• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Atheists/Non-religious Lead Completely Moral Lives?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Perhaps just being human leads to immoral behavior.

So then, can the non-religious become moral agents?
Moral: conforming to a standard of right behavior.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member

I prefer "correct behaviour" further defined as avoiding demonstrable harm to the extent practical to do so, and I would assert that they/we can at least as much or in certain cases better than the religious can in my view.

Why be moral when you can be ethical instead? If anyone wants to be moral, I feel sorry for them whether they are theists or atheists. Atheists can be moral if they want to be and if they want to follow some rigid standards then that's on then even in my opinion, I think it is foolish. Moralism is a curse and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies, not even the atheists or the talking snake himself.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Why be moral when you can be ethical instead? If anyone wants to be moral, I feel sorry for them whether they are theists or atheists. Atheists can be moral if they want to be and if they want to follow some rigid standards then that's on then even in my opinion, I think it is foolish. Moralism is a curse and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies, not even the atheists or the talking snake himself.

What do you see as the difference between moral an ethical behavior?

What I've read is that moral behavior is personal standards of right and wrong whereas ethical behavior is group standards of what is right and wrong although I suspect there is some crossover.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member

Yes of course they can

Being religious and being moral are separate things

PureX

Veteran Member

Everyone chooses their own ethical imperatives, and our sense of moral behavior is measured by those ethical imperatives. So everyone has their own idea of what is and isn't moral behavior. And I would guess that none of us live up to these ethical imperatives all the time and in every way.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
The question is not "can they". It's "do they". And the answer for the most part is, no.
No, it's not...
Emphasis mine.

You don't get to derail threads to advance your unfounded, unsubstantiated, and biased agenda. Go create your own thread if you want to ask if they do.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The question is not "can they". It's "do they". And the answer for the most part is, no.

But they could choose to be moral if they wanted to without a need for divine intervention?

Even the Christian concept of God seemed to have an expectation of Adam and Eve being able to, on their own make "right" choices.

Argentbear

What do you see as the difference between moral an ethical behavior?

What I've read is that moral behavior is personal standards of right and wrong whereas ethical behavior is group standards of what is right and wrong although I suspect there is some crossover.
Moral behavior is following the rules. Ethical behavior is doing what is right sometimes in defiance of the rules.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think everyone can become a moral agent and conform to "a standard of right behavior". But, the problem may be, what is the right behavior and who gets to decide it.

Well, you do. Or in my case, I do.
However, how I go about that is convoluted.
I find my moral standards to be a combination of culture, I suspect genetics, experience and some rational thinking on my part.

Of course what you and I see as moral behavior my have some differences.