• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a person be fired from their job just for being gay?

Is it legal where you live to fire someone just for being gay.

• Total voters

Skwim

Veteran Member
In Indiana you can be fired for any reason at all and without warning as it is an "at will" employment state. Your case is still reviewed for unemployment benefits, and it can be deemed your firing was unjust, but an employer can still fire you for anything and the paperwork you sign before getting a job makes this clear.
CORRECTION

"Can my employer fire me?

In Indiana, employees generally serve “at will.” This means that you can be fired for almost any reason, or for no reason at all. You can also quit for any reason, or for no reason at all.

Can my employer fire me because of my race?

No. Your employer cannot fire you because of your race, national origin, sex, religion, age, or physical or mental disability. If you feel you have been fired for one of these reasons, you should immediately contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission at (317) 269-7212 or the Indiana Civil Rights Commission at (317) 232-2600 and see about filing a complaint. You must file this complaint before you can file a lawsuit. You may want to talk to a private attorney before you contact the above agencies. There are time limits for filing a complaint before these agencies, as well as for filing a case in Court, so you should proceed as quickly as possible."
source
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR
"A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation. A social justice warrior, or SJW, does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of. They typically repeat points from whoever is the most popular blogger or commenter of the moment, hoping that they will "get SJ points" and become popular in return. They are very sure to adopt stances that are "correct" in their social circle."
source

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What is an SJW?
Social Justice Warrior.

Social justice is a good thing. But all too often people get so caught up in the way they think the world is that they have a poor grasp on the reality. So they fight the battles of a few decades ago, or don't see the new problems at all because it is unPC.
Tom

Skwim

Veteran Member
You do realize that really isn't a correction, don't you? It says the same thing I said.
No it doesn't.

You said: "In Indiana you can be fired for any reason at all. . . ."

The article said: ". . . you can be fired for almost any reason, or for no reason at all."

The "almost" is very significant because recognizes those reasons for which you can't be fired: race, national origin, sex, religion, age, or physical or mental disability.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Social Justice Warrior.

Social justice is a good thing. But all too often people get so caught up in the way they think the world is that they have a poor grasp on the reality. So they fight the battles of a few decades ago, or don't see the new problems at all because it is unPC.
Tom
Ah, so it is a pathetic ad hominem attack, then kind of thing that is best ignored. Good to know.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
You said: "In Indiana you can be fired for any reason at all. . . ."

The article said: ". . . you can be fired for almost any reason, or for no reason at all."
It also says "or for no reason at all."

Deidre

There are laws in place here in the US that prohibit someone being fired for sexual orientation, religion, race, gender, etc. This doesn’t mean that employers always adhere to the laws, unfortunately. Many people are fired for reasons having nothing to do with job performance, conduct, etc.

Draka

Wonder Woman
There are laws in place here in the US that prohibit someone being fired for sexual orientation, religion, race, gender, etc. This doesn’t mean that employers always adhere to the laws, unfortunately. Many people are fired for reasons having nothing to do with job performance, conduct, etc.
Only in certain states. In most states it is legal to fire someone for their sexual orientation.

dust1n

Zindīq
On the flip side, I guess it would be possible to fire anyone on the premise that they are straight..., at least here.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I think many people just naturally think that you can't be fired or discriminated against for certain things. That either the U.S. or their states have more anti-discrimination laws than they actually do. More people should really look up the discrimination laws in their state. They all do vary state to state. This is what we get with "state rights" in a country that has a constitution and bill of rights that are suppose to speak about rights for all citizens. It took a long time for gay marriage to become a federal issue. Wonder how long before anti-discrimination will.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It also says "or for no reason at all."
Yup. Federal law says that in general if you employ 15 or more people you can't fire a person because of their race, national origin, sex, religion, age, or physical or mental disability, which Indiana acknowledges by including "almost" in its statement, "you can be fired for almost any reason, . . . ." However, in order to get around this abhorrent restriction (my suspicion is they wanted to give an employer the right to fire an employee because of their race) Indiana legislators added the proviso that you could fire anyone you wanted if you had no reason whatsoever. Asinine? Of course it is. It's moronic, but these are state legislators who depend on their bigoted constituency for reelection funding and votes.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Indiana legislators added the proviso that you could fire anyone you wanted if you had no reason whatsoever. Asinine? Of course it is. It's moronic, but these are state legislators who depend on their bigoted constituency for reelection funding.
It's not just in legal state documents, but even when you sign all the paper work for employment. Here, at least any where I've worked, you sign a paper saying you acknowledge your "at will" employment, something the state says is legal, and you can be fired for any reason without warning.

Deidre

I think many people just naturally think that you can't be fired or discriminated against for certain things. That either the U.S. or their states have more anti-discrimination laws than they actually do. More people should really look up the discrimination laws in their state. They all do vary state to state. This is what we get with "state rights" in a country that has a constitution and bill of rights that are suppose to speak about rights for all citizens. It took a long time for gay marriage to become a federal issue. Wonder how long before anti-discrimination will.
Yep, true. Think you've helped me emerge out of my bubble today. ^_^ In all seriousness, that blows my mind that there still are not laws in place in many states to protect gay people from being fired due to their sexual orientation.

dust1n

Zindīq
It's not just in legal state documents, but even when you sign all the paper work for employment. Here, at least any where I've worked, you sign a paper saying you acknowledge your "at will" employment, something the state says is legal, and you can be fired for any reason without warning.

It doesn't matter what you sign. I can sign a form that says "I can be fired to the basis of being a white male." If I am fired on the basis of being a white male, it's still illegal, even though I signed otherwise. So, if one is going to fire me (and has over 14 employees) they probably shouldn't mentioned my race or gender, especially if it's recorded at all...

Skwim

Veteran Member
Just be aware there are exceptions. The "for any reason" is not absolute.

Statutory exceptions to "at will" employment

Although all U.S. states have a number of statutory protections for employees, most wrongful termination suits brought under statutory causes of action use the federal anti-discrimination statutes which prohibit firing or refusing to hire an employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or handicap status. Other reasons an employer may not use to fire an at-will employee are:

:bssquare:for refusing to commit illegal acts – An employer is not permitted to fire an employee because the employee refuses to commit an act that is illegal.
:bssquare:family or medical leave – federal law permits most employees to take a leave of absence for specific family or medical problems. An employer is not permitted to fire an employee who takes family or medical leave for a reason outlined in the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.
:bssquare:in retaliation against the employee for a protected action taken by the employee – "protected actions" include suing for wrongful termination, testifying as a witness in a wrongful termination case, or even opposing what they believe, whether they can prove it or not, to be wrongful discrimination.In the recent federal case of Ross v. Vanguard, Raymond Ross successfully sued his employer for firing him due to his allegations of racial discrimination.
Source: Wikipedia.​

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Where I live you can't be fired for being gay. However, apparently you can be fired for being openly Satanic or Setian. I have worked for my share of corporations, and have been fired from two of them for being openly "Satanic" / Setian. In their words, "we do not employ "Satanistic" or "demonic-worshippers". Homosexuals have a much better hand in todays work-a-day world than folks like me. I am self-employed right now, but should I go back into the corporate world I am keeping my personal beliefs and even my politics to myself.
Wtf. That's religious discrimination, though!