• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chastity or Promiscuity? Which is best and why?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Let me ask you this, and this is a genuine question, can you give me a scenario in where being promiscuous is better than being chaste? in this scenario please consider the big picture and how that person got themselves in that predicament to begin with. I am defining Chastity as it's understood, which is to be refrain from sex and the types of environments and situations that could lead to such consequences. Such as not sending nudes to people, not getting drunk at parties, dressing modestly, not experiment, with drugs and so forth. Someone that is "Pure" and "virtuous"

First, to be chaste, is a married person supposed to not have sex? if so, that is a clear situation where being chaste is a bad idea. Promiscuity (having more than one partner) is clearly far preferable.

Second, if a person does not intend to marry, having sex outside of marriage is going to be a good thing. It forms bonds between people that are positive and healthy.

Third, even in a marriage it is possible that having more than one partner can be a benefit. It can add spice to the marriage, reduce resentment, etc.

Earthtank

Third, even in a marriage it is possible that having more than one partner can be a benefit. It can add spice to the marriage, reduce resentment, etc.

I should have read this before my previous reply. If that is your idea of marriage then, its pointless carrying this on. Either 1) you are not married or 2) You are NOT happily married.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
When a young lady respects herself, she earns respect from others. She is admired and held in high esteem.
Sure there are the jealous bunch that will try to tarnish her reputation, and violate her, but the civilized respectable person looks at her with admiration.
Such a girl, will be chaste, and keep herself that way, while looking for Mr. Right - a respectable, and respected guy.

And this is where I fundamentally disagree. First, it isn't only about women. It is also about men. Second, it isn't about having sex partners. it is about having partners that you care about and respect.

A young man who respects himself, can't not admire such a girl, and he will respect her. Why? Because she is a queen in his eye - highly esteemed, and he is awed at her inner beauty.

Sorry, but I disagree here also. I do not value lack of experience. I value someone who knows her own standards, can make decisions for herself, and has explored what she likes and does not.

Both these individuals would be mindful of the feelings of one another, and not do anything that might ruin their dignity, and respect for self.
If that is broken at any time, respect has lost its value. So chastity is vital for respect to flourish.

And I don't see chastity as you have defined it to be dignified. In fact, I see it as an actual negative in a partner. It shows someone who has chosen not to participate in the joys life offers us and instead adhere to an arbitrary code that harms more people than it helps.

A marriage between these two will be a marriage where there is deep respect. It is not easily broken,
However, it is easier to break a cord of two strands , than three, so having another kind of respect is even better. (Ecclesiastes 4:11, 12)

And there can be respect while still having other partners. Your scenario is only one of many possibilities where people respect each other. The point is that I don't see sex as being against dignity. In fact, i see it as supporting such.

A married couple who has a mutual moral rule of conduct that guides their every thought, word, and deed, will be forever guided to maintain respect throughout their marriage life.

Yes, and that code should be to be honest and understanding, to abide by agreements and value the other person. Nothing in that requires monogamy or chastity.

This is where God's moral law comes in. Because there is an obligation on both individuals, to respect God, and his standards, they have a mutual commitment - First to God (1), and to each other (2) = 3. The cord is stronger.

As an atheist, I disagree with this.

A person may argue that they can have their own morality apart from God, but the problem with that is, it may not be mutual, and even if it is agreed upon, it is not anchored to anything, and can easily be changed, removed, broken, and discarded.

It is anchored in the relationship and can change when both people want it to. And that is as it should be.

So I would say, we need God's moral standards to strengthen the bond of respect between two persons. The potential for breakage is greatly reduced.

IMO.

If it works for you, then go for it. It doesn't work for me.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I should have read this before my previous reply. If that is your idea of marriage then, its pointless carrying this on. Either 1) you are not married or 2) You are NOT happily married.

I am, in fact, happily married. My wife also has another partner, which is OK by the standards of our marriage. We are, in fact, committed to each other.

nPeace

Veteran Member
First, to be chaste, is a married person supposed to not have sex? if so, that is a clear situation where being chaste is a bad idea. Promiscuity (having more than one partner) is clearly far preferable.

Second, if a person does not intend to marry, having sex outside of marriage is going to be a good thing. It forms bonds between people that are positive and healthy.

This sounds like a way of thinking.
So I guess that means you prefer the worldly mentality, as it is not the thinking of persons with a view that the world's way of thinking is immoral.
To each his own, however.
What does it lead to, still remains the question.
Could it be, that ideology is the root cause of so many promiscuous children, and pregnant girls, and high abortion rates, and STDs... and the list goes on?
So when persons ask why... is it not because they don't really care about the first domino that fell? ...and so the answer eludes them.

Earthtank

My wife also has another partner, which is OK by the standards of our marriage.

OK then, respectfully, i ask, what does she need you for? Also, what you are describing defies the definition of a marriage. People can use all the wordplay they want, such as open marriage and other terms to make themselves feel better but, that still does not change the definition of what marriage really is.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
This sounds like a way of thinking.
So I guess that means you prefer the worldly mentality, as it is not the thinking of persons with a view that the world's way of thinking is immoral.

I think there are many aspects of modern society that are immoral. But I see morality as based in whether people have better, more fulfilling lives or not.

To each his own, however.
What does it lead to, still remains the question.
Could it be, that ideology is the root cause of so many promiscuous children, and pregnant girls, and high abortion rates, and STDs... and the list goes on?

I think all of these are more a result of bad education than of lack of morality. if properly educated and in a society that encourages healthy sexuality, these would be less of a problem. Witness most of Europe.

So when persons ask why... is it not because they don't really care about the first domino that fell? ...and so the answer eludes them.

I see religion as the domino causing much heartache and suffering in the world, especially as it comes to sexuality. it would be much better if we encouraged people to explore their sexuality, and still had a healthy regard to personal choices, and self-respect. I deny that virginity has anything to do with self-respect, though.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
OK then, respectfully, i ask, what does she need you for?
Huh? Emotional support, the simple aspect of waking up with another person, sharing lives, etc. Sex is only one small aspect of a relationship.

Also, what you are describing defies the definition of a marriage. People can use all the wordplay they want, such as open marriage and other terms to make themselves feel better but, that still does not change the definition of what marriage really is.

For you. For me, the definition is more open. A marriage is an agreement between two people who care for each other. Sex is one of the least important aspects of it.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Not the way i understand it. Its to refrain from premarital sex, not marital sex.

Refraining from marital sex is just marriage :D

LOL. I like to say that I believe in sex before marriage, but I'm not sure it exists after. :)

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What is this hangup with sex all about? As long as all concerned are agreeable what is the problem? It certainly isnt any concern of those not involved.

Premarital sex is no bad thing, it helps provide sexual experience that will be required after marriage. So long as proper precautions against unwanted pregnancies and SDIs are taken.

Earthtank

Emotional support, the simple aspect of waking up with another person, sharing lives, etc. Sex is only one small aspect of a relationship.

OK so what is different between you and her other partner(s)? With all due respect, and please do not take anything i say with ill intent but, it seems like you are both/all being used for 2 different reasons. If you are in fact her partner then, why need someone else for sex? Are you not enough?