• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can An Atheist Believe in God?

footprints

Actually, in the case of atheism, belief or disbelief in deities defines which side of the line a person is on.

However, if you disagree, I invite you to give me an example of an atheist who believes in God. Just one. Be specific.

You didn't understand the probabilty statements? It was all clearly laid out, I see no need to repeat them, just look at the previous answer.

gnostic

The Lost One
logician said:
What does this mean?

I mean that an atheist can convert to a religion if he believe in the existence of god(s), and stop becoming an unbeliever, hence no longer an atheist.

Peacewise

Simple question: Can you believe that god(s) exist and still be an atheist?

If so, please explain your position.

If not, is there any other belief which would also disqualifiy you as an atheist?

No, the definition of the word atheist is someone who denies the existence of God or Gods.

atheist
// (say 'aytheeuhst)
noun someone who denies or disbelieves the existence of God (or gods).

There is no other belief that disqualifies a person from being an atheist.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

If not, is there any other belief which would also disqualifiy you as an atheist?

I saw an atheist once at the very moment he started believing in a god. He instantly vanished in a puff of logic. But in that very same instant, a deist popped into existence to replace him. He appeared physically identical & had the same memories, but he now had a different belief & label. It would appear that mass & energy are conserved upon religious conversion.

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I think an Atheist could believe in a god if it was an entirely impersonal one. After all, Einstein believed in an impersonal god as a Pantheist, and I've heard people say he was also an Atheist.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
No. You cannot believe in god and be an atheist.

And there isn't any other belief that atheists are not allowed to have.

Just that there's no god. :D

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

Wouln't that be considered an agnostic/atheist...?

I've seen it some peoples titles around here.

footprints

Theism is defined as a belief in god or gods.

Atheism is the lack of that, by definition.

It is logically impossible for something to be A and not A simultaneously.

Is this seriously under discussion?

Is this seriously under discussion?... Only by people who are interested and serious, others of course will fall back on whatever their belief patterns tell them, and believe they have the answer already.

All belief patterns held by the human brain, are held in place by faith, to a greater or lesser degree. The sole reason we have different levels of atheism ranging from the very weak, to the extremist irrationalist. Dawkins for one gives dieties a probability, a very insignificant one, but a probability never the less. So are you now saying Dawkins cannot be an atheist, because of your A and A scenario?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You didn't understand the probabilty statements? It was all clearly laid out, I see no need to repeat them, just look at the previous answer.
I don't think they make sense, no. Atheism isn't about how likely a person thinks God is; it's about whether a person believes in God or not. It's an either-or proposition.

However, if you disagree, perhaps you could tell us what, besides non-belief in gods, can make a person an atheist.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
This thread is far more fascinating than I could have imagined. I was actually going somewhere with it originally, but seeing what semantical and mental knots people will tie themselves into trying to argue that an atheist can believe in god is pure entertainment.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
This thread is far more fascinating than I could have imagined. I was actually going somewhere with it originally, but seeing what semantical and mental knots people will tie themselves into trying to argue that an atheist can believe in god is pure entertainment.
Lol it really is amazing. You'd think the definition of the word "atheitst" itself would be enough to call this one a clear NO.