• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the Pope send to hell to somebody?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Well, somebody has to look good in prada.

Let me know when you are serious about asking.

I am serious abotu asking, What is his purpose? if he cannot recieve any new revelation, and has no power to act in God's name, then of what use is he on this earth?

It seems to me that the Vatcian Council has more authority than him, they are the ones to generate new propoganda, he just waves, shakes peoples hands and rides around in a golf cart made of bullet proof glass.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I am serious abotu asking, What is his purpose? if he cannot recieve any new revelation, and has no power to act in God's name, then of what use is he on this earth?

It seems to me that the Vatcian Council has more authority than him, they are the ones to generate new propoganda, he just waves, shakes peoples hands and rides around in a golf cart made of bullet proof glass.
You think, perhaps, just maybe that this is a tad off topic?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
My question is whether you can debate without bringing in needless irrelevant cheap shots.

If you can't, I hope Victor declines.

i won't birng up any irrelevant information, i don't knwo what you mean by cheap shots? if you mean pointing out the truth? then yes, i'll point out the truth till my heart is content.

athanasius

Sure doesn't seem like it.

Just be clear, the Pope has no authority to send anybody to Hell nor to Heaven. I'll leave it at that.

Amen! Victor is correct! Good reply Vic, but I think our anti-Catholic friend female11 Isn't really interested in productive dialogs or the real Catholic position. Rather she is just into Catholic bashing and hate. And to that I will then then let he wallow in her own anger and hate.

female11

Freedom of expression
Since "hell" is not even well supported biblically, I doubt the pope will be seding anyone to a fictitious place.
I agree, you have all right.
I wished to know, if the other religions nonChristian, have a threat like hell.
I would wish to know, when the hell appeared in the religion for the first time, because, the hell is not supported by the bibel. And the first religión before the christian, the Jewish religion, does not have hell. I would wish to know the reason of the appearance of hell in the religion. I think that it is a contradiction that a religion that affirms that God love so much to the humanity (as Christus sacrifice for all the humanity) can make a so horrible place of punishment for the humans like the hell.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Throughout history, the Pope has been able excommunicate to they that did not accept his will. There is much people who are atheistic or they does not believe in him. We must be scared of his power?:confused:
The Bible states that only the belief or the non-belief in Christ is the sole determining factor for salvation. John 3:18

Booko

Deviled Hen
i won't birng up any irrelevant information, i don't knwo what you mean by cheap shots? if you mean pointing out the truth? then yes, i'll point out the truth till my heart is content.

This has several cheap shots in just one sentence:

If you don't understand what's cheap about them, there are a few coreligionists who could reword what you said in terms of your religion so maybe you'd get it. Ask them PM though. It's better not to hang that stuff out in public, imnsho.

I'm sure Becky or Katz could help you out, if you want.

Scott1

I think that it is a contradiction that a religion that affirms that God love so much to the humanity (as Christus sacrifice for all the humanity) can make a so horrible place of punishment for the humans like the hell.
Hell is just the absense of God/love..... I don't really buy into the lake of fire and suffering crap.... think that was just to scare people and has no place in our modern theology.

Thanks for asking,
S

female11

Freedom of expression
The Bible states that only the belief or the non-belief in Christ is the sole determining factor for salvation. John 3:18
You mean that Christ did not wish the salvation of the millions of people who never have had the opportunity to listen to him?? (John 3:18):confused:

Booko

Deviled Hen
I wished to know, if the other religions nonChristian, have a threat like hell.

I would wish to know, when the hell appeared in the religion for the first time, because, the hell is not supported by the bibel. And the first religión before the christian, the Jewish religion, does not have hell. I would wish to know the reason of the appearance of hell in the religion.

In that case, I would suggest you investigate Zoroastrianism.

The Jews were in exile among the Zoroastrians and seem to have picked up a few ideas that ended up in Christianity, though they are not so strongly reflected in Jewish traditions found in the Bible.

Ideas about hell and eternal damnation are all ideas found in Zoroastrianism, which is a religion more seen by its influence on neighboring religions than in any direct way.

The depiction of Satan as almost an anti-God also is remarkably similar to Zoroastrian dualism. [Ahura Mazda (God) vs. Ahriman (Satan).]

Some scholars believe that these ideas did not originate with Zoroastrianism, but may have roots in older Vedic religions. I've not run across anything much in that area myself, so I can't comment on that aspect.