• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

But you said you were okay with abortion...

Me Myself

Back to my username
It isn't true. What makes you think it is so easy for a woman to just abandon her baby? It isn't all that simple.

A zygote. Aborting is not killing a human being or a baby but stopping the process to make a baby according to the laws we are speaking now.

Most girls in the past have given up their babies up for adoption because the father of the baby didn't want the responsibility. Instead of making it easier for a man to relinquish all his rights, instead make the mother of the baby let the father have a say in adoption if he wants the child and she doesn't. That kind of thing happens, you know.
But a man can't make a child not his child. It will never work that way.

It already works that way. If both agree I understand they can already put it into adoption, or in any case there are various ways in which the baby can be put on adoption

It is also already possible that if the man wants to child and the mother doesn't, the mother can pay the support and the man raise the child.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
OK, I'll bite.

The man (or woman, if the man has custody) should pay according to his (or her) income, whatever that is. Everything should be taken into account, any expenses, including medical expenses. It isn't really a good thing if a man or woman has to live in a car or forgo medical treatment because of child support.

Okay.

I didn't mean to make it sound like he wanted the surgery but couldn't afford it. I was trying to create a situation where he could do it but chooses not to.

Eugene (and others) suggested earlier that if one person's choice (e.g. a woman's choice not to abort) increases the costs for another person, then the person making the choice should be liable for the other cost. I wanted to see whether this still holds true when it's the choice of a man that can affect the costs for a woman.

Renji

A zygote. Aborting is not killing a human being or a baby but stopping the process to make a baby according to the laws we are speaking now.

It already works that way. If both agree I understand they can already put it into adoption, or in any case there are various ways in which the baby can be put on adoption

It is also already possible that if the man wants to child and the mother doesn't, the mother can pay the support and the man raise the child.

So what is a zygote by your definition Me Myself?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I wasn't speaking of abortion. I was speaking of a young mother who is unable to take care of her new baby giving it up to a hospital. In some places they actually allow that.
And as I said earlier, when the baby is at the zygote state, the woman usually doesn't know she's pregnant yet. She usually doesn't know until she skips her first period- which can be up to a month and usually even longer.
And since I am pro-life (yes, pro life and not just pro birth), I have some different ideas about abortion that I don't want to share since this isn't really that kind of debate.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
Keep the baby. Get married. Raise it together. Quit being selfish and irresponsible.

Child:
"mommy and daddy fight all the time and can't stand each other, but at least they're married" "and it's all because of me".

Curious George

Veteran Member
Imagine the following scenario:

'Harry is dating Ana. They thoroughly spoke about how an unplanned pregnancy would be dealt it, and it was agreed that abortion would be an acceptable method. Months later, Ana got pregnant. And she decided she wouldn't go through the abortion anymore. Ana didn't try to deceive Harry when she agreed with abortion back then; she simply had a change of mind after she got pregnant.'

Both sides ( Harry and Ana ) agree to this version of the story.

How should the judiciary system ( laws ) deal with this situation?
Should Ana be forced to undergo an abortion ( of her fetus ), even though her health is being ( more or less ) compromised by this invasive procedure ?
Should Harry be forced to financially support the newborn, even though Ana had previously agreed to abort the fetus in cases of unplanned pregnancy ?
Should Harry be able to renounce his rights to the child to avoid financially supporting it?
How should this issue be settled?

I can tell you exactly how the judiciary system would deal with the situation:

Firstly, there is no contract because there is a lack of consideration. Thus, there would be nothing to enforce. Secondly, were they to arrange some type of contract where there was consideration, any judge would dismiss the case because the actual pregnancy would be termed as unforeseeable. Yet, if for some reason the couple were to somehow show that not only was the pregnancy actually foreseeable but the feelings the wife had were also foreseeable when the contract was made, then the court would still refuse to hear the case because enforcing the contract would be considered illegal. If however, by some chance some sadistic judge allowed the case the defense would drag their feet for a few months and then an abortion would be illegal and the state could not enforce the contract.

Alceste

Vagabond
Child:
"mommy and daddy fight all the time and can't stand each other, but at least they're married" "and it's all because of me".

Or, in the case of my brother's friend who married at 21 due to an unplanned pregnancy, and now will never have a serious relationship with a man again, "Daddy beat mommy into a coma, but at least they got married because of me!"

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I used to have a mantra that said: Don't have sex with someone unless you're willing to share a child with him or her or at least like someone enough to at least get along during picking up for visits. It really doesn't work, but I had it just the same.
;)
Edit: My faith tells me to wait until marriage, but I am thinking about the real world, including outside of my faith.

Alceste

Vagabond
I used to have a mantra that said: Don't have sex with someone unless you're willing to share a child with him or her or at least like someone enough to at least get along during picking up for visits. It really doesn't work, but I had it just the same.
;)
Edit: My faith tells me to wait until marriage, but I am thinking about the real world, including outside of my faith.

I used to have a mantra that said "try it before you buy it". That one worked out great! :D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I used to have a mantra that said "try it before you buy it". That one worked out great! :D

I've had premarital sex (with previous girlfriends) and I've waited until marriage (with my ex). In my experience, I'd say it's better not to wait. IMO, waiting creates problems, not the least of which is that creating a sex-free relationship pre-marriage made it difficult to integrate sexuality into the relationship after marriage.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Comparing natural discrepancies to legal ones is a logical fallacy. Legal mandates are social constructs: they are upheld by the threat of force. Justice pertains to legal procedures, otherwise everyone would be reduced to the lowest common denominator for the sake of being 'fair.'
That was precisely my point. Me Myself, and other proponants of allowing the man to produce children without repercussions, suggest such a plan as an appeal to fairness. They claim that it is unfair to make a man pay for a "woman's choice" (which is a BS concept, btw, to claim that the resulting baby is only the result of the woman's choice, as if it was some miraculous virgin birth), and that allowing men to skip out on payments to a child he didn't want, would somehow even out the scales of justice. In addition, you yourself are guilty of comparing natural discrepancies to legal ones, of which I will expound more at the bottom.

If this is about fairness, if this is merely about making sure that both the man and the woman pay an equal amount, then what a woman must pay due to the inherent nature of how reproduction works should most definitely be factored in. And believe me, men do not want to have to pay that balance.

In addition, in the these arguments, more than once it has been insinuated that abortion somehow allows a woman to make a clean get-away if she doesn't want to have a baby, and that this is analogous to how a man should be allowed a clean get-away if he doesn't want a baby. That is completely false-- a woman must always pay something every single time she gets pregnant-- and that was another point I hoped my post would drive home.

Furthermore the idea women 'suffer' more than men is an ethos feminism has being promoted for the last 30 years to make women scorn men. One could just as easily say that men are missing out on a very beautiful aspect of life by not being able to carry a child, and in fact a lot of men do feel 'hurt' or 'removed' from their own children even in otherwise perfect relationships. "Male breast-feeding" has become a gag of late, but in fact it actually occurs more frequently than a lot of people suspect.

Feminism in general is led by a lot of women who have no clue how men actually operate or think, but are all too willing speak out on what they think men experience or should do.
Ah, so women do not have pain in labor, they do not experience discomfort when pregnant, they don't have any bodily reprucussions from pregnancy, and they don't have to deal with bleeding once a month.

You can sugar-coat it all you want, but there is a huge price to be paid, solely by women, in order to reproduce.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that a man should be able to opt out of paying for at least an abortion - or that abortions should be covered by taxes. The suggestion is that perhaps one person making the most expensive life-altering decision for someone else without their consent is unjust.
She did not make this decision for someone else. It would be just as correct to claim that the man made this life-altering decision for her by getting her pregnant. (Which I think is silly-- both people chose to have sex despite the risk that a baby could result.)

It's funny. Above you claimed that "natural discrepancies" shouldn't play a factor in legal ones. Is it not a "natural discrepancy" that women have one further form of birth control that, due to the biological nature of reproduction, that she and she alone is able to utilize? If this form of birth control fails, if a woman chooses not to utilize it, a baby is produced. How exactly is this different than the failure, or the non-use, of any other form of birth control? Do you suggest that men should be solely responsible for a child when their method of birth control fails (a faulty condom, no condom, no vasectomy, failure to "pull out", etc)? Should women be solely responsible if the pill doesn't work or if she refuses to use it?

When men complain that it is an injustice that they cannot choose to terminate a pregnancy, this is no different than a woman complaining that a man doesn't feel the pain of childbirth. And you made it clear how silly you find that argument. You can't have it both ways.

The ability to choose an abortion is a biological discrepancy. It is a form of birth control available to a woman and not available to a man. Until you are ready to penalize men who choose not to have a vasectomy, or punish failed condom usage or failed pill usage or failed pulling out, you have no honest ground to stand on in your attempt to penalize women who do not avail themselves of abortion.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I find all of this ridiculous, but I ll play ball.

If I do all this AND cut my left leg, am I entitled to not only not pay for the child, but also get some money from the woman because I cut my leg?

Getting more rights because biology gave you more pain doesnt make sense.

Men do not need to pay with their rights what biology did to women.
You were the one who wanted it to be equal. :shrug: I'm just showing you what equality entails.

Since when do men have rights over a woman's body, btw?

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
I've had premarital sex (with previous girlfriends) and I've waited until marriage (with my ex). In my experience, I'd say it's better not to wait. IMO, waiting creates problems, not the least of which is that creating a sex-free relationship pre-marriage made it difficult to integrate sexuality into the relationship after marriage.

I would also say the pressure of waiting until marriage before you have sex may cause people to rush into marriage carelessly. I started having serious relationships at about 18, but didn't meet the man I wanted to grow old with until I was 33. If I'd married one of those first few boyfriends when I was young and horny, I would never have met my husband and soul mate, and that would have been a terrible tragedy.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
The final say on what?

Um, in answer to the Op that you presented:

"
Imagine the following scenario:

'Harry is dating Ana. They thoroughly spoke about how an unplanned pregnancy would be dealt it, and it was agreed that abortion would be an acceptable method. Months later, Ana got pregnant. And she decided she wouldn't go through the abortion anymore. Ana didn't try to deceive Harry when she agreed with abortion back then; she simply had a change of mind after she got pregnant.'

Both sides ( Harry and Ana ) agree to this version of the story.

How should the judiciary system ( laws ) deal with this situation?
Should Ana be forced to undergo an abortion ( of her fetus ), even though her health is being ( more or less ) compromised by this invasive procedure ?
Should Harry be forced to financially support the newborn, even though Ana had previously agreed to abort the fetus in cases of unplanned pregnancy ?
Should Harry be able to renounce his rights to the child to avoid financially supporting it?
How should this issue be settled?
"

I'll reiterate:

Ana has the final say. Period.

Next?

What about my reply do you not understand or comprehend or feel remains unresolved?

Perhaps you felt yours was an insoluble conundrum of exceeding difficulty to lend fair answer in rapt contemplation. In the end, it's not.

Wirey

Fartist
I would also say the pressure of waiting until marriage before you have sex may cause people to rush into marriage carelessly. I started having serious relationships at about 18, but didn't meet the man I wanted to grow old with until I was 33. If I'd married one of those first few boyfriends when I was young and horny, I would never have met my husband and soul mate, and that would have been a terrible tragedy.

Now I remember you! I didn't think you'd ever get that lamp pried out of there. Those cops sure carried a lot of rigging tackle.

BTW, the squirrels lived. They wished they hadn't, but they did.