• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Atheists/Non-religious Lead Completely Moral Lives?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Evidence would be nice.
I have given life to 3 children, after a certain time of pregnancy i do not have any right to take that life away, why should your god be any different?
I wouldn't count the bibl as evidence

Do you mean evidence for a god?
Or do you mean evidence for rights?

As far as I can tell neither have any evidence.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I don't think I am the one who determines it.
And yet you have post #146...

It is Jesus who does that and has the right to do so.
Is this to say you think Jesus gave you the authority to determine who is and who is not a Christian?
Or perhaps just the who is not part?

Why do you think Jesus is not the right person to decide who are his disciples?
Unless you are claiming to be Jesus, we are not talking about Jesus making the determination.
We are talking about YOU making that determination in post #146

PureX

Veteran Member
Do you mean evidence for a god?
Or do you mean evidence for rights?

As far as I can tell neither have any evidence.
The evidence for faith is the results of engaging in it. But when someone rejects faith as a possibility, they reject that body of evidence. They become blind to it.

But it’s still there, and it’s still evidence. Even if the ‘kangaroo judges’ can’t see it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The evidence for faith is the results of engaging in it. But when someone rejects faith as a possibility, they reject that body of evidence. They become blind to it.

But it’s still there, and it’s still evidence. Even if the ‘kangaroo judges’ can’t see it.

Well, yes. But to me it is different versions of evidence. :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Please provide details of your claimed evidence.
Meaning hard, verifiable evidence, not "i believe".

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
can-atheists-non-religious-lead-completely-moral-lives
Nobody is completely moral all of the time, so let's rephrase that as usually moral.

That depends on where your morals come from and thus what values you esteem as moral. Mine come from my conscience, and I am satisfied that they direct me to lead an upright life of personal integrity and kindness and justice for others.

But if they come from the Christian Bible, for example, then no, an atheist cannot be moral, which I recently covered in a similarly titled thread here in response to a Christian who asserted that atheists are selfish hedonists.
No, lack of belief in God/gods compels us to run out into the street in frenzied mobs, raping, pillaging and defiling all manner of holy edifices and art. Oh, and especially molest minors.
Maybe you've already seen this from Penn Jillette:

"The question I get asked by religious people all the time is, without God, what’s to stop me from raping all I want? And my answer is: I do rape all I want. And the amount I want is zero. And I do murder all I want, and the amount I want is zero. The fact that these people think that if they didn’t have this person watching over them that they would go on killing, raping rampages is the most self-damning thing I can imagine. I don't want to do that. Right now, without any god, I don't want to jump across this table and strangle you. I have no desire to strangle you. I have no desire to flip you over and rape you."
I've had the golden rule idea knocked out of me by Christians.
Actually, they're telling you how they want to be treated by you, or at least giving you cause to treat them just as badly.

Humanism actually embodies the Golden Rule in its best form, which is more like treat people as they want to be treated rather than as you want them to treat you. Humanism is about developing human potential and maximizing dignity and opportunity for all. It is egalitarian, and that is what love is - action that promotes the well-being of others, not words or feelings.

The church gives lip service to that but look at what we're seeing in this thread. Look at all of the misogyny, atheophobia, and homophobia coming from that church. It represents itself as a source of virtue promoting love, moral behavior, goodness, and charity, but we look at what they do, not what they say, and too often, see something else.
Links and no, I've already checked them out and closed them out. I don't care enough to find them again. You can provide the Pew Research link though since you brought that up. Or not, I really don't care.
If you don't care, why should she or anybody else? You're expecting others to believe that you can read a report like that, understand it, and faithfully report what it said. Your report contradicted @ChristineM's opinion as well as mine. Which do you think we'll do - hunt down the report and survey it to see if you got it right, or just assume that since you don't really care to try to support your claims, that you probably didn't understand what you read?
I have no reason or desire to visit your kangaroo courtroom.
Same answer as @Kathryn got. If you won't subject an evidenced argument to critical scrutiny, it's not worth thinking about again. It looks like the experience has been negative for you in the past and you don't want to deal with a reasoned rebuttal, but here comes one anyway:
when someone rejects faith as a possibility, they reject that body of evidence.
The critical thinker rejects faith as a path to knowledge. I tried it once, remember? Early in my Christian walk - first year, actually, while in the Army - I was sitting on the barracks steps one evening with my girlfriend, the Christian who brought me to Jesus, where I witnessed crepuscular rays piercing through the clouds, felt a frisson travel my spine, and thought that the Holy Spirit was guiding me to ask this woman to be my wife. So, I asked her, and we got married. Big mistake. It was a loveless marriage for me, and I really hated disappointing her, but I had to once I discovered who I had married. You really don't want to be making decisions based in such notions. Well, I don't, anyway, and never have again.

That's my evidence - experience.

I tried marriage again, this time as an atheistic humanist. After a time evaluating her values and habits, I married another atheistic humanist, and we've been happy for almost 34 years now. That's the proper way to acquire beliefs and make decisions.
The question is not "can they". It's "do they". And the answer for the most part is, no ... They could. The problem is they don't seem to want to.
Yet another mind shaped by that church and its atheophobic bigotry. I suppose you think your opinion is ethical. I consider it bigotry. But we get our values from different sources.

Incidentally, I call myself an antitheist, by which I mean not that I am against theists, but rather, their religion when it teaches them to be bigots, in part because it churns out so many of what I consider immoral people. But not just that. It also has infected the American government and begun imposing its puritanical values on those uninterested in them, and now it's invading the classrooms like kudzu. It is also often anti-intellectual, and teaches that faith is a virtue, and that reason is the enemy of faith. All of that degrades life.

In short, the church is not a good neighbor. It produces and releases too many such people. The good Christians I encounter, many of which post on these threads, seem to be the ones least affected by their religion. I call them theistic humanists. They share my values and agenda, the only difference being that they profess a god belief and possibly say grace or attend church services, but they wouldn't be a part of a congregation that taught these hatreds, and I suspect that they go because they enjoy congregating with others to smile, shake hands, and sing hymns.

This is how my antitheism manifests - frequent firebrand posts like this one usually in response to some believer's bad behavior and unkind words. And though I don't respect such people, I don't blame them for what they are except for the occasional, "shame on you!" I blame their religion. The Christians I respect most are the ones who mostly ignore it's hateful, anti-intellectual, and theocratic message.

My apologies to those better Christians for having to read this, and my congratulations on being better than many others who fill those pews and these threads.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One of the problem is without belief in a higher power, all you will have are other humans, to help keep you honest ... Will the Atheist do the same behavior if nobody is watching?
Are you unfamiliar with what a conscience is and how it works in people who have one? It does what the carrot and stick of Christianity, for example, do for its adherents. My conscience rewards me with warm feeling when I behave morally and makes me feel shame and regret when I don't. That's authentic morality to me. If your behavior is shaped by external reward and punishment, then you're no more moral than a child or a dog, whose behavior is shaped by treats and rolled up magazines (just kidding; don't hit the dog or the child).

It's not other people that make me want to behave morally. Regarding nobody watching, that actually improves the experience. I used to live in rural Missouri, where turtles would be seen crossing desolate country roads. Some of the local good ol' boys in their pickups liked to swerve to kill them, so I would stop when I saw one and take it to the other side of the road in the direction it was heading. Nobody would have seen this but me. I expected no reward apart from the euphoria I got doing good for goodness sake, which more than enough.

Those were spiritual experiences for me. I felt godlike in a constructive sense - at least for a moment is a small corner of the universe - and I felt a rush or thrill. Somebody driving by and witnessing that would have diminished the experience, as it might appear to be virtue signaling and not an authentic love of nature and this creature's life.

Doing these things for fear of a god disapproving because you didn't do them or to get a reward from such a god is a far shallower experience in my experience.
A religious person by believing in a higher power has an extra way to self censor, even when nobody is watching. If you do not believe in a higher power that sees all, you can pretend when people are watching, and cheat if nobody is watching, since who will know?

A good example is the internet where one can become anonymous. In this site, the least tolerant are the Atheists. They are always on the attack and cannot live and let live. Those Atheists who vote D, are more likely to lie or promote deception. They are part of a propaganda group who all recite together. You are not obligated to tell the truth or even admit the truth, since you are anonymous. Most will not say the same things to people's faces, since the push back can become real; two faces will not confront one face. Religious people are more vulnerable having one face. They are more honest and easy to bully, since another face is not an option, if it is deceptive.
More of what this beautiful religion teaches and the kind of people it generates. They've taught you to be an atheophobic bigot who receives his beliefs uncritically and believes them by faith, which has bled over into your politics. Now, you're a bigot against another demographic and bring the same irrational path to belief to the effort, and then bemoan the intolerance of atheists. What aspect of your opinion do you think deserves acceptance rather than rebuke?

We need institutions to teach humanistic values: reason and empathy rather that uncritical thought and bigotry.
I believe it wouldn't matter if they did, they would still be sent to Hell.
And more from that religion.
If there is no objective/universal moral, doesn't it make all moral irrelevant, because anyone can choose whatever they want, and there is no way to say which is the correct moral? ... when morals are not taught, people seem to revert to non moral state.
This is another common trope among believers. Your church is promoting itself on the backs of those that don't accept that it has objective moral truths that come from a god. They use the phrase moral relativity as if it were a moral defect rather than something imposed on us like methodological naturalism.
I think without God, moral is just subjective opinion
Your moral values are also subjective as are everybody else's. You chose them. You might not think so or remember doing that, but you have agreed to accept Christian values, which are subjective notwithstanding its claims to the contrary.
immoral behavior cannot be from the religious. They are not religious, but may pretend to be.
Circular argument and a touch of No True Scotsman. It presupposes the religious are moral, a mistake. It's also the basis of Christians calling the atrocities their deity commits in scripture moral and then embarking on a lifetime of apologetics to explain why drowning the world, for example, is the act of a supremely moral and loving god. You can see some of the result of that kind of thinking on this thread.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I always find IANS very informative and i have learned much from his posts.
Thanks, and back atcha. You're always accurate, kind, and articulate.
Sorry, but I am a member of a group called I Am Not Reading All That, and I'm not. But knock yourself out if you like!
That's fine. It was only three lines addressed to you, but you don't need to read them or reply to them if that's more effort that you're willing to make.

Here's the TLDR version for you, which is about a half a line: "If you don't care, why should she or anybody else?"

The greater point was that it was unlikely that you read a technical report from Pew and accurately paraphrased its content but wanted others to assume you had or else go fact-check you themselves. How do you think your response here affects that judgment?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Thanks, and back atcha. You're always accurate, kind, and articulate.

That's fine. It was only three lines addressed to you, but you don't need to read them or reply to them if that's more effort that you're willing to make.

Here's the TLDR version for you, which is about a half a line: "If you don't care, why should she or anybody else?"

The greater point was that it was unlikely that you read a technical report from Pew and accurately paraphrased its content but wanted others to assume you had or else go fact-check you themselves. How do you think your response here affects that judgment?
Blah blah blah and I don't know or care. I also don't expect you or anyone else to care.

sew.excited73

Wendy-Anne - I am Dutch/British
Perhaps just being human leads to immoral behavior.

So then, can the non-religious become moral agents?
Moral: conforming to a standard of right behavior.
Can anyone?

If yes, then I don’t see why non-religious people would be any less ‘good’ and kindhearted and moral.

It depends on your character and how corruptible you are by your environment. If you have developed a bad character, maybe religion might work corrective, but if you already are good at heart and have never been corrupted, then… why would that not be possible? (I must add that I believe everyone is born pure)