• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Childless millennials / Gen Z

wellwisher

This is a thread to talk about childlessness...in our generations.

The boomers are invited too... to express their view on us. ;)

Like this:

View attachment 98184

PS. OK, Boomers ;)

I am part of the baby boomer generation. Our parents were part of the Golden Generation. They had survived a Great Depression and World War 2, and due to the "all hands on deck attitude of the war effort," had also learned to become soldiers in terms of the endurance needed for raising a family. The tragedy of war and how it impacted almost all families, made families closer; life replaces death.

It was also a simpler time with very little need for the welfare state. Families were more extended to grandparents. Housing was much cheaper; GI Bill, allowing almost any family to afford a house. Most women did not have to work, with the pay of just the husband, sufficient to have the American dream; house, family, yard, etc. Neighbors knew each other and all looked out for each reach other's children, since the children played together.

What screwed this all up was Liberalism of the 1960-70's, women's liberation, open relationships, divorce, welfare state, etc. Open, experimental relationships, and divorce caused the price of living to skyrocket, since now the nuclear families needed two households which increase housing demand and price.

The separation of many parents and children, hardened the next generation of children, who was in the middle of this new satellite family. That was not as good, as their parent had had, as children. Mothers now had to work or get on welfare and both parents struggled as demand for housing doubled. The children did not trust, that they would be any different in terms of their family. With the father usually not present, the children got a half adult education; too feminizes.

The push to make males the cultural enemy; cavemen, to justify reverse discrimination, did a lot of harm to the boys, who became more he/she; women's version of a man. Many women do not want children, when they already had a lazy man child. Then there was abortion. Back in my day, if a young guy knocked up a girl, they would do the right thing, by the child, and get married. Often families were not planned but brought together by natural fate. But with abortion, that need to do the right thing, did not lead to families and children, so this natural fate had less of an influence.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Well nevermind.. I just know that the whole topic of marriage and topics around it can have very diverse opinions. I've heard many tell me it isn't worth it, or that they'd never do it. I guess you've given me your take on it. Though I'm still curious what role you think 'chance' plays in all this, if any.
Not even sure what "chance" has to do with it.

To be honest with you, if whether or not I might be able to buy a mansion in the future is a criteria of the woman who's trying to "bag me", or that I am attracted to, to go for it... then to me that is a gigantic red flag and probably a reason to not pursue it any further.

Such a woman has priorities in place that are incompatible with mine.

amorphous_constellation

Not even sure what "chance" has to do with it.

To be honest with you, if whether or not I might be able to buy a mansion in the future is a criteria of the woman who's trying to "bag me", or that I am attracted to, to go for it... then to me that is a gigantic red flag and probably a reason to not pursue it any further.

Such a woman has priorities in place that are incompatible with mine.
that's not the kinda of the thing I was indicating, no.. that's kinda extreme. I'm just talking about a modest house. Then again, with house prices the way they are now / the way they build modern houses, it does seem like high-grade houses are kind of becoming the only option. Ironically however, I question if the modern materials used to build modern houses aren't actually far cheaper to produce, and get to places, than they ever were

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
that's not the kinda of the thing I was indicating, no.. that's kinda extreme. I'm just talking about a modest house.

Well... whatever type of house, really....
If material wealth of ANY kind is a parameter, then she would have priorities incompatible with mine.

I do have standards / criteria, mind you, which might be somewhat connected. Being somewhat intelligent for example. I'ld have a hard time being with someone that seems incapable of having an intelligent conversation. And sure, with a certain level of intelligence usually comes the option of being able to get a decent job which in turn comes with the option of making decent money.

But I stress the word "option". If having a nice paying job doesn't make her happy, then so be it. I'ld rather be happy together in a small apartment then miserable in a big castle.

I value personality traits. I care very little for material stuff when it comes to "choosing" a life partner.

Then again, with house prices the way they are now / the way they build modern houses, it does seem like high-grade houses are kind of becoming the only option. Ironically however, I question if the modern materials used to build modern houses aren't actually far cheaper to produce, and get to places, than they ever were
Can't really comment on that. I also don't know where you are posting from. It seems to me that building standards vary greatly from country to country.

Certain building materials over here sure are expensive. Then there's also regulations for "new" houses they need to comply to (like energy standards), which also can be quite expensive.

Next to that, "building" has been made a bit artificially expensive also, in order to motivate people more to buy existing houses and restore them. Another way to motivate that is by helping out through subsidies for certain types of renovations, based on how it is renovated and how old the building is.

So I imagine it will vary greatly from country to country. Within Belgium itself, it even varies greatly from province to province and even from town to town.
I would expect that is the same in other countries as well... A nice 250k house in the countryside would probably cost at least twice as much in new york city for example...

With real estate, it's always location, location, location.

amorphous_constellation

Well... whatever type of house, really....
If material wealth of ANY kind is a parameter, then she would have priorities incompatible with mine.

I do have standards / criteria, mind you, which might be somewhat connected. Being somewhat intelligent for example. I'ld have a hard time being with someone that seems incapable of having an intelligent conversation. And sure, with a certain level of intelligence usually comes the option of being able to get a decent job which in turn comes with the option of making decent money.

But I stress the word "option". If having a nice paying job doesn't make her happy, then so be it. I'ld rather be happy together in a small apartment then miserable in a big castle.

I value personality traits. I care very little for material stuff when it comes to "choosing" a life partner.

Can't really comment on that. I also don't know where you are posting from. It seems to me that building standards vary greatly from country to country.

Certain building materials over here sure are expensive. Then there's also regulations for "new" houses they need to comply to (like energy standards), which also can be quite expensive.

Next to that, "building" has been made a bit artificially expensive also, in order to motivate people more to buy existing houses and restore them. Another way to motivate that is by helping out through subsidies for certain types of renovations, based on how it is renovated and how old the building is.

So I imagine it will vary greatly from country to country. Within Belgium itself, it even varies greatly from province to province and even from town to town.
I would expect that is the same in other countries as well... A nice 250k house in the countryside would probably cost at least twice as much in new york city for example...

With real estate, it's always location, location, location.
Dang, I can't sleep much today.. (I work 3rd shift). But I slept a lot yesterday anyway. Yeah I come from the american midwest. Out here, the cheaper houses are oftentimes kind of out in the country, but then the commute becomes ungodly. There are also some cheaper houses in the city, but I highly dislike busy areas. Maybe I'm being a snob.

I guess I have standards that involve at least some level of material success, above what I was able to attain when younger. I made poor decisions about what kind of work to do, I suppose. Anyway, have a nice day.. I don't have much more to say on this topic right now

------------

I think that what really becomes expensive, once a country has not 'frontier' left, is actually land.. Building materials could cost pennies, and if there was not enough land, the cost of getting a home would still inflate

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Dang, I can't sleep much today.. (I work 3rd shift). But I slept a lot yesterday anyway. Yeah I come from the american midwest. Out here, the cheaper houses are oftentimes kind of out in the country, but then the commute becomes ungodly. There are also some cheaper houses in the city, but I highly dislike busy areas. Maybe I'm being a snob.

I don't consider that snob-ish. I wouldn't want to live in a busy area either, let alone a big city. Country side all the way for me! Peace and quite!
I've lived in the city for a very short while. There was a reason for why it was very short. Never again!

Some people like that. Good for them. I don't. I love how I can go into my garden at 11 at night and hear.... like... nothing at all! :)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
My first house was very small and was $64K. I had $25K to put down on it. I remember it like it was yesterday.