• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can God Defy Logic?

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Yes, I am wondering, as I posted to you and my posts are gone. I am not a happy camper.
I hate Facebook with a passion. I'd rather be bored than go on there.

I saw your posts and replied to them, but they all got washed away in the botched change of servers by the hosting company. Now we'll never know how the argument ended. :disappointed:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
And that people know a remarkable
number of things about something that
doesn't even exist.

Since the actual topic is whether omnipotence is contradictory, then existence is irrelevant. Critics complain, "how can it exist if you can't even define it." So... here are attempts to define it, and the challenges to that definition have failed.

Just another atheist talking-point put in its place.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am universally right, therefore as a valid deduction you are universally wrong and not even a human in any sense.

The problem is in effect how does logic exist as process in the natural world?
It's one of the formalizations of reason, which is an evolved capacity of the human brain.

Indeed, other animals ─ chimps, dolphins and more ─ appear to be capable of reasoning. That points to its being a useful quality for surviving long enough to breed.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
This still reflects an ancient tribal scripture without provenance. There is absolutely no scientific evidence to support your assertions on life and evolution. Citing ancient scripture does not help when it comes to the objectively verified science of evolution over more than 3 billions years on earth and our universe over 13 billion years old
CMBR ( Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation dating ) is Not in conflict with Scripture.
The word ' day ' in Scripture has shades of meaning. For example: ALL of the creative days are summed up by the word ' day ' at Genesis 2:4

Evolution Not as far as our father Adam is concerned. Adam did Not evolve but was fashioned / formed by God using dust - Gen. 2:7; 3:19
The creation accounts are about getting Earth ready for mankind ( us ) to inhabit the Earth and starting with our father Adam and mother Eve.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
God is Not omnipotent because God can Not lie - Titus 1:2; Hebrews 6:18

The Christian version of God is not omnipotent, IF, those verses are interpretted literally.
And then while we're at it, the Christian version is not monotheistic either if Satan is literally the God of the earth.

So, the god concept changes depending on how literally a person interprets scripture.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The Christian version of God is not omnipotent, IF, those verses are interpretted literally.
And then while we're at it, the Christian version is not monotheistic either if Satan is literally the God of the earth.

So, the god concept changes depending on how literally a person interprets scripture.
*WINNER*
. . . . . . . and oh, what a mess!

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
CMBR ( Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation dating ) is Not in conflict with Scripture.
The CMBR has no relationship with Biblical scripture. It is the sciences of Physics and Cosmology that objectively determined a universe over 13.7 billion years old cannot be possible harmonized with ancient tribal scripture that pretty much Christian beliefs based on scripture believe a universe less than~10,000 years at best for the history of Christianity. It has only been since the 18-19th century that some began to interpret an ancient earth and universe scenario. Most Christians today do not entirely accept science in the USA, as in your view of the Adam and Eve mythology.

The word ' day ' in Scripture has shades of meaning. For example: ALL of the creative days are summed up by the word ' day ' at Genesis 2:4

Evolution Not as far as our father Adam is concerned. Adam did Not evolve but was fashioned / formed by God using dust - Gen. 2:7; 3:19
The creation accounts are about getting Earth ready for mankind ( us ) to inhabit the Earth and starting with our father Adam and mother Eve.
Selective citations with biggggggg stretch of interpretations cannot possible justify the Genesis scripture. Yes that is what the Genesis mythology describes concerning Adam and Eve. but like the Noah flood it is mythology and absolutely no evidence of such a flood either regionally or world wide.

If God exists, of course, God does not defy logic, but it is the human view God of the Bible and the Koran that is irrational and defies logic today.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Well if we can't depend on a literal interpretation of the Bible to get the correct concept of God, what can we depend on?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The only thing you need to know is that if God can defy logic, then logic is of no use. So much human thought, resulting in so much benefit to our species, can simply be thrown in the trash. If you think that God can make 1+1=3, then you dismiss mathematics altogether, and have no means of computation at all. If you think that God can square a circle, they you dismiss the laws of geometry, and can never again know anything about how to calculate the areas of triangles, rectangles, circles, ellipses or other geometric shapes.

If you think that God can make an object so heavy that even God Himself can't lift it -- then you have proven, thank goodness and finally, that such a god cannot possibly exist.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Well if we can't depend on a literal interpretation of the Bible to get the correct concept of God, what can we depend on?

I think that it comes from a variety of sources. Primary among them is going to be life experience. I think that the huge variance in God concepts indicates that no one source is going to be 100% correct. it's going to take multiple sources and multiple concepts combined. But it could be that God wants to be understood differently, in different ways by different people. So life experience, imo, is the most reliable.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think that it comes from a variety of sources. Primary among them is going to be life experience. I think that the huge variance in God concepts indicates that no one source is going to be 100% correct. it's going to take multiple sources and multiple concepts combined. But it could be that God wants to be understood differently, in different ways by different people. So life experience, imo, is the most reliable.

Ok, my life experience lead me to non-belief in God, not disbelief.
What I disbelieve is that any human knows anything about God despite many claims otherwise.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Ok, my life experience lead me to non-belief in God, not disbelief.
What I disbelieve is that any human knows anything about God despite many claims otherwise.

Without living another person's life, experiencing their experiences, how is your disbelief about another person's knowledge or understanding justified?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
A metaphorical interpretation.
Metaphorical-not having real existence but representing some truth about a situation or other subject?
People relating it to the truth of their personal experience which can be done with any God, religious text or even fictional world like Harry Potter.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Without living another person's life, experiencing their experiences, how is your disbelief about another person's knowledge or understanding justified?

That's a long story, but basically having been a member of many different beliefs, having believed in many different Gods, asking many people about the reality of their belief and mostly coming to understand how the human mind works.
I can tell you all about God. I can tell you all about several Gods having believed in many.
Why should your God have any greater reality than anyone of these Gods I believed in along with many, many other people.
I know how easy it is for a human being to convince themselves about the existence of any number of Gods.

Now why do you think your God has any greater existence than anyone of these other Gods any number of other individuals believe in?