• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cardinal Pell and Evolution

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How impressive, right?

... that even without the originals, it is the most published and widespread book in all of human history. :cool:
So what? Some religion has to be the most popular. By your logic Christianity must have been wrong when it first started out. There were countless religions with more followers.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
How impressive, right?

... that even without the originals, it is the most published and widespread book in all of human history. :cool:
Arguing from popularity. The Bible is one of the least documented of the major books in history without provenance or outside independent evidence for its supernatural claims. It rivals other ancient texts like the Iliad and the Odyssey in mythology.

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
Only unites those with the same shoes that comfortably fit.

Yes, you can't be a Christian if you are an atheist or Hindu. And even among Christians there will be things that we disagree on and which seem so big that some people decide to split away.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yes, you can't be a Christian if you are an atheist or Hindu. And even among Christians there will be things that we disagree on and which seem so big that some people decide to split away.
True, I believe people shop around for the shoes that fit, and sincere search finds shoes that do not fit. It is a given that everyone who belongs to a given church believes in the that church major doctrines of the church.

Earlier in the thread, I advocated a Universalism philosophy. To paraphrase sort of a premise, 'What you seek is not the shoes that fit,' By far most people do not wander off from their religious and cultural roots, and at best they may or may not seek alternates within their cultural paradigm, most stay close to home.

Based on this philosophical perspective I could not accept either the literal view of Genesis or the allegorical view which is an attempt to make ancient religious beliefs acceptable to modern knowledge of science and history.

One of the goals is to eliminate what one 'can or cannot do' concerning subjective choices based on faith, because the limits of the fallible human to make such decisions consistently has a bd track record. Guess what?!?!? One's potential free will increases without being bound culturally and traditionally to one belief or another.

Yes, there may be a problem with being a Christian, Hindu, or Atheist and pleasing to others and being accepted as Christian and Atheist, but the Hindus may approve.

Does seeking the comfort of belonging to all wearing the same shoes achieve anything?

More to follow . . .

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
True, I believe people shop around for the shoes that fit, and sincere search finds shoes that do not fit. It is a given that everyone who belongs to a given church believes in the that church major doctrines of the church.

Earlier in the thread, I advocated a Universalism philosophy. To paraphrase sort of a premise, 'What you seek is not the shoes that fit,' By far most people do not wander off from their religious and cultural roots, and at best they may or may not seek alternates within their cultural paradigm, most stay close to home.

Based on this philosophical perspective I could not accept either the literal view of Genesis or the allegorical view which is an attempt to make ancient religious beliefs acceptable to modern knowledge of science and history.

One of the goals is to eliminate what one 'can or cannot do' concerning subjective choices based on faith, because the limits of the fallible human to make such decisions consistently has a bd track record. Guess what?!?!? One's potential free will increases without being bound culturally and traditionally to one belief or another.

Yes, one cannot be a Christian, Hindu, Atheist, or Hindu and please the Christians, Atheist or Hindus. but is this necessary?

More to follow . . .

It is necessary if someone finds the truth in any one religion.

Brian2

Veteran Member
What determines which is the 'Truth' of fallible human decisions in any one religion among many when most claim to know the 'Truth' and reject all others?

The important truth is what God is like. God is love, God forgives those who forgive others etc. All people can be judged on that standard even if they disagree about the details of history. imo this seems to be what the Bible tells us. (eg Matt 25:31-46)

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The important truth is what God is like. God is love, God forgives those who forgive others etc. All people can be judged on that standard even if they disagree about the details of history. imo this seems to be what the Bible tells us. (eg Matt 25:31-46)
God is more than Love in the Bible and the world scriptures. God is justice, Compassion, and infinite attributes in all religions.
Judaism, the many divisions of Christianity, Islam, Baha;i Faith, and Hinduism consider love an intimate attribute of God. This does not determine which is 'True.'

I am alike for all! I know not hate, I know not favour! What is made is Mine! But them that worship Me with love, I love; They are in Me, and I in them! – Hinduism

I have loved you with an everlasting love. – Jeremiah, 31:3.

The Lord is gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger, and of great mercy. The Lord is good to all and His tender mercies are over all His works. – Judaism

O Son of Man! Veiled in My immemorial being and in the ancient eternity of My essence, I knew My love for thee; therefore I created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee My beauty. – Baha’u’llah, The Hidden Words, p. 4.
In the Baha’i teachings, I learned that God’s love for His creation is not conditional on religion, race, gender, or any other criteria. We don’t need to reach a spiritual degree of enlightenment or any other qualification to be loved by our Creator. If we shut ourselves out for fear of being unworthy, we will be unaware of His abiding love all around us at all times:
I am alike for all! I know not hate, I know not favour! What is made is Mine! But them that worship Me with love, I love; They are in Me, and I in them! – Hinduism

The Lord is gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger, and of great mercy. The Lord is good to all and His tender mercies are over all His works. – Judaism

O Son of Man! Veiled in My immemorial being and in the ancient eternity of My essence, I knew My love for thee; therefore I created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee My beauty. – Baha’u’llah, The Hidden Words, p. 4.
In the Baha’i teachings, I learned that God’s love for His creation is not conditional on religion, race, gender, or any other criteria. We don’t need to reach a spiritual degree of enlightenment or any other qualification to be loved by our Creator. If we shut ourselves out for fear of being unworthy, we will be unaware of His abiding love all around us at all times:

O moving form of dust! I desire communion with thee, but thou wouldst put no trust in Me… At all times I am near unto thee, but thou art ever far from Me. – Baha’u’llah, The Hidden Words, p. 29.
My love is in thee, know it, that thou mayest find me near unto thee. – Ibid., p. 6.
My wise friend, a deeply spiritual woman named Ramona Brown in her 80’s, shared with me this insight. As I experienced many tests at the turbulent age of 16 and talked with her about it, she said my pain was actually a good thing. Having met with Abdu’l-Baha, she had many wonderful encounters and insights to share. She told me, “This means God really has His eyes on you now!” Ramona said that the hardships in our lives are signs of God’s love, because they pull us closer to Him. Without God’s love for us in the form of trials we could never grow and reach our potential, so they are in fact the greatest sign of His love and mercy.When I was younger I thought that if I was a “good girl” that God would love me and good things would come my way. This was somewhat true, but it meant that when bad things happened to me, I wasn’t worthy of God’s love. It took a conversation with a dear friend to see that God does show His love for us with all His wonderful blessings in our lives, but that He also shows His love when bad things happen.

The more difficulties one sees in the world the more perfect one becomes. The more you plough and dig the ground the more fertile it becomes. The more you cut the branches of a tree the higher and stronger it grows. The more you put the gold in the fire the purer it becomes. The more you sharpen the steel by grinding the better it cuts. Therefore, the more sorrows one sees the more perfect one becomes… Therefore I am happy that you have had great tribulations and difficulties…. Strange it is that I love you and still I am happy that you have sorrows. Abdu’l-Baha, Star of the West, Volume 8, p. 41.
God loves us, all of us, no matter who we are. He knows we are imperfect and will make mistakes, but He never stops loving us for even a moment. When we allow ourselves to feel this love it empowers us. We feel good about ourselves, and we can do anything. I think that the world would move miles closer to heaven if we could remember this simple reality: God loves you unconditionally. You are love..

Brian2

Veteran Member
God is more than Love in the Bible and the world scriptures. God is justice, Compassion, and infinite attributes in all religions.
Judaism, the many divisions of Christianity, Islam, Baha;i Faith, and Hinduism consider love an intimate attribute of God. This does not determine which is 'True.'

My wise friend, a deeply spiritual woman named Ramona Brown in her 80’s, shared with me this insight. As I experienced many tests at the turbulent age of 16 and talked with her about it, she said my pain was actually a good thing. Having met with Abdu’l-Baha, she had many wonderful encounters and insights to share. She told me, “This means God really has His eyes on you now!” Ramona said that the hardships in our lives are signs of God’s love, because they pull us closer to Him. Without God’s love for us in the form of trials we could never grow and reach our potential, so they are in fact the greatest sign of His love and mercy.When I was younger I thought that if I was a “good girl” that God would love me and good things would come my way. This was somewhat true, but it meant that when bad things happened to me, I wasn’t worthy of God’s love. It took a conversation with a dear friend to see that God does show His love for us with all His wonderful blessings in our lives, but that He also shows His love when bad things happen.

God loves us, all of us, no matter who we are. He knows we are imperfect and will make mistakes, but He never stops loving us for even a moment. When we allow ourselves to feel this love it empowers us. We feel good about ourselves, and we can do anything. I think that the world would move miles closer to heaven if we could remember this simple reality: God loves you unconditionally. You are love..

Most of that mirrors stuff in the Bible and I would agree, but imo there are also parts that are wrong and disagree with the truth in the Bible.
imo people can agree with the truth in a religion and believe the religion and the parts that are wrong are not seen. This leads people away from the truth and down another path, a path where certainly the truth of the gospel is not found and is even denied.

Objectively verifiable evidence of Noah's flood.
If there was Noah's flood, we should find:
1. Vast sediment formations
2. Orogenic mountains
3. Oil, gas and coal fields
4. Marine fossils on high mountain areas.
5. modern continents and signs of breaking of original single continent.

Those are objectively verifiable evidence for the flood. If you can't see them, then it probably didn't happen.

Last edited:

Evidence I've seen?

Fossil fragments of long extihct sea creatures
coming up from 1000 meters below a Kansas
wheat field in cuttings from an oil well drill.

How would you explain that?
Nice, fossils are evidence for that at some point there was such a living thing that for some reason died and was fossilized. Fossil is not evidence for anything more. To explain why it is there and why it died and was fossilized, we would require more information/observations.

I believe it is there because of what happened during the great flood.