• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a Christian smoke marijuana?

OnPower

What do Christians think of this?

It seems to be ok to drink alcohol as it's frequently mentioned in a positive way in the Bible. But how about smoking marijuana?

In most countries it is illegal but apart from that fact what would the Bible think about it?

I think that perhaps it scares Christians as it gives people spiritual insight and turns them into witches.

NO

cannot smoke

Straw Dog

sure

the Lord said that you are a temple and you belong to Him

smoke pollutes HIS property

Did he actually say that smoke pollutes his property? Or did you just add that bit? Don't many temples burn incense in celebration?

Besides it doesn't need to be smoked. It can also be vaporized and inhaled or eaten in food form.

Straw Dog

sure

the Lord said that you are a temple and you belong to Him

smoke pollutes HIS property

The Lord also said, "It's not what goes into your mouth that defiles you; you are defiled by the words that come out of your mouth." Matthew 15:11

OnPower

1 Cor 6:19-20
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Straw Dog

1 Cor 6:19-20
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Exactly, and some Christians glorify the Holy Ghost by burning the incense of marijuana within their temples.

Straw Dog

in a bong?

Marijuana isn't literally incense nor is the body literally a temple. We were debating in a metaphorical language. I have several Christian friends that honestly feel closer to God and Jesus whenever they use it in a proper manner. They claim to have profound realizations about what God has planned for them in life as well as seeing deeper levels into the teachings of the Bible.

Who are we to dictate how they should relate to their God?

justify, justify, just if i lie

Nice rhyme actually haha. I'll have to remember it.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't know that Jesus' intention with that "Render unto Caesar's" verse was that everyone should always obey the government and the law in every case. I mean, it was illegal to be a Christian at different times in different places so, by that logic, should Christians have abandoned their faith because it was a sin to go against the law of the land? Just some food for thought...

You do make a very good point. At the same time, however, smoking pot is not something we need to do, unless it is for medical purposes, of course. :)

pwfaith

I don't know that Jesus' intention with that "Render unto Caesar's" verse was that everyone should always obey the government and the law in every case. I mean, it was illegal to be a Christian at different times in different places so, by that logic, should Christians have abandoned their faith because it was a sin to go against the law of the land? Just some food for thought...

Perhaps it's good to look at the passage in context:
All of you must be willing to obey completely those who rule over you. There are no authorities except the ones God has chosen. Those who now rule have been chosen by God. So when you oppose the authorities, you are opposing those whom God has appointed. Those who do that will be judged.If you do what is right, you won't need to be afraid of your rulers. But watch out if you do what is wrong! You don't want to be afraid of those in authority, do you? Then do what is right. The one in authority will praise you. He serves God and will do you good. But if you do wrong, watch out! The ruler doesn't carry a sword for no reason at all. He serves God. And God is carrying out his anger through him. The ruler punishes anyone who does wrong.

You must obey the authorities. Then you will not be punished. You must also obey them because you know it is right.

That's also why you pay taxes. The authorities serve God. Ruling takes up all their time. Give to everyone what you owe. Do you owe taxes? Then pay them. Do you owe anything else to the government? Then pay it. Do you owe respect? Then give it. Do you owe honor? Then show it.
With that in mind we can also look at Acts 5 that says as long as the law of the land does not contradict the law of God, we are bound to obey the law of the land. As soon as the law of the land contradicts God's command, we are to disobey the law of the land and obey God's law (which sometimes may carry consequences as well, just look at Peter and John). So no they should not have abandoned their faith b/c (as in Acts 5) God and God's law come first, even though one might suffer terribly for it by the law of the land.

Last edited:
What do Christians think of this?

It seems to be ok to drink alcohol as it's frequently mentioned in a positive way in the Bible. But how about smoking marijuana?

In most countries it is illegal but apart from that fact what would the Bible think about it?

I think that perhaps it scares Christians as it gives people spiritual insight and turns them into witches.

God gave us every plant to use-medicinally, religiously, culinary, apothecary, So why would God have a problem with it? eat it-don't smoke it-drink it-it's a freely growing herbal weed-much like dandelions-[which make a fine wine]-marijuana='munchies'=truth-marijuana gives them an appetite which treatment and the cancer takes away. lacking proper nutrition and the patient has a rougher time making it through-radiation is hell on the body-marijuana provides a little repite from hell here on earth. I would recommend it.

OnPower

Actually I'm a fairly successful college student. This piece of toast has a 3.7 GPA, so perhaps your stereotype of pot users as being burned out losers is inaccurate?

do me a favor and get back to me concerning how far that degree gets you. Right now, graduating students are leaving school with an average of 30 grand in debt and.......no jobs

good luck, you are gonna need it :bow:

Genesis 1:29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.
-
And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Genesis 9:3 Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.
Psalm 104:14 He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivate--bringing forth food from the earth: