• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Childless millennials / Gen Z

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
You had kids.
Yes

You are rich.

No

Good.
But most millennials aren't rich.
Most millennials are barely out of school, just starting their professional lives and probably still live in their parental home.

They barely register as adults. Why, or how, would they be "rich", unless they received a bunch of dollars from their parents? What on earth are you yapping about.............

I on the other hand am 44 and got my first kid at 35. By then I had been working and saving up for 12 years already. And the saving was only possible because we lived in a cheap, very modest and old, appartement for 10 years. Those savings gave us a small budget which made us eligible for a loan to buy a modest house. We had to loan 85% of the purchasing cost of 285k. Another 10 years after that (a good 2 years ago today) we sold that place for 341k and moved to a 349k home. I'll be 62 by the time it is finally paid off.

No, I'm not rich at all.
Rich folks live in +750k homes, at the very least, and won't be paying it off over the course of 30 years, but only 15 or something instead.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The Italian population decline would be good news
if it were factual rather than a projection based upon
assumptions that could change. I'm less optimistic.
I really adore you when you are so honest.

After all... we are wicked in the eyes of many Americans because we side with Putin.
:)
Assume that and move on.... Putin is one million times better than Hillary, Husseinobama and similar. ;)

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The Italian population decline would be good news
if it were factual rather than a projection based upon
assumptions that could change. I'm less optimistic.
By the way...there is a solution.
Just nuke us all... :)

After all....we must be punished for siding with the tsar.

Altfish

Veteran Member
The birth rates in Africa and in Asia have skyrocketed ...and I don't think women deliberately decide to create children in extremely poor conditions.

Just think that in my country not even people with 2 incomes make children because the Euro-dictatorship makes life a nightmare.
The most important/significant factor in birth rates is education, the more educated the less children. Second most important is participation in the work force. Women who work have less children.
High child mortality rates also lead to higher birth rates.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The most important/significant factor in birth rates is education, the more educated the less children.
Yes...but the wealthy have lots of kids because they need someone to pass on their millions of dollars to.

Second most important is participation in the work force. Women who work have less children.
Especially if they are underpaid and cannot afford a nanny.
How can you raise a child, if you work all day?
You need a nanny.

amorphous_constellation

Not sure what is tripping you up....

Having kids comes with responsibility. It means you are no longer free to go party all night, get drunk and sleep in till noon the next day. At 7 in the morning, the kid is awake and wants food. At 8-9 at night, the kid goes to bed. "Party time" is over for the parent at that point.

Your entire week schedule becomes half determined by the kids.
There's no more "let's go have a drink" after work, because you need to pick up the kid from school.
There's no more "let's get a bite to eat with friends after work", because the kid needs to be dropped off at soccer practice.
There's no more "I need a break, let's book a hotel and go skiing", because it's a school week and the kid needs to go to school.

The people I talk about have a lifestyle that they know they will need to give up completely once kids are part of the picture.
I don't know, maybe I misread something. I was just thinking that you were talking about people who party, and who want to avoid responsibility.. But I was kind of wondering if most people who have kids don't plan it out that well, in the aggregate of people who do have them. And that might explain as well, why the divorce rate is high. I'm too tired at the moment to think harder about all of that

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I had four kids in my twenties. They are 41, 39, 37, and 35 now. I was not wealthy or particularly educated. But they are fantastic people and I am so glad I had them.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I had four kids in my twenties. They are 41, 39, 37, and 35 now. I was not wealthy or particularly educated. But they are fantastic people and I am so glad I had them.
In the Reagan age?
USA was a paradise back then. ;)

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Especially if they are underpaid and cannot afford a nanny.
How can you raise a child, if you work all day?
You need a nanny.
We both work full time. We didn't have a nanny, nor could we afford one, nor would we have wanted one even if we could...

Our eldest, before he went to school, went to daycare 3 days a week and 2 days to the grand parents. 1 day to my parents and another day to my wife's parents.
Our youngest, went to daycare 4 days a week because my parents became to old to take care of a baby.

Now that they are at school, I drop them off in the morning at around 8:15 and then I go to work.
When school's out, they go to after-school care where we pick them up again at around 17h30, give or take depending on traffic.

Sounds like you watch too many hollywood movies.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
We both work full time. We didn't have a nanny, nor could we afford one, nor would we have wanted one even if we could...

Our eldest, before he went to school, went to daycare 3 days a week and 2 days to the grand parents. 1 day to my parents and another day to my wife's parents.
Grandparents are not substitute nannies.
No offense... but as an Anti-Natalist I tell my circle of friends: if you can't afford a nanny, don't make children.
Our youngest, went to daycare 4 days a week because my parents became to old to take care of a baby.

Now that they are at school, I drop them off in the morning at around 8:15 and then I go to work.
When school's out, they go to after-school care where we pick them up again at around 17h30, give or take depending on traffic.

Sounds like you watch too many hollywood movies.
No...I live in the 21st century. :)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Ours was unplanned, but not unwanted, although it scared the bejeezus out of me when I found out. It wasn't only wanted, but it's the best of all that has ever happened to me in life, so what it wasn't planned ... Who cares?
I am sterile...and I have never had the parental vocation.

So I am shocked whenever I see sterile couples spending thousands of dollars to become pregnant.
I mean...there is also adoption. :)