• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can science prove mathematics?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Actually, I think I understand, and it's correct, though rather esoteric. If you consider all real numbers, then there is the same "amount" of numbers between 1 and 20 as there is between 1 and 1 million: Aleph One. Though I agree that this isn't practical, since nothing divides infinitely.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
WLC is correct. Science as a methodology rests on certain ontological and epistemic foundations; the efficacy of mathematics to describe the universe being one of those.

Mathematical truths prove themselves just fine without science anyway as most of them are incorrigible.
Nothing sexier than an intelligent woman.....you go girl!

logician

Mathematics is often use to "prove" science, i.e theories, at least as much as they can be proven.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
No, but intelligent women aren't at the top of my sexiest list. That would go to smart and fetching.

Since someone was referring to me and you said "to each his own" the implication is that you don't think I'm fetching.

I'm hurt.

lol jk

Atomist

I love you.
Since someone was referring to me and you said "to each his own" the implication is that you don't think I'm fetching.

I'm hurt.
Awww, did the mean man hurt your feelings?

But seriously, out of curiosity, how do you react if/when guys hit on you and conversely how do you react if a guy doesn't find you attractive?

Note: I'm trying to generalize it to all lesbians that get hit using a sample size of one. (Experiments was never my strong suit)

Skwim

Veteran Member

I'm hurt.

lol jk
My remark wasn't in reference to you, but to ninerbuff's qualification for being sexy: an "intelligent woman," and that's it; so "to each his own." But I do find you fetching . . . wanna see my apartment ?
sleazy.gif
I just had indoor plumbing installed. Not any fixtures yet, but the pipes are all in, and if you're careful . . . well . . . well you'd be the first.
excited.gif

Last edited:

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire

I'm hurt.

lol jk

You're fetching, bedazzeling, spectacular, stupendeous, amazing, beguiling, astounding, flabberghasting, overwhelming, magnificent, charming, bewitching,...*gasp*...breathtaking, and just plain cute.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Awww, did the mean man hurt your feelings?

But seriously, out of curiosity, how do you react if/when guys hit on you and conversely how do you react if a guy doesn't find you attractive?

Note: I'm trying to generalize it to all lesbians that get hit using a sample size of one. (Experiments was never my strong suit)

I think it's flattering as long as they're not too persistent and it hurts my feelings a little if they don't find me attractive... which I'm assuming is what it's like for a lot of people.

I don't know if you're gay or not but assuming you're not, would you find it flattering if a gay man hit on you even if you weren't interested?

Atomist

I love you.
I think it's flattering as long as they're not too persistent and it hurts my feelings a little if they don't find me attractive... which I'm assuming is what it's like for a lot of people.

I don't know if you're gay or not but assuming you're not, would you find it flattering if a gay man hit on you even if you weren't interested?
Most of the time it's creepy... but only because guys don't really know how to hit on people in a non-creepy way? I feel like this thread is derailed....

uhhh... something on topic: There are certain things in math that can't be proven... but are assumed to be true... and math works... so it doesn't really matter if we can't "prove math to 100% certainty". As long as the assumptions fit reality like in mathematics.

I mean you can't "prove" this external world exist but... there is no reason to assume otherwise... so we just assume this external world exist.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Most of the time it's creepy... but only because guys don't really know how to hit on people in a non-creepy way? I feel like this thread is derailed....

uhhh... something on topic: There are certain things in math that can't be proven... but are assumed to be true... and math works... so it doesn't really matter if we can't "prove math to 100% certainty". As long as the assumptions fit reality like in mathematics.

I mean you can't "prove" this external world exist but... there is no reason to assume otherwise... so we just assume this external world exist.

Can't be proven or aren't proven?

Or are you talking about the fact that we can't have a complete and consistent paradigm a la Godël?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I like an ego with some meat on it's bones...none of those super thin unrealistic superegos for me. I mean its unnatural, I like an ego with some bootay! ;)

Due to my lack of sizeable gozangas my girlfriend openly and unabashedly declares that my booty is, indeed, my best assett. If anyone bothers to mention the pun besides just now I'll destroy them.

I say it doesn't compare to hers but hey, I'll take it.