• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

burning the flag (yanks only)

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
because the flag represents all the people who have fought and died for this country, all who have sacrificed in the name of Uncle Sam. That is why it is special.
What if we don't agree with what they fought and died for? I am personally against burning the flag but it is obviously free speech. Nationalism itself is pretty scary stuff and if we get extremist nationalism without the ability to criticize the government then that means we have lost all freedom.

What if we had a total takeover of America and it was purely liberal run. Religion was outlawed and everyone was forced in to homosexual marriages and heterosexuality was outlawed. Now the new flag is a high definition motion picture of two figures of Jesus having hardcore buttsex.

Would you want the freedom to burn that flag?

Uberpod

I am considering wearing the flag as a loin cloth on Independence Day. Should I be concerned about violence against me? How is such violence different from (by other than degree) the violent reaction to cartoon satire of profit Mohammed?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I am considering wearing the flag as a loin cloth on Independence Day. Should I be concerned about violence against me? How is such violence different from (by other than degree) the violent reaction to cartoon satire of profit Mohammed?

Where I live, wearing the flag as loin cloth could very well get you killed. Many here take nationalism to a very scary extreme.

Why did this old thing get dug up? Oh well... it's their money but I can't say I wouldn't laugh if they burned themselves in the process.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
It's amazing how much power we imbue a simple piece of cloth of. Burning it should be legal. Encouraged, even, until every last citizen realizes that America was established upon insurrection and it this nation is ours, not the billionaires who spend millions trying to tell us how to vote. Until Washington is cleansed, flags should be burned and displayed upside down. Perhaps we should even promote burning one on election day so hopefully it will remind people of why they hate our politicians every other day and will go vote and vote someone who doesn't have an R or D attached to their name. Maybe their should even be rallys were we burn them while reading the Constitution in front of the White House, while taking a moment after each section is read out loud to call out those politicians guilty of violating that section.

It's amazing how much power we imbue a simple piece of cloth of. Burning it should be legal. Encouraged, even, until every last citizen realizes that America was established upon insurrection and it this nation is ours, not the billionaires who spend millions trying to tell us how to vote. Until Washington is cleansed, flags should be burned and displayed upside down. Perhaps we should even promote burning one on election day so hopefully it will remind people of why they hate our politicians every other day and will go vote and vote someone who doesn't have an R or D attached to their name. Maybe their should even be rallys were we burn them while reading the Constitution in front of the White House, while taking a moment after each section is read out loud to call out those politicians guilty of violating that section.

Voting and writing your representatives would probably be more logical.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

And pretty ineffective.

Personally, I'm fine with flag-burning. Treason is not something that should exist anymore, except in actions which are directly harmful to the country and government. Flag-burning is directly harmful to neither.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Writing is about the least effective way of getting stuff done, unless you can get enough people to actually do it that it floods the room with mail (and it can't be e-mail because it's too easily ignored). And a part of why I'm saying we should have flag burning events is to get people to vote. It's also a tremendously powerful symbol, and highly controversial, but it's that sort of power that gets noticed.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why is it that people get so wrapped up in symbols? People get more incensed at the desecration of a symbol than the destruction of its referent.

Someone who would prohibit the desecration of the flag desecrates the liberty the flag symbolizes.
Which would be the traitor?

Writing is about the least effective way of getting stuff done, unless you can get enough people to actually do it that it floods the room with mail (and it can't be e-mail because it's too easily ignored). And a part of why I'm saying we should have flag burning events is to get people to vote. It's also a tremendously powerful symbol, and highly controversial, but it's that sort of power that gets noticed.

How many times have you written and or called your representatives?