add to thy Will
One Will of mine, to make thy large Will more.
Let no unkind, no fair beseechers kill;
Think all but one, and me in that one Will.

Why filthy, you ask?

Well, the Elizabethans used the word "will" to mean what we mean, but also uncontrollable lust or desire, and also the body parts, both male and female, that are used in satisfying those desires. And of course, Shakespeare's name was Will.

Now in light of the male and female body parts being named "will," read the sonnet again, especially lines 5-6. You'll see.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Just in case scenarios and possible future realities.

I would have never thought that a recorded historic law documented in religious literature would be so controversial as a display that students aren't even required to look at in a State whose state majority agrees with the law enacted requiring it to be displayed. I'm ok either way, but the future remains uncertain.

Riiiiiigggghhhttttt.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Seems to me you just have no idea what a secular education is. Of course the literature need not always be based on facts. The only real fact in Lysistrata is that the Peloponnesian War happened. But it's still a great story.
That wasn't sarcasm. I'm seriously ok with him.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Have you read Shakespeare? There's sex and magic in his plays, and a couple of the sonnets are really filthy! Here's one:

Sonnet 135​

Whoever hath her wish, thou hast thy Will,
And Will to boot, and Will in overplus;
More than enough am I that vex thee still,
To thy sweet will making addition thus.
Wilt thou, whose will is large and spacious,
Not once vouchsafe to hide my will in thine?
Shall will in others seem right gracious,
And in my will no fair acceptance shine?
The sea, all water, yet receives rain still,
And in abundance addeth to his store;
So thou being rich in Will add to thy Will
One will of mine, to make thy large Will more.
Let no unkind, no fair beseechers kill;
Think all but one, and me in that one Will.

Why filthy, you ask?

Well, the Elizabethans used the word "will" to mean what we mean, but also uncontrollable lust or desire, and also the body parts, both male and female, that are used in satisfying those desires. And of course, Shakespeare's name was Will.

Now in light of the male and female body parts being named "will," read the sonnet again, especially lines 5-6. You'll see.

Sex and science ... Go figure. I will suggest applying the material according to age value and ability. Otherwise, I'm ok with Shakespeare. Difficult to understand sometimes and deemed boring by many in our younger generations. Either way, I've not noticed religious bias thus far in his work.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Tyranny of the majority is a sad premise @Balthazzar . Just because it's a majority view, doesn't mean it belongs in school. The ten commandments in Louisiana's case is not for the purpose of teaching it as a historical document. That is apparent. Just not to Christians.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
SSSHHHHHHH!!!! You sush with that! They are perfectly ok not realizing how raunchy and violent that "super romantic" Romeo and Juliet really is. If they were to ever realize Shakespeare has more in common with prowrestling than anything with Kirk Cameron we may be in some serious trouble.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
@The Hammer You suggested I was right, to which I agreed. I never thought until it happened and after it happened, I acknowledged a truth. That the future is un-certain and that being prepared is better than not being prepared. You disagreed, so my only possible and apparent way to process your statements is that I'm right and better than you presumed me to be.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Tyranny of the majority is a sad premise @Balthazzar . Just because it's a majority view, doesn't mean it belongs in school. The ten commandments in Louisiana's case is not for the purpose of teaching it as a historical document. That is apparent. Just not to Christians.

It isn't being taught by unqualified teachers and the intent is to represent the majority in the state after the long standing right to include them was taken away. That was the majority vote when they were denied that liberty and so it happened, but it did not reflect the majority of that particular state. I can't argue against your statements for this reason. It is apparent to some Christians just not all Christians.