• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a Christian smoke marijuana?

pwfaith

What do Christians think of this?

It seems to be ok to drink alcohol as it's frequently mentioned in a positive way in the Bible. But how about smoking marijuana?

In most countries it is illegal but apart from that fact what would the Bible think about it?

I think that perhaps it scares Christians as it gives people spiritual insight and turns them into witches.

This is one of those things where I think intent plays a large part in it. Using it in a manner that would destroy one's body, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally would be wrong. Anything that becomes addictive in our life in a negative way is frowned upon in the bible, imo.(such as effects our relationship with God, family, friends, and drags us down rather than building us up). But to use it for medical reasons, I don't see a problem with (again assuming it's not illegal).

pwfaith

Can Christians smoke marijuana? Sure, they can.

Do Christians smoke it? I'm sure a great number of them do.

Should they smoke it? Is that what you really mean to ask?

Some might quote the "Render unto Caesar's" verse as somehow a commandment to always abide by all possible laws regardless of how just or unjust they are. I think we're entitled to question laws themselves... especially victimless 'crimes' and other personally intrusive laws... unless we just want to let ourselves become enslaved by an authoritarian government. I don't think so.

I say Caesar is dead, dude. Why should I render him anything? LOL

Is using drugs a victimless crime? (I don't mean for medical purposes but for recreational use)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Using drugs can be a victimless crime, especially when it comes to marijuana, which doesn't really cause any major problems (outside of lung cancer and other health problems). The problem is becoming addicted to some more powerful drugs, like Meth amphetamines, which although the use itself is victimless, the person using just might do something drastic to get another hit.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Quote:

I don't normally jaywalk. And Christians would get a ticket for it if they are caught, the same as anyone else. ;)

And that one ticket will mean my entire life is over :(
There is also a bigger chance to be hit by car while jaywalking. And if you are hit in a crosswalk, the driver is in the wrong, but it wouldn't be the driver's fault if he/she hits someone while jaywalking (at least not necessarily, depends on the situation, too). Of course, being hit, we would be just as hurt (or dead) no matter where we are when we are hit by a car.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Let's expand this subject a little.

Is there any difference between smoking pot which is illegal and say, speeding on the highway?

Do you believe there is greater and lesser sins?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

Is there any difference between smoking pot which is illegal and say, speeding on the highway?

Both are breaking the law. Granted, for one of them you get a ticket (normally) and for the other you will dragged to jail for possession. So while both are against the law, the price you pay will be different. I think it may be the same for sin. Maybe.

SCHIZO

It seems to be ok to drink alcohol as it's frequently mentioned in a positive way in the Bible. But how about smoking marijuana?

In most countries it is illegal but apart from that fact what would the Bible think about it?

I think that perhaps it scares Christians as it gives people spiritual insight and turns them into witches.

Jesus says, It is not what goes into your body that will defile you. It is the words that come out of your mouth that will defile you.

Marijuana is fine to consume. It is not a sin to use drugs or drink or to smoke cigarettes.

SCHIZO

Sure, a Christian can smoke marijuana.

1 Corinthians 6:12
"All things are allowed, but not all things are beneficial. Still, all things are allowed, but I will not be enslaved by anything."

Paul says yes, as long as it doesn't prevent you from following the teachings of Jesus, basically.

Paul says he will not be enslaved by anything, yet, he is enslaved by Jesus.

SCHIZO

You're neglecting the fact that much spiritual insight can be attained from profound realizations of humor and fits of laughter. Comedy is an often overlooked aspect of spiritual development.

Besides that, it also depends on the environment in which one consumes/inhales the cannabis plant. Done within a serene forest meadow may incite deep feelings of connectivity to the greater natural system that may not be readily accessible to the 9-to-5 busy body that forgot how to really just sit and be.

Of course, marijuana isn't crucial in practicing meditation or contemplation of nature but it certainly magnifies the experiences when done properly. I view it as a spiritual aid or tool, although one must be careful not to become dependent upon it for spiritual insight and living.

What is the danger of becoming dependent upon drugs for spiritual insight and living. I was indulgent with drugs and I have survived. I don't see what the big deal is about using drugs in excess. I've used them in excess and...and...what? Is that just a learned thought--take caution when using your drugs? Or is it people just can't handle their drugs?

Awoon

Since a Christian can be anyone who calls theirself Christian and I know a lot that do and they smoke marijuana its Ok.

outhouse

Atheistically

speeding is not a sin because a governement wants to collect fees for a state imposed law.

now affecting ones mind was frowned on by christianity.

"can" someone yes they can

Fester

It's given me spiritual insight. I wouldn't say it messes with my mind so much as expands it. It really does. It enables your thoughts and mystical feelings to randomize into newer and more profound formations. My point is just that you cannot say it does not give anyone spiritual insight because it definitely does.

Those who've never even attempted to utilize it in this manner probably don't really know its experiential properties. It's one thing to let a TV AD or a church leader tell you what marijuana does, and quite another thing to actually experience it for yourself. It may not be for everyone, but its wrong for the government to outlaw it for everyone else.
I've experienced it for myself. You might feel spiritually heightened by it. Or you might feel incredibly sexy and brilliantly funny. It all depends on how your brain cells are affected.