• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the Pope send to hell to somebody?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
This has several cheap shots in just one sentence:

If you don't understand what's cheap about them, there are a few coreligionists who could reword what you said in terms of your religion so maybe you'd get it. Ask them PM though. It's better not to hang that stuff out in public, imnsho.

I'm sure Becky or Katz could help you out, if you want.

Reword how?

logician

Hell is just the absense of God/love..... I don't really buy into the lake of fire and suffering crap.... think that was just to scare people and has no place in our modern theology.

Thanks for asking,
S

Then, if god does not exist, are we all currently in hell?

Scott1

Then, if god does not exist, are we all currently in hell?
Wow... that's deep.... my wife thinks so.... it's hard to look at the suffering and evil in this world and not come to the conclusion we are in hell or that if there is a God, he/she is one sadistic jerk.

We who have come to know God on a personal level have a different perspective, but I pray that everyone can avoid whatever "hell" they are in.

Thanks for the cool question.
S

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Wow... that's deep.... my wife thinks so.... it's hard to look at the suffering and evil in this world and not come to the conclusion we are in hell or that if there is a God, he/she is one sadistic jerk.

We who have come to know God on a personal level have a different perspective, but I pray that everyone can avoid whatever "hell" they are in.

Thanks for the cool question.
S

I don't believe so, we are ntop cut off from the presence of our heavenly father on the earth, we only cut ourselves off by not listening. Our heavenly father helps us in our daily lives, and if we were in hell i'm sure he wouldn't even tell us to pray anymore.

athanasius

I don't believe so, we are ntop cut off from the presence of our heavenly father on the earth, we only cut ourselves off by not listening. Our heavenly father helps us in our daily lives, and if we were in hell i'm sure he wouldn't even tell us to pray anymore.

Romans 11:22 makes a interesting statement that if we continue in the sinfulness of unbelief then God will cut us off.

"For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you.
[22] Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God's kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness; otherwise you too will be cut off." I am not saying that we are in hell currently. This life is more like purgatory. But we can be cut off from grace and end up in hell.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Ummmm... not sure why you quoted me and not the person who asked the question originally.... just to make sure you are not confused: I DON'T believe we are in hell.

o-kay?S

i wasn't arguing, jsut commenting . I dont always argue :sorry1:

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Romans 11:22 makes a interesting statement that if we continue in the sinfulness of unbelief then God will cut us off.

"For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you.
[22] Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God's kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness; otherwise you too will be cut off." I am not saying that we are in hell currently. This life is more like purgatory. But we can be cut off from grace and end up in hell.

exactly but Sin is our choice, in essence we cut ourselves off from the presence of our Lord.

He promises to be with us always if we do the things he wants us to do.

logician

"He promises to be with us always if we do the things he wants us to do."

Then a supposed god does not even have the qualities of a good parent, who sticks with you thru the good and bad.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
"He promises to be with us always if we do the things he wants us to do."

Then a supposed god does not even have the qualities of a good parent, who sticks with you thru the good and bad.

He does stick with us through good and bad, We alienate ourselves from him, not the other way around.

don't take what i say out of context

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
You mean that Christ did not wish the salvation of the millions of people who never have had the opportunity to listen to him?? (John 3:18):confused:
It's not "listen" it's "believe." Romans 1 sates that all things created know their creator and the power of the godhead. It's up to everyone to accept or reject God.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The Bible states that only the belief or the non-belief in Christ is the sole determining factor for salvation. John 3:18
It also states that keeping Jesus' commandments and giving away all your posessions are the sole determining factors for salvation. Matthew 19:16-21.

Ain't proof-texting fun? ;)

logician

No religion has a corner on morality or supposed "salvation". one should be very suspicious of religions that say they do.