• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can ID be taught in schools? What's ID's next move?

vibise

So we should talk about abiogenesis? There is another unproven wild speculative theory.

Really, there is enough science etc. out there to teach, none of this stuff needs to be brought into classrooms. Concentrate on the basics before confusing them with wild speculations. There is plenty of the basics to go around and fill up their days.

That people are trying to get this stuff into the classrooms - they are not trying to teach kids, they are trying to force their propaganda on them.
Who is insisting that abiogenesis be covered in intro bio? Seems to me the concern is giving proper attention to evolution, as the unifying principle of biology. Can't get more basic than that!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Evolution is one of the basics.
It is the foundation of modern biology. You can not understand ecology, morphology, history of life, genetics or development without a mention of evolution.

Abiogenesis is generally not covered in high school biology, certainly not to the detail it is in College/University.
It was a bit of an eye opener for me when I started University... how many of my fellow students didn't know or understand evolution. These are kids who want to be Biologists/Vets/Doctors and the first two semesters had to be spent teaching them the basics of Biology that they should have at least heard of in High School.

wa:do

gnomon

Evolution is one of the basics.
It is the foundation of modern biology. You can not understand ecology, morphology, history of life, genetics or development without a mention of evolution.

Abiogenesis is generally not covered in high school biology, certainly not to the detail it is in College/University.
It was a bit of an eye opener for me when I started University... how many of my fellow students didn't know or understand evolution. These are kids who want to be Biologists/Vets/Doctors and the first two semesters had to be spent teaching them the basics of Biology that they should have at least heard of in High School.

You would have loved the guy in my History of Science class that asked to be excused from the class when we covered the development of evolutionary theory. Fortunately, the professor in a very polite way told him no.

The way in which he "suffered" through and then claimed it wasn't so bad after all ..... I wanted to smack him. It's one thing to not want to accept the theory on grounds of faith but even worse to refuse to learn about the history behind it. Especially as a Science Education major.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I myself am strongly in favor of teaching ID in school. The world needs better Interior Design.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
You would have loved the guy in my History of Science class that asked to be excused from the class when we covered the development of evolutionary theory. Fortunately, the professor in a very polite way told him no.

The way in which he "suffered" through and then claimed it wasn't so bad after all ..... I wanted to smack him. It's one thing to not want to accept the theory on grounds of faith but even worse to refuse to learn about the history behind it. Especially as a Science Education major.
:slap:
:faint: *can't speak right now, must emote!*:help:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I would ask what is the next move of the atheists?
What are you talking about? What have atheists, as a group, ever advocated teaching in school?
Are they going to start teaching multiverse stuff? An unobservable, improvable, wild speculation - the only one they have to counteract the "fine tuning" problem?
ID has more answers for the kiddos than science has been able to provide.

Anthropic Principle & Fine Tuning - Multiverse and/or Intelligent Design?
Why would unproven speculation be taught in high school science class? That's just silly. You seem to have no idea what this controversy is about. It's not between atheists and Christians, it's between pro-science forces and anti-science forces. Which side are you on?

Last edited:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
So we should talk about abiogenesis? There is another unproven wild speculative theory.
idea, knock knock. Science hasn't solved how life originated, therefore it doesn't teach it.
Really, there is enough science etc. out there to teach, none of this stuff needs to be brought into classrooms. Concentrate on the basics before confusing them with wild speculations. There is plenty of the basics to go around and fill up their days.
Exactly. Concentrate on the basic, well-established scientific knowledge, such as the Theory of Evolution.

That people are trying to get this stuff into the classrooms - they are not trying to teach kids, they are trying to force their propaganda on them.
Yes, the Discovery Institute is trying to do exactly that.

Ciarin

Pass the mead!
yea I totally meant astrology, rofl. my bad. but you all got my meaning and the point still stands.

Ciarin

Pass the mead!

LOL wild?

Yea those scientists, what a bunch of wild and crazy guys. So much more wild than a guy living in whale, a human being made from dirt, and a talking snake.

Teaching real science in classrooms is no more propaganda than it is to teach geometry in a math class. I don't see you christians trying to get cubits taught as standard measurement.....

And btw, I think the christians have the market cornered on propaganda. Anybody remember those Chick tracts? How many other religions have it's own cable network?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
And Astrology isn't.
Come to think about it, I was taught about astrology when I was in high school. But of course I was taught the mythology, the symbolism, and even the fallacy of the “predictions” that it claimed to be able to make. I certainly was not taught that it was true, just the opposite. And I think those lessons were very valuable. I only wish I had learned more about it back then.

And I think that perhaps I.D could be taught in the same way. I think it could be useful to teach kids about beliefs that some people hold, the fallacy of the design assumption, and the danger of mistaking pseudo-science for the real thing.

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
fantôme profane;1407749 said:
Come to think about it, I was taught about astrology when I was in high school. But of course I was taught the mythology, the symbolism, and even the fallacy of the “predictions” that it claimed to be able to make. I certainly was not taught that it was true, just the opposite. And I think those lessons were very valuable. I only wish I had learned more about it back then.

And I think that perhaps I.D could be taught in the same way. I think it could be useful to teach kids about beliefs that some people hold, the fallacy of the design assumption, and the danger of mistaking pseudo-science for the real thing.

Agreed. There is a lot that could be learned/taught about the nature of science and how we do science by examining pseudo-sciences such as ID, figuring out their philosophical and logical errors, what makes for authentic science, etc. Well said fantôme profane!

Ciarin

Pass the mead!
fantôme profane;1407749 said:

Interesting. Which school taught you Astrology?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Were you were taught about astrology or astrology itself.
I take it your class wasn't using star charts to predict the future. :cool:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Interesting. Which school taught you Astrology?
I don’t mean that I had an actual astrology class or anything like that, but I can remember the subject coming up a few time in various classes. And I went to public school in Ontario Canada.