• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CEO salary compared to workers

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
The way the infographics are presented makes me want to stick a pin in the ballooning CEO's head. :p

Peace,
Mystic

The Seeker

Once upon a time....
CEO pay is absolutely ridiculous. What really ****** me off is when CEOs under-perform, get fired and still walk away with a multi-million dollar severance package.

Booko

Deviled Hen
They also pay a far lower percentage in taxes than people well below them economically.

I'm wondering what justice there is in a tax system where the person who mops the floors pays a higher percentage than a guy worth a billion dollars. Isn't a billion dollars enough to buy anything your heart desires?

Here's a commentary on a related subject:
Is there something Henry Kravis wants but can't afford to buy? Seems unlikely: according to Forbes, he's worth $2.6 billion. So is he addled by greed or what? Kravis, Stephen Schwarzman and other princes of private equity (the financial deal of the moment) have been visiting Congress and wielding their checkbooks in an effort to save a tax-code provision that allows them to pay an income tax of 15% rather than the normal top rate of 35%. Have they lost their minds?

Full article:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1645146,00.html

Yerda

Veteran Member
Does anyone know much about the implications of pegging CEO salaries to the lowest paid workers of the company?

I've read one or two brief articles but I don't have any idea of how practical or beneficial it would be.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Does anyone know much about the implications of pegging CEO salaries to the lowest paid workers of the company?
Well, once you give the government the right to limit one man's wage, you've opened the door for the 'Man' to dictate everyone else's salary as well. Without any doubt, that is one of the most dangerous and stupid ideas ever conceived.:149:

Yerda

Veteran Member
Well, once you give the government the right to limit one man's wage, you've opened the door for the 'Man' to dictate everyone else's salary as well. Without any doubt, that is one of the most dangerous and stupid ideas ever conceived.:149:
Perhaps. As I said, I'm not 'clued-up'. However, as far as I know, it is not a cap on wages, but a link between them in the interests of equality (and, of course, social and economic justice).

Booko

Deviled Hen

I've read one or two brief articles but I don't have any idea of how practical or beneficial it would be.

I though Japan had such limits already. If so, it hasn't hurt them any.

rojse

RF Addict
In Australia, the top tax bracket (above eighty thousand) pays forty-nine cents in tax for every dollar they earn above eighty thousand dollars. I have no sympathy for them paying thirty-five cents.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again

I agree. The Man and his capitalist puppets [or is it now the other way around?] should be abolished henceforth on the day after a revolution. Then the workers of the world are free to reign over the fruits of their own labor. A price cap still allows the giants to play with us like we're toys; it just limits their influence.

If the workers decided their own wages as a single unit, there would be no triple-digit differences, I assure you.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Top pay for top dogs in a dog eat dog world. No need to be alarmist about CEO salaries. Better off getting heated up about wealth distribution in society overall.

Well that's the point, Ozzie. CEO salaries are an indicator of problems in wealth distribution.

I'm not saying we should all go out and redistribute the wealth here, but when our laws are set up to ensure the rich get richer (whether they actually "produce" anything or not) and the middle class becomes poor, and the poor often die because no matter how hard they work they often can't get healthcare, there is something very off in our society that needs to be looked at.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Wealth redistribution is still abused by the rich, anyway. It's more involvement from the federal government when there is a better and more natural solution available: workplace democracy.

CEOs [and capitalism in general] are a result of the State. Without the federal or state government's involvement the position of CEO wouldn't even exist. How could a single person, or a group of people, oversee a corporation that extends thousands of miles without some legal recognition from the State? They couldn't. Shops, factories, and warehouses would be run on a local level.

Adam Smith said if people become rich it's neither beneficial to society nor an example of a free market. He wasn't talking about the free market as our leaders like to call it [limited taxes, no involvement in wage matters, letting businesses do what they want]. In fact, he was one of the first proponents of progressive taxation.

Ever learning

IMO CEO´s should get according to their performance. It´s a shame to see how a lot of them fail and still walk off with prize money.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Who exactly is "the Man"?

The dude at the top. The man who signs the checks, or has someone sign them for him.

I can tell you what the problem is. You all are programed to work for someone else. Why do you have to work for someone? So you can let some one else enjoy the fruit of your labor?

Many people fresh out of college realize that what they learned in school was not the skills that got them ahead in their career. Experience in the corporate world is what commands the big money, not the education. The education only proves that you had some sort of intelligence and ability to learn and see something through.

It is laughable that someone would spend time and money to impress someone else into giving them a chance to make lots of money for them while you are demeaned and fed table scraps.

Even doctors don't really make the big bucks until they start their own practice or corporation.

Don't get me wrong, education is a good thing so long as you leave with something you can use and apply to make money.

Working for someone else makes you tired old and grumpy. Entrepreneurs find satisfaction in working long hours and achieving life goals. The smart ones make their money and get out before the demanding life style takes a toll on their health.