• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the Soul be destroyed?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Good question. The best debate would probably lie in wondering if it would be worse for a soul to be punished or destroyed. I don't plan on finding out what either is like. :no:

dogsgod

Souls cannot be destroyed, this will become evidently clear when you are burning for all of eternity in the lake of fire that is Hell.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
I would like to think that soul is not a thing but the essence of what is. If we talk about an individual's soul, it simply means the essence of the individual. While the essence of everyone and everything may be the same and it may be life, yet the essence also takes into account the unique life each individual has lived and therefore the soul that "leaves" each individual when that individual dies would tend to be different. It is the difference that accounts for rebirth of souls under unique circumstances. It is only when the individual soul exhausts its individuality that the soul achieves moksha or merges with the undifferentiated essence of totality. The uniqueness of individual souls occurs because in a given birth it might still have not discovered itself and would require more lives to discover itself. Incidentally, the Bhagwad Gita very eloquently says that the soul is indestructible.

logician

So far, I have not heard a definition of a soul that I would actually want to be true. I think I'll take the soulless route.

.lava

Veteran Member
Nothing else is either - hence, concepts are all we have.

people do worship concepts and call it "God" or not. true that concepts are all "we" have because we are sending each other balloons of thoughts using same titles as if we put the same meaning in them. how could we make concept out of "unknown"? unlike any concept or word, it is vast. people draw the line when they think they "got" it and there you have a concept to defeat

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
people do worship concepts and call it "God" or not. true that concepts are all "we" have because we are sending each other balloons of thoughts using same titles as if we put the same meaning in them. how could we make concept out of "unknown"? unlike any concept or word, it is vast. people draw the line when they think they "got" it and there you have a concept to defeat

Right - anyone who think they've "got" the right concept of god is wrong. That's all I'm saying.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Of course the soul can be destroyed! You would know that if you'd ever been forced to sit through a speech by Newt Gingrich.

.lava

Veteran Member
Right - anyone who think they've "got" the right concept of god is wrong. That's all I'm saying.

good to know. you know i like maths. i love integral and solving mind blowing problems. i have little knowledge of it but i still can't say i've got it. though i can't say i don't know it at all either. i am just not satisfied with what i know and that's what i am saying

Zadok

Zadok

Not true - I have read some of your posts and that is not "all" you are saying.

Also I find your logic – well, illogical. The conclusion I can draw from your comment is that what you say is wrong. If you think you are right about G-d then by your own statement you are wrong – if you think you are wrong – then you; regardless of what you do with that thought – you will be wrong by your own admission. Bottom line – you are wrong.

Zadok

Zadok

Zadok
The ancient concept for a damned soul was that they become a "son of perdition". Perdition means complete ruin. But this is not the end of the soul only the end of any beneficial use of it. So in some sense the soul is destroyed but in the sense that an individual is no longer aware – I think that is a very bad and a most foolish bet.

Zadok