• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Challenge to Evolutionsts

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
or, if you're going to argue science, you might want to know some first. :cool:
Also if you ask to "see the research" you'll want to be able to actually read it.

anyway, in layman's terms...
FOXP2 is the gene responsible for coordinating sound production and movements of the mouth. Experiments done with mice show that knocking out FOXP2 stops them from being able to communicate with ultrasonic sounds. (thus making them effectively mute)
Humans have a particular mutation of FOXP2 that allows us to form complex words. Humans with a misprint of the FOXP2 gene can't speak properly if at all.
Bats have a mutation of FOXP2 as well, though their mutation is on a different part of the gene. Knowing how FOXP2 works it makes it clear that this mutation is key in the bats eccolocation.

Whales and dolphins also have another mutation of FOXP2 that gives them sonar.

What this means is that a simple mutation of the FOXP2 gene is key to the development of eccolocation in bats. Further studies found that tracing the mutation showed how different bats were related to one another, and this relationship was much more complex than simply grouping them by 'kind'. ie, big bats and little bats (fruit bats and insect eating bats)

This a very quick and dirty run down of the basic reserch done. I'm sorry I don't have much time to give you a longer explanation... its exam time so I have a lot of studying to do.

wa:do

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Boring but important.
If you argue there isn't any evidence of evolution simply because the evidence is "boring", you don't have much a foundation for an argument.
I find the Bible very boring, I read it anyway. I find Chemistry math tedious but I have to do it to understand how it works.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Humans have a particular mutation of FOXP2 that allows us to form complex words. ....Bats have a mutation of FOXP2 as well...
Whales and dolphins also have another mutation of FOXP2 that gives them sonar.
Is there any other proof that these are mutaions other than the fact that they are so similar or is it assumed they are mutations because they are so similar?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
FOXP2 is found from at least fish up through us. It is a shared gene.
The mutations can be traced backward through the tree of life.

Are the genes that you have similer to your parents (and your great, great, great grandparents) by inheritance or coincidence?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
FOXP2 is found from at least fish up through us. It is a shared gene.
The mutations can be traced backward through the tree of life.

Are the genes that you have similer to your parents (and your great, great, great grandparents) by inheritance or coincidence?

As I though, it is assumed to be so with out definitive proof.

meogi

sandy whitelinger said:
As I though, it is assumed to be so with out definitive proof.
What other mechanism do you suppose is changing the gene? Why is the gene only slightly different in multiple species? Mutation fits, does this other mechanism? Can this other mechanism be demonstrated at all?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
we can also back count the mutations as they happened. :rolleyes:

Two FOXP3 mutations seperate us from Chimpanzees, four from Mice and so on.

Mitochondrial DNA can also clock this mutational rate of change.

Again, learning some basics about science and the scientific method is useful when you want to argue science. Simply dismissing it isn't a viable debate method.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
we can also back count the mutations as they happened. :rolleyes:

Two FOXP3 mutations seperate us from Chimpanzees, four from Mice and so on.

Mitochondrial DNA can also clock this mutational rate of change.

Again, learning some basics about science and the scientific method is useful when you want to argue science. Simply dismissing it isn't a viable debate method.

I haven't dismissed it, only pointed out an assumption that lead to a conclusion.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
no evidence lead to the conclusion.
Acctually it was an assumption that lead to the conclusion. the assumptionwas that the gene mutated where there is no evidence of a mutation occurring only there being two different genes. The conclusion based on the assumption is found in the title of the article offered, "Accelerated FoxP2 Evolution in Echolocating Bats."

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Its the SAME gene. FOXP2.

To assess whether mutations in the FoxP2 gene could be associated with echolocation in bats, we sequenced FoxP2 from echolocating and non-echolocating bat species, as well as a range of other mammals. We isolated mRNA and used reverse transcriptase-mediated polymerase chain reaction (RT–PCR) to amplify the complete gene in bats from six families, as well as representatives from five other mammalian orders and one reptile. Alignments of new sequences with published FoxP2 sequences from mouse, primates and birds, and those obtained from archived genomic bacterial artificial chromosome (BAC) libraries, revealed high amino acid conservation across most vertebrates [3]–[5] but two highly variable exons in bats. We tested for and found evidence of divergent selection between the two main clades of bats, which have contrasting sonar signals. We also identified two FoxP2 exons that showed particularly high levels of variability and therefore surveyed these exons in a much wider range of bat species, as well as 18 cetacean species comprising 15 echolocating toothed whales and dolphins (suborder Odontoceti) and three non-echolocating baleen whales (suborder Mysticeti). This extensive survey confirmed that non-synonymous variation among bats exceeds levels recorded across all other vertebrates, but did not suggest that equivalent accelerated evolution was also a feature of echolocating cetaceans.

We sequenced the complete FoxP2 gene in 13 bat species, 7 other eutherian mammal species and 1 reptile. After combining with archived sequences, including those obtained from genomic BAC libraries, our analyses of complete FoxP2 gene sequences were based on 13 bats, 22 additional (non-bat) eutherian mammals, 1 non-eutherian mammal (platypus), two birds and one reptile (see table S1).

I'm not going to post the whole artical, but the only assumptions are yours.
Assumptions based on ignorance of science and the scientific method, based on an unwillingness to look at the evidence.

Mystical trans-dimentional space windows are beliveable but testable verifyable genetic information isn't?

If you are going to agrue science supports this or doesn't support that, then please for sake of us all learn some science.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Its the SAME gene. FOXP2.

I'm not going to post the whole artical, but the only assumptions are yours.
Assumptions based on ignorance of science and the scientific method, based on an unwillingness to look at the evidence.

Mystical trans-dimentional space windows are beliveable but testable verifyable genetic information isn't?

If you are going to agrue science supports this or doesn't support that, then please for sake of us all learn some science.

Yet from the same article, "Observations that FOXP2 orthologues show almost no variation across distantly related species of reptile, bird and mammal ...has led to speculation that recent evolutionary changes in FOXP2 might be related to the emergence of language.

Now where is the proof, without assumption, of the evolutionary change. Now, for the sake of us all, please learn to read.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
nice cherry pick, now read the whole thing.
Observations that FOXP2 orthologues show almost no variation across distantly related species of reptile, bird and mammal [3]–[5], while the gene differs by two adaptive amino acid changes between humans and chimpanzees [3], [5], has led to speculation that recent evolutionary changes in FOXP2 might be related to the emergence of language [3], [5], [6]. More recently, the lack of isolation calls produced by FoxP2 knockout mice [7], and concordant patterns of expression in the brains of humans, mice [8] and songbirds 9], support a wider function in sensorimotor integration and motor learning [10], [11].

its easy to cherry pick things to make them sound how you want, but the introduction simply sets up the experiment that provides the evidence to support the hypothosis.
If you knew anything about science and how scientific papers worked you would know this.

The introduction sets up the question to be addressed by the experament. Nothing more.

Try reading the rest of the article rather than simply looking for things you can twist around with creative editing.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
nice cherry pick, now read the whole thing.

its easy to cherry pick things to make them sound how you want, but the introduction simply sets up the experiment that provides the evidence to support the hypothosis.
If you knew anything about science and how scientific papers worked you would know this.

The introduction sets up the question to be addressed by the experament. Nothing more.

Try reading the rest of the article rather than simply looking for things you can twist around with creative editing.

Ok, now save me the agony of cherry picking this dry report, What is the hypothesis? Oh by the way throw in a more few slurs about my intellect as well. I'm still not belittled enough to find that humility I so justly deserve today.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
That mutations of FOXP2 are responcible for eccolocation in bats.

Post 113 covers some of the evidence to support the hypothosis listed in the paper.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Ok, now save me the agony of cherry picking this dry report, What is the hypothesis? Oh by the way throw in a more few slurs about my intellect as well. I'm still not belittled enough to find that humility I so justly deserve today.

The simple solution to that is not to debate things you aren't interested in enough to bother to take the time to understand first. :shrug:

meogi

sandy whitelinger said:
I haven't dismissed it, only pointed out an assumption that lead to a conclusion.
What other assumption should we use? That the genes were just 'created' differently? Why are they so similar between species then?

If you're going to accept the idea that a supernatural entity is tweaking with DNA, then fine, believe that. But please don't suggest that mutation doesn't work also, especially when it has mounds of evidence supporting it. Unless of course the mutations are being tweaked in real time by the entity... purposfully done to mislead the scientific community!

Hell, with creationists being labeled as conspiracy theorists, I think I'll start my own evolutionist conspiracy theory against the supernatural entity! It's out to trick us guys, watch out! :)