• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a person not believe in the God of Abraham and be a Christian?

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
No, and I don't understand why you would want to call yourself Christian if you reject the most basic things He espoused.

"Jesus said to him: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart and with thy whole soul and with thy whole mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment"
What are you on about???

I do love God

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I don't believe in a Supreme Being, I am a Pantheist

My "God" is metaphysical rather than personal

I don't believe in this guy:

View attachment 96939

However: I believe that Jesus Christ is somehow real (but won't go into the details of that here, not right now)

I believe that he is at work in our world right now, and I find the stories about him in the Christian scriptures to be inspiring and wise

So I don't know whether or not I can call myself a Christian

On RF the Christian DIR is under the Abrahamic DIR so I don't think I can really be active in there if I don't believe in the God that most people who profess to be Christians believe in

There are cultural Christians, some of which are atheists and many other are deists. I'm not too fond of that terminology, but it is well known enough.

But since you are a pantheist... it seems to me that you perceive Jesus as an Avatar of a sort.

Is that being a Christian? I would think not, but I am not one to decide.

The core difficulty IMO is that ultimately (and increasingly) Christianity - very much despite its own behavior and practices - does indeed expect adherents to be sincere believers in the literal existence of Abraham's God.

The way I see it you believe in a Jesus that isn't really the same or compatible with that of what is generally understood as Christianity.

For what it is worth, I fully believe that neither Abraham's God nor a historical Jesus ever existed. I consider the Gospels as fables with a fully fictional Jesus and expect that early Christians understood as much.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

View attachment 96939

However: I believe that Jesus Christ is somehow real (but won't go into the details of that here, not right now)

I believe that he is at work in our world right now, and I find the stories about him in the Christian scriptures to be inspiring and wise

On RF the Christian DIR is under the Abrahamic DIR so I don't think I can really be active in there if I don't believe in the God that most people who profess to be Christians believe in
I would say that trying to make an argument you are Christian given the beliefs you have may be a bit like trying to force a square peg into a round hole. That is absolutely not to disrespect your beliefs, only to say that they just don't sound Christian. The Christian Bible includes the Jewish texts, which are all about the God of Abraham.

There are many people who draw inspiration from Jesus to various degrees but who are not Christian. You seem to be closer to that . :)

Have you ever considered Unitarian Universalism?

Ebionite

Sorry, I don't see how you can make a such claim, when it is literally what the Bible says.
No, the Bible does not support your claim.

Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:
And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
Acts 11:25-26

Eliana

Just to be clear I think Christians are idolaters, but the idea of believing in Jesus and not the G-d of Abraham is silly. Jesus said repeatedly that HaShem existed and promoted the notion that they were intertwined, therefore believing in Jesus but not G-d is calling Jesus a liar.

No, the Bible does not support your claim.

Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:
And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
Acts 11:25-26
Sorry, maybe I don't understand your point. I said, a Christian = a disciple of Jesus. Acts 11:25-26 says disciples were called Christian first in Antioch. Please explain why do you think it does not mean a Christian = a disciple of Jesus?

Ebionite

Sorry, maybe I don't understand your point. I said, a Christian = a disciple of Jesus. Acts 11:25-26 says disciples were called Christian first in Antioch. Please explain why do you think it does not mean a Christian = a disciple of Jesus?
Because it doesn't say that a Christian is a disciple of Jesus. It says that the Christians were disciples (presumably of Jesus) who were part of a group who were taught by Paul. The distinction of Pauline influence becomes more pronounced with the book of Revelation, where the target audience were those who had rejected Paul, and therefore didn't really meet the definition of Christian even through they were the ecclesia of the voice of the Revelation of the book of John.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
If you follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, I would consider you to be a Christian.

But this is where it gets a bit murky due to interpretation of scripture.

Those that believe Jesus is the God of Abraham or that the God of Abraham was the Father Jesus references in Scripture would not consider you a Christian.

servant1

View attachment 96939

Few on earth claiming to be Christian know the true living God=the Abrahamic God.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Years of study=the bible, religions, history of religious events.
Perhaps you would have a more complete picture by actually engaging the people you make these claims about instead of relying exclusively on the texts you've studied. There may be more...Christians and non-Christians alike...who understand the qualities (and/or lack thereof) of a "true living God" than you think. :)

Until you do this, formulating claims about others and passing them off as universal truths based on studies of the Bible, religions, and religious events comes across and arrogant and pretentious.

servant1

Perhaps you would have a more complete picture by actually engaging the people you make these claims about instead of relying exclusively on the texts you've studied. There may be more...Christians and non-Christians alike...who understand the qualities (and/or lack thereof) of a "true living God" than you think. :)

Until you do this, formulating claims about others and passing them off as universal truths based on studies of the Bible, religions, and religious events comes across and arrogant and pretentious.
I am a bottom line reality kind of person. I don't believe there is much time left in this satan ruled system to beat around the bush. Maybe that is why Jesus said his followers would be hated. They hated Jesus and his back then and murdered them. Not for teaching, Love, peace and unity, but for exposing the worlds darkness. The world does not like it.
Yes many can understand things about the true living God, but this world has twisted who he really is. For example:

The teaching of a literal eternal suffering is a untrue teaching against the true living God. The darkness teaches it as literal..

Andrew Stephen

Stephen Andrew
Premium Member
Peace to all,

True and good information, Thanks.

To me the God of Abraham promised, swore by His own Name eternal life to the descendents of Abraham and Isaac, and 2000 years later He fufilled it with His Son, Jesus.

Peace always,
Stephen Andrew

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I am a bottom line reality kind of person. I don't believe there is much time left in this satan ruled system to beat around the bush. Maybe that is why Jesus said his followers would be hated. They hated Jesus and his back then and murdered them. Not for teaching, Love, peace and unity, but for exposing the worlds darkness. The world does not like it.
Are these people still "on earth?" Who are you calling "The world"?

How many of those "claiming to be Christian" with which you've engaged in your lifetime that are alive today tell you they hate Jesus and his followers?

Andrew Stephen

Stephen Andrew
Premium Member
Peace to all,

The logic of from, through and for Him.

To me the God of Abraham promised, swore by His own Name eternal life to the descendents of Abraham and Isaac, and 2000 years later He fufilled it with His Son, Jesus.

To me in logic, Abrahamic Faiths believes in a spirit and the Holy Spirit is the person in Being delivered from the Ark of the New Covenant through the Person of Jesus as The Christ for all mankind.

To me the logic follows:
“For from him, The Person of The Holy Spirit and through him, the Person of Jesus and for him, the Person of The Father are all things” is a verse from the Bible, Romans 11:36

The Logic of the Power of the Trinity is in the power of the Persons in beings.

In logic God delivers the Will of the Father through The Son, The Christ as conceived by the Person of the Holy Spirit in the Person of Jesus. And uniting all becoming immortal and corruptible as one in being together with the Father and The Son becoming again re-sanctified and glorified and transfigured into the image of The Creator God for The Father.

Peace always,
Stephen Andrew

Quote Reply

Last edited: