• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush makes me mad

Bishka

Veteran Member
kai said:
hey and i mean this with respect but.....why dont you guys stop whining what do you want him to do build a fence or open the border sheesh, you start comparing him with past presidents that you criticized just as vociferously at the time they were in , each president has to handle the situations he finds his country in at the time, think of a time with no war no terrorists no immigration problem, and will you find a "good " pesident or one just having an easy ride.

You don't live here, it isn't affecting you, we are are 'whining' for a good reason.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
PureX said:
I agree. I also believe we should close the borders. There are too many of us here, already. But I'm not one of the Bush supporters that I was referring to.

The United States is 172 on the list of countries sorted by population density, we have FAR more room then most countries in the world. The problem with illegal immagration is that it is the new slavery. It allows large corporations to keep wages down while increasing its profit margin. It has been 10 years since there was a minimum wage increase and adjusted for inflation the $5.15 they set it at then is now equal to around $3.95. 21 states now have "living wage" laws on the books. Since the last minimum wage increase Congressional salaries have gone up $31,600.

PureX

Veteran Member
spacemonkey said:
The United States is 172 on the list of countries sorted by population density, we have FAR more room then most countries in the world. The problem with illegal immigration is that it is the new slavery. It allows large corporations to keep wages down while increasing its profit margin. It has been 10 years since there was a minimum wage increase and adjusted for inflation the $5.15 they set it at then is now equal to around $3.95. 21 states now have "living wage" laws on the books. Since the last minimum wage increase Congressional salaries have gone up $31,600.
This is true, and it's why the republicans will do nothing to stop illegal immigration. Probably neither will the democrats, as they are both bought off by the wealthy corporations. But there are still too many of us here in my opinion. There are too many humans on the planet. All our lives would be better off if there were half as many of us. The whole planet would be healthier. I'm frustrated by the fact that we are clever enough to travel to the moon, yet still unable even to govern our own numbers.

Ciscokid

spacemonkey said:
The United States is 172 on the list of countries sorted by population density, we have FAR more room then most countries in the world. The problem with illegal immagration is that it is the new slavery. It allows large corporations to keep wages down while increasing its profit margin. It has been 10 years since there was a minimum wage increase and adjusted for inflation the $5.15 they set it at then is now equal to around $3.95. 21 states now have "living wage" laws on the books. Since the last minimum wage increase Congressional salaries have gone up $31,600.

Ehhh, somehow I just can't feel bad about the new "slavery". The slaves are running to their new masters on their own WILL. Servants could be an ok word but I think "slavery" is just an appeal to emotion.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Ciscokid said:
Ehhh, somehow I just can't feel bad about the new "slavery". The slaves are running to their new masters on their own WILL. Servants could be an ok word but I think "slavery" is just an appeal to emotion.

I use the term "slavery" based on the wages they are paid.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
All our lives would be better off if there were half as many of us. The whole planet would be healthier

So, who should be the first to be spayed, and who should make the decision?

or should we begin by euthanization?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Moon Woman said:
So, who should be the first to be spayed, and who should make the decision?

or should we begin by euthanization?

Better yet, let's turn half the population homosexual... ya know, since we can easily change people's orientations and all. :D

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Maize said:

Better yet, let's turn half the population homosexual... ya know, since we can easily change people's orientations and all. :D

Eggs-actly. Where are those lesbian pills you guys were handing out last night.. here they are! Maybe we can just throw them in the water supply...;)

Ciscokid

Maize said:

You must spread some Karma around before giving it to Maize again.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
spacemonkey said:
I use the term "slavery" based on the wages they are paid.

That is a bastardization of the word "slavery". I would think a true slave would be insulted by it.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Victor said:
That is a bastardization of the word "slavery". I would think a true slave would be insulted by it.

Amen. I hate it when people slaughter the language for the sake of inflammatory rhetoric.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Victor said:

First off, that is the wrong use of bastardization. Bastadization of a word occurs when it is borrowed from another language and the spelling/pronunciation is altered. For example the term "parting shot" is a bartardization of Parthian Shot, a tactic used by Persian horse archers who would feign retreat only to quickly turn and reign arrows down upon their persuers.

I was mearly appling the term to the situation that we have today. I'm not the one who coined the term "slave wage", but it is none the less appropriate for what illegal immegrants are paid in this country. With the abolishment of slavery in the US the people who benafited from slavery have been trying to replace that labor force without cutting their profits and bringing in immagrants to work for next to nothing has been the answer all along. Who built the railroads? Chinese and Mexican migrant workers, that's who (after the work was done the US government then made opium and marijuana illegal so they could then take away the land these migrant workers had settled on).

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
spacemonkey said:
First off, that is the wrong use of bastardization. Bastadization of a word occurs when it is borrowed from another language and the spelling/pronunciation is altered. For example the term "parting shot" is a bartardization of Parthian Shot, a tactic used by Persian horse archers who would feign retreat only to quickly turn and reign arrows down upon their persuers.
If you say so. I've used the word enough times to understand what it's developed into.
spacemonkey said:
I was mearly appling the term to the situation that we have today. I'm not the one who coined the term "slave wage", but it is none the less appropriate for what illegal immegrants are paid in this country. With the abolishment of slavery in the US the people who benafited from slavery have been trying to replace that labor force without cutting their profits and bringing in immagrants to work for next to nothing has been the answer all along. Who built the railroads? Chinese and Mexican migrant workers, that's who (after the work was done the US government then made opium and marijuana illegal so they could then take away the land these migrant workers had settled on).
They can be as greedy as they want and it doesn't imply slavery in the least. I was born and raised in a slave wage and I didn't feel my mom was a slave. If you want to continue using that word then by all means go ahead, but it does nothing positive to contribute to the conversion IMO.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Victor said:
If you say so. I've used the word enough times to understand what it's developed into.

They can be as greedy as they want and it doesn't imply slavery in the least. I was born and raised in a slave wage and I didn't feel my mom was a slave. If you want to continue using that word then by all means go ahead, but it does nothing positive to contribute to the conversion IMO.

Nor to the conversation, Victor. But :yes: you are right.

PureX

Veteran Member
What's actually being discussed, here, is properly called exploitation, not slavery. Slavery is exploitive, granted, but it refers to a far more intense form of exploitation than what goes on in America with illegal aliens.