• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changing the Bible

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are you speaking about pain or suffering? Pain is physical, suffering is mental.
I think people suffer physically and mentally. Each is biological.
I suppose spiritual suffering can go on after death. I still think suffering is feeling and feeling is what physical bodies do.

buddhist

I think people suffer physically and mentally. Each is biological.
I suppose spiritual suffering can go on after death. I still think suffering is feeling and feeling is what physical bodies do.
I think we can observe pain in the body without being attached to it; when I do so, it releases me from (mental) suffering, by standing as a passive observer of the pain.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think we can observe pain in the body without being attached to it; when I do so, it releases me from (mental) suffering, by standing as a passive observer of the pain.
I have heard of that. Did it take a lot of practice?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No rewrite is needed. The problems with the Bible are temporary and are mostly caused by ignorance of History and by the ministerial elite. The Bible holds ancient stories which once held violence as a virtue but which were altered to have peace as their moral before being placed in the Bible: Noahs Ark, Tower of Babel, Exodus from Egypt all are in this category. The originals all have to do with central civilizations or cities that thrive upon plunder, but in the Bible equivalents those cities and civilizations are noted to be evil and peace is held up as the moral attribute. There is another story you may have heard of called the story of Abraham. It begins with a man named Abram who lives in a violent city called Ur. Abram leaves behind his violence city, Ur. He goes off to live in tents as a shepherd and though he has allies, he isn't a plunderer or enslaver or thief. He doesn't conquer anything or try to war against anyone. This is the theme of Abraham's story.

We now know that Noah is a re-write of part of Gilgamesh. Gilgamesh is a story that held violence as a virtue, and violence was its moral. Noah is the opposite, its moral to live peacefully with others. Gilgamesh was the product of a civilization which, like Egypt, believed in might and the virtue of war.

Look at the story of the Exodus. For thousands of years Egypt was a land which thrived on invasion, pillaging and kidnapping. This was moral and right to Egyptians. The people worshipped its Pharoah believing him to be a god, and to them the more warlike he was the better. Egypt and its Pharoah appear in the Bible as a place and a king plagued with ten plagues, then humbled and broken. The Israelites leave the violent ways of Egypt behind them. The 'Plagues' are stylistic representations of actual natural phenomena that occurr (or used to occur) yearly in Egypt. In the Bible the Nile is turned to blood by Moses followed by a plague of frogs. In nature the Nile yearly turned red at the beginning of flood season and then became green and then clear again.

The Tower of Babel is not merely a story built on nothing but alludes to an actual tower built by an actual emperor of an actual civilization whose capital is called Babylon. In the Bible story, the problem with this emperor's tower is the city that surrounds it. The people are too centralized! They are supposed to disburse, but instead they want to thrive upon the work of others, safe behind walls and making themselves like gods (over other people. This is the implication.) They want to thrive upon the labor of others, like leeches, plunderers and enslavers. Babylon is the city of the conquering god Melech, the faith that might-makes-right, the crown of the civilization which inspires the Gilgamesh epic. In the Bible the tower is left in ruin, because the languages are supernaturally scrambled. The frustrated people then scatter from Babylon and become pioneers. The languages are scrambled to prevent these people from being able to do whatever they want, and what they want is to be gods treating all other people as tools. Hence the theme of the Tower of Babel is another case of a partly true story about real people who thought of violence as a virtue, and that story is re-done to uphold the virtue of peace.

This is what the Bible does. No it doesn't need a rewrite. All that is needed is for schools to offer a reasonable amount of History to students, so they can have some perspective and recognize what they are reading.

Slavery does still exist and we are slaves. Debt slaves. Life wasnt intended to be 5 days on,2 days off, paying taxes and bills and penalized if you dont. Everything we do is busy and pointless to keep us from thinking about reality. Rats on a wheel
I'm starting to realize/believe/pretty sure that the Bible has been altered plenty over time and other things omitted.I at lack of a better term will call myself Christian because I do believe in a creator and I have accepted Jesus Christ as lord and savior..but i'm starting to think the over all definition of that by the established is wrong and/or a purposeful misleading lie.

jowa1951

I do not think the Bible should go under any more changes, It has been alter enough, That is the problem, The word of God has almost been erased, From the book that supposed to be the word of God, Man has tamper with the bible so much that is full of contradiction
History has shown that the Bible suffered changes
throughout the ages. As I stated before, from 1538 up to the
1970’s it has
undergone dozens of changes and there are dozens of
versions of the Bible
You know that there cannot be different
versions of God’s word.
The last two major changes made to
the Revised Standard Version were in 1952 and 1971
The New
American Standard Bible and the
New World Translation of the
Holy Scriptures have expunged
certain verses compared with
the King James Version. Reader’s Digest has reduced the Old
Testament by
fifty percent
and the New Testament condensed
by about
twenty-five percent
. Some years ago Christian
theologians wanted to “desex” the Bible.
Some Christian
Theologians claim: “It is human as well as divine.” This is a
clear contradiction as it cannot be both! From the above facts it
is clear that the Bible is “Human” and not “Divine”.
Does
“holy” to you mean that the Bible is free from error?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I guess this is geared to anyone who isn't Christian or sees the full bible as inspired in one way or another.

no two people read any one line with the same reception
give them an entire book of many volumes and you get 7billion unique reactions

I think God and heaven want it that way

the disappointment with any scripture comes when a better mind of spirit fails to gel

Dave Sigmann

Among the things that should be taken out are Jesus' teachings of intolerance and leaving one's family if they don't believe the same as you.

Topic: Leave family members who are not of your faith
Matt 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

Matt 10:34-37: 34Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Matt 8:21-22: And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

22But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

Topic: Curse those that don't believe as you do
Matt 10:14-15 14And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

15Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city. (So, if we don't believe you are god, you are going to send destruction upon us; see also Matt 11:20-24).

Matt 12:30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad. (Wonderful black and white thinking that makes enemies of anyone who does not become your follower).

Matt 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. (What loving language; I am sure that will endear you in people's hearts.)

Matt 13:41-42: 41The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

42And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. (So, if we offend you by not doing what you want us to do, you promise to burn us. Does that remind you of evil King of Babylon?)

Matt 22:12-13: 12And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.

13Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (So, if I don't have the right clothes on you'll cast me into outer darkness. Your love overwhelms me.)

Matt 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: (God, you are so nice, if we don't help every single person in need, you'll burn us.)

Those are just the teachings of Jesus. Now, if we look at what Jesus did as Jehovah of the Old Testament... (the following is reused from another thread) His Love for us explains why he killed every living creature except for a few during the Flood he caused, why he commanded the Israelites to needlessly slaughter helpless animals as sacrifices, why he killed children and infants in Sodom, why he killed the Egyptian first borns, why he orders the death penalty for adultery and treats women as inferior and unclean, why God sent two bears to rip up 42 children for making fun of Elisha's bald head, why he threatens hellfire to anyone who refuses to kiss his ***, etc.

He expects us to give of our love freely to God. Well, I am sorry, but love cannot be freely given in an environment in which we are threatened with hell if we don't love and worship him. I have no fear because the God of Abraham does not exist. I don't doubt that one bit. But, if he did exist I would not want anything to do with him. He just seems like a big bully who is full of himself. The whole idea of sin was invented to keep us in bondage and "gratitude" to a god that does not even exist. Sorry, but I will get my instructions on the virtue of love from someone who doesn't have so much hate for those who don't buy his bull.

As for things that should be added to the Bible; I'd like to redo the Ten Commandments.

At this point in my life I pretty much have an allergic reaction to the word "commandments". But, often as a believing Mormon, especially after learning a little more about how humans function psychologically, I began to be dissatisfied with the big Ten. With all the wisdom, insight, and understanding of human nature and our needs that God was supposed to have, the Ten Commandments seemed to be lacking in the instructions that would really be useful to humankind.There is no commandment against physical abuse. There is no commandment to work for social justice. It would have been nice if the message in the Beattitudes was in the big Ten.

Now, I don't believe in god anymore. I realize that today many of the big Ten are ignored and violated, many times even by believers. But, for many, many years people tried to live by the big Ten and many still do today. So, if you could change history, what would you make the Ten Commandments, if you knew that many people would try to live by them?

As a reminder, here is a list of the old commandments:

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

Here is my revised list:

1) Strive to use your best judgment. Realize that these commandments are aspirational in nature. Their intent is to guide and inspire toward the very highest ethical ideals. There may be times when the most appropriate course is to supercede one of these principles, so use your best judgment. Practice moderation - you need not run faster than you have strength.

2) Strive to limit the harm one causes. Be aware of the possible consequences of your actions, and make a reasonable effort to not cause unnecessary injury or obstruction or damage. This includes harm to one's self, others, all living things and the environment. This does not mean that you should seclude yourself so as to limit the chances of doing anyone harm and it is understood that by living you will cause some harm - you have to eat something, your body fights bacteria, you will produce some waste products, etc. Be reasonable with one's expectations on this point.

3) Strive to benefit one's self, others, and the environment. In as much as it is possible, and with respect for the desires of others (i.e., don't help when your help is reasonably not wanted), help all to live healthily and adaptively.

4) Strive to be trustworthy. Excepting times when honesty puts others in danger, seek to be honest in your dealings with others. Hold in confidence information that should be kept confidential. Act with integrity and be true and honest with one's self.

5) Strive to take appropriate responsibility for one's actions. Keep your word and uphold your commitments. Repair the damage your actions may have caused. Sincerely apologize to, and if possible reimburse, individuals you may have injured. Know the laws and what is expected of you. Once you have done what you can to right your wrongs, forgive yourself and move on.

6) Strive to be fair and just. Inasmuch as possible practice equity. Be aware of and try to limit the influence of one's biases and prejudices.

7) Strive to respect and protect the rights and dignity of one's self, others, and all of creation. It is not enough to ensure that you are not mistreating others, you must strive for social justice for humans and the humane treatment of animals. All people have a right to self-determination. Special safeguards may be necessary to protect the rights and welfare of persons or communities whose vulnerabilities impair autonomous decision making.

8) Strive to be patient and forgiving. Try to have patience with one's self, others, and anticipated events in life. Free yourself of the bondage of resentment and disappointment.

9) Strive to gain understanding. Knowledge enables one to make better use of that which is available and helps one to successfully adapt to one's environment.

10) Strive to love, show empathy, and be compassionate. We are a social species and for much of our lives are dependent on one another. It is important to our well-being and mental and emotional health to have strong relationships with others. Loving is satisfying to the soul and beautiful. Empathy and compassion can calm arguments and disagreements.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Among the things that should be taken out are Jesus' teachings of intolerance and leaving one's family if they don't believe the same as you.

Topic: Leave family members who are not of your faith
Matt 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

Matt 10:34-37: 34Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Matt 8:21-22: And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

22But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

Topic: Curse those that don't believe as you do
Matt 10:14-15 14And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

15Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city. (So, if we don't believe you are god, you are going to send destruction upon us; see also Matt 11:20-24).

Matt 12:30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad. (Wonderful black and white thinking that makes enemies of anyone who does not become your follower).

Matt 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. (What loving language; I am sure that will endear you in people's hearts.)

Matt 13:41-42: 41The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

42And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. (So, if we offend you by not doing what you want us to do, you promise to burn us. Does that remind you of evil King of Babylon?)

Matt 22:12-13: 12And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.

13Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (So, if I don't have the right clothes on you'll cast me into outer darkness. Your love overwhelms me.)

Matt 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: (God, you are so nice, if we don't help every single person in need, you'll burn us.)

Those are just the teachings of Jesus.
Some very good evidence that Matthew 7:23 doesn't have Jesus saying, "I never knew you", but must have him saying, "You never knew me".

I take scriptures which sound like threats, as warnings. In this world of which Jesus is not a part of, bad things will happen to you if you choose not to walk with wisdom.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Some very good evidence that Matthew 7:23 doesn't have Jesus saying, "I never knew you", but must have him saying, "You never knew me".

I take scriptures which sound like threats, as warnings. In this world of which Jesus is not a part of, bad things will happen to you if you choose not to walk with wisdom.

I want to pick at this.

Jesus did mean "I never knew you" like a parent whose child has deserted her, and she tells the child "I never knew you (because you have left me)."

If it wasn't followed up by punishment, it would make sense. The child isn't there. How can the child know the mother.

However, the mother says

If you love anyone else other than me than you are not worthy of me. Basically, like Abraham, if you don't "give up your son" for the creator, you are not worthy to be his "child" and inherit eternal life.

So, basically, the child is passively aggressively by ultimatum forced to love god for sake of his life. What human mother would give a child the option to either love her or punish him for not loving her (or even being around her to begin with)?

I know the thread is "changing the bible" so it's healthy to see christ saying it that way. Just thinkin' if we actually went off of what he said in context of what his father says and what happens if things are not done in their command, then, well, it's nice to hope that jesus displayed unconditional love but he actually meant, if you don't follow the creator, you're have no eternal life.

Why would a parent give a child that type of ultimatum regardless of how the child interprets it for himself?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I want to pick at this.

Jesus did mean "I never knew you" like a parent whose child has deserted her, and she tells the child "I never knew you (because you have left me)."

If it wasn't followed up by punishment, it would make sense. The child isn't there. How can the child know the mother.

However, the mother says

If you love anyone else other than me than you are not worthy of me. Basically, like Abraham, if you don't "give up your son" for the creator, you are not worthy to be his "child" and inherit eternal life.

So, basically, the child is passively aggressively by ultimatum forced to love god for sake of his life. What human mother would give a child the option to either love her or punish him for not loving her (or even being around her to begin with)?

I know the thread is "changing the bible" so it's healthy to see christ saying it that way. Just thinkin' if we actually went off of what he said in context of what his father says and what happens if things are not done in their command, then, well, it's nice to hope that jesus displayed unconditional love but he actually meant, if you don't follow the creator, you're have no eternal life.

Why would a parent give a child that type of ultimatum regardless of how the child interprets it for himself?
I don't think the writer meant what people says he means.

I think loving God is as though you are choosing God's way to learn God's way. Jesus meant that you can't be choosing all kinds of ways and believe that it is God's way to do so.

Loving God means eyes focused on God. How can you at the same time have your eyes focused on anything else and still believe they are focused on God?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't think the writer meant what people says he means.

I think loving God is as though you are choosing God's way to learn God's way. Jesus meant that you can't be choosing all kinds of ways and believe that it is God's way to do so.

Loving God means eyes focused on God. How can you at the same time have your eyes focused on anything else and still believe they are focused on God?

Well, given how god is seen, to him it would not be possible. To myself and others, love has many facets. Some people feel religions overlap because love is not two sided. Others, like myself, see people who love in their own ways of expression that I may not share and that's okay.

I guess individual preferences in how they see life. Why would a god want people to limit themselves to other aspects of love only for him?

That, to me personally, sounds like a mother wanting her child to love her more than that child's father and even in addition, that child's adopted-mother edit only because she is the biological parent of that child.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I hope I don't overstep my bounds replying here. Many so-called Christians tell me I'm going to hell because I am not a literalist (ie legalist). In that vein, I don't think the scriptures need to be rewritten: we need to change our approach to them. No, we don't need or want to become literalists/legalists.

I'd like to redo the Ten Commandments.
You don't need to. Jesus did that already.

Jesus' commandment: Love each other.

There. We're done. Just the one. Next project.

Literalist/legalists want to treat the Old and New Testaments as a legal document. There's little in either document to support that view. Peter and Paul figured out that legalism was more than counter productive and kept preaching against it. Check out Peter's dream and the entire book of Galatians.

So, approach it as it was meant to be: a blog about man searching for God.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, given how god is seen, to him it would not be possible. To myself and others, love has many facets. Some people feel religions overlap because love is not two sided. Others, like myself, see people who love in their own ways of expression that I may not share and that's okay.

I guess individual preferences in how they see life. Why would a god want people to limit themselves to other aspects of love only for him?

That, to me personally, sounds like a mother wanting her child to love her more than that child's father and even in addition, that child's adopted-mother edit only because she is the biological parent of that child.
What I am saying is that love in this context isn't interest, kindness, and affection. I think the love Jesus taught means soul. Can you give your soul to more than one? How?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What I am saying is that love in this context isn't interest, kindness, and affection. I think the love Jesus taught means soul. Can you give your soul to more than one? How?

Sure. We do so to our parents (I hope), families, and so forth. I give my soul to my grandmothers, and the spirits I talk to through them. I give myself to a multitude of people and environment because to me that's being humble and it volunteers my love to more than one person and aspect of life whether concrete, say gratitude to the sun or abstract, happiness that I am alive.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sure. We do so to our parents (I hope), families, and so forth. I give my soul to my grandmothers, and the spirits I talk to through them. I give myself to a multitude of people and environment because to me that's being humble and it volunteers my love to more than one person and aspect of life whether concrete, say gratitude to the sun or abstract, happiness that I am alive.
No, I think that the soul is the whole YOU. If you give your soul to someone and then to someone else, you have to take it away from the first one to give it to the next one, and so on and so on.......

When you give it away you belong to the one you gave it to.