• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a Christian smoke marijuana?

nnmartin

What do Christians think of this?

It seems to be ok to drink alcohol as it's frequently mentioned in a positive way in the Bible. But how about smoking marijuana?

In most countries it is illegal but apart from that fact what would the Bible think about it?

I think that perhaps it scares Christians as it gives people spiritual insight and turns them into witches.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
I think they are required to obey the laws of the land, within reason. If it were legal I think they would be safe every once in a while. All things in moderation.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
You know what is really funny !!
All those giggling witches, and, what was we laughing at,
jeez......you look like a terrible giggling witch,
now that was funny, wasn't it, where's that hitter.
What were we laughing at......I don't really remember.
~
How does "spiritul insight", or, getting hi, turn anyone into anything,
let alone into witches, IMAGINATION plus!
You get hi for about an hour or three, laugh alot, come down,
and go about your business, what ever that is, no big problem.
The next time I get hi, I'll remember this little post and to laughing my arse off.
~
Won't you ?
`mud

etherealascension

Secular Buddhist Humanist
Isn't there a Bible verse pertaining to god "putting the herb on the earth for man's use"? I'd say that answers this question pretty well.

Bob Dixon

>implying
Sure, a Christian can smoke marijuana.

1 Corinthians 6:12
"All things are allowed, but not all things are beneficial. Still, all things are allowed, but I will not be enslaved by anything."

Paul says yes, as long as it doesn't prevent you from following the teachings of Jesus, basically.

Straw Dog

You know what is really funny !!
All those giggling witches, and, what was we laughing at,
jeez......you look like a terrible giggling witch,
now that was funny, wasn't it, where's that hitter.
What were we laughing at......I don't really remember.
~
How does "spiritul insight", or, getting hi, turn anyone into anything,
let alone into witches, IMAGINATION plus!
You get hi for about an hour or three, laugh alot, come down,
and go about your business, what ever that is, no big problem.
The next time I get hi, I'll remember this little post and to laughing my arse off.
~
Won't you ?
`mud

You're neglecting the fact that much spiritual insight can be attained from profound realizations of humor and fits of laughter. Comedy is an often overlooked aspect of spiritual development.

Besides that, it also depends on the environment in which one consumes/inhales the cannabis plant. Done within a serene forest meadow may incite deep feelings of connectivity to the greater natural system that may not be readily accessible to the 9-to-5 busy body that forgot how to really just sit and be.

Of course, marijuana isn't crucial in practicing meditation or contemplation of nature but it certainly magnifies the experiences when done properly. I view it as a spiritual aid or tool, although one must be careful not to become dependent upon it for spiritual insight and living.

Last edited:

Straw Dog

It seems to be ok to drink alcohol as it's frequently mentioned in a positive way in the Bible. But how about smoking marijuana?

In most countries it is illegal but apart from that fact what would the Bible think about it?

I think that perhaps it scares Christians as it gives people spiritual insight and turns them into witches.

Can Christians smoke marijuana? Sure, they can.

Do Christians smoke it? I'm sure a great number of them do.

Should they smoke it? Is that what you really mean to ask?

Some might quote the "Render unto Caesar's" verse as somehow a commandment to always abide by all possible laws regardless of how just or unjust they are. I think we're entitled to question laws themselves... especially victimless 'crimes' and other personally intrusive laws... unless we just want to let ourselves become enslaved by an authoritarian government. I don't think so.

I say Caesar is dead, dude. Why should I render him anything? LOL

Last edited:

Fester

Grass does not give anyone "spiritual insight". It messes with your mind, and that's it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
And it was the Carpenter who said.....
"No man is defiled by what enters the mouth.....
.....you are defiled by what comes out."

In all fairness, the topic on His day was not marijuana.
But this blanket statement is correct...even so.

It's true.
Regardless of what you consume....it will be you what you declare, that matters.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I believe that as much as it is not in contradiction with God's principles, we should abide by the law of the land.

What makes smoking weed "wrong" in the US, is that it's illegal and the consequences of illegal activity - any illegal activity - can cause us to wreck our lives and the lives of those close to us.

Irresponsibility and disregard for our obligations are both wrong attitudes which can have dire consequences.

It's just not worth the trouble, dude.

I Corinthians 10:23 - All things are lawful for me: but all things do not edify.
1 Corinthians 10:23 Everything is permissible--but not everything is beneficial. Everything is - Online Bible Study Tools

Last edited:

nnmartin

Grass does not give anyone "spiritual insight". It messes with your mind, and that's it.

the Rastafaris may disagree with you there.

They believe the former king of Ethiopia , was the Messiah.

They use the natural herb to commune with him spiritually as far as I'm aware.

How about the Native American Indians, Indian spiritual leaders etc.. don't they use magical products to gain insight?

Straw Dog

It's given me spiritual insight. I wouldn't say it messes with my mind so much as expands it. It really does. It enables your thoughts and mystical feelings to randomize into newer and more profound formations. My point is just that you cannot say it does not give anyone spiritual insight because it definitely does.

Those who've never even attempted to utilize it in this manner probably don't really know its experiential properties. It's one thing to let a TV AD or a church leader tell you what marijuana does, and quite another thing to actually experience it for yourself. It may not be for everyone, but its wrong for the government to outlaw it for everyone else.

no-body

I
What makes smoking weed "wrong" in the US, is that it's illegal and the consequences of illegal activity - any illegal activity - can cause us to wreck our lives and the lives of those close to us.

I'll try to remember that next time I jaywalk.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

Maybe it wouldn't be if marijuana wasn't against the law of the land. We are obligated to obey the laws of the land, according to what Jesus taught.