• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Children in Heaven

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
In another thread, someone asked what happens to innocent children that are killed. A few posters indicated that if a child hasn't reached the age of moral culpability yet that they would go to Heaven (or paradise, or whatever) to be with the Lord.

Something bugs me about this, though: isn't it therefore infinitely better to die very young than to live at all?

According to many doctrines, humans are sinful creatures that are prone to "mess up" and fail to attain heaven: in fact, according to many beliefs, many more are going to Hell than are going to Heaven. These are not good odds -- wouldn't it be many times better for as many humans as possible to die very young (and therefore be guaranteed Heaven) than to have ~80 years of life on Earth to possibly lose it all?

Wouldn't, therefore, the most selfless act possible to be killing all children before the age of moral culpability? Sure, those that do the killing lose eternity -- but they've gained eternity for so many countless humans that would probably have ended up in Hell anyway!

Right?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
What will children talk about in heaven?

Good question. Also, do stillborn babies go to heaven? If so, then they'll never have experienced suffering yet still get eternal bliss -- why isn't it like that for all of us if so?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Or maybe it would just be best to live a good life. Instead of focusing on what may or may not happen in the afterlife, as no one seems to agree, just forgetting about all of that and living this life to the fullest, in the best way possible, may just be the right way to go. And really, that does seem to be an under lying idea in all of these ideas concerning g the after life.

Awoon

Good question. Also, do stillborn babies go to heaven? If so, then they'll never have experienced suffering yet still get eternal bliss -- why isn't it like that for all of us if so?

Well religions are more interested in a book God and Science is interested in inventing words for stuff it discovers.

Neither can explain how we grow ourselves in the womb or how we die.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Or maybe it would just be best to live a good life. Instead of focusing on what may or may not happen in the afterlife, as no one seems to agree, just forgetting about all of that and living this life to the fullest, in the best way possible, may just be the right way to go. And really, that does seem to be an under lying idea in all of these ideas concerning g the after life.

As a humanist, I'm certainly not opposed to that. I'm just questioning how people who believe the premises I outlined in the OP cope with the apparent problems it raises.

Skwim

Veteran Member
In another thread, someone asked what happens to innocent children that are killed. A few posters indicated that if a child hasn't reached the age of moral culpability yet that they would go to Heaven (or paradise, or whatever) to be with the Lord.

Something bugs me about this, though: isn't it therefore infinitely better to die very young than to live at all?

According to many doctrines, humans are sinful creatures that are prone to "mess up" and fail to attain heaven: in fact, according to many beliefs, many more are going to Hell than are going to Heaven. These are not good odds -- wouldn't it be many times better for as many humans as possible to die very young (and therefore be guaranteed Heaven) than to have ~80 years of life on Earth to possibly lose it all?

Wouldn't, therefore, the most selfless act possible to be killing all children before the age of moral culpability? Sure, those that do the killing lose eternity -- but they've gained eternity for so many countless humans that would probably have ended up in Hell anyway!

Right?
No money, or opportunity for power. Gotta have new people coming up the ranks to sell the product (fear and how to beat it) to. Bad business to bite the hand that feeds you or kill the golden goose. :D
As far as the whole thing making sense, ya can't. That's why "faith" is the believer's mantra: don't matter how bad or unreasonable it appears, faith that it "ain't true" will get you through the night. Please put your offering in the collection plate. Thank you, good brother. And let's have no more questions about the young uns in Heaven. Okay?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
As a humanist, I'm certainly not opposed to that. I'm just questioning how people who believe the premises I outlined in the OP cope with the apparent problems it raises.

In their perspective, anyone who has heard the gospel, and has learned about salvation, has had the choice to accept it or reject it.

Those who haven't heard the gospel are not held accountable as they didn't know any better.

So, it comes down to choice.

Skwim

Veteran Member
In their perspective, anyone who has heard the gospel, and has learned about salvation, has had the choice to accept it or reject it.

Those who haven't heard the gospel are not held accountable as they didn't know any better.

So one is really better off not having heard the gospel.

Photonic

Ad astra!

Right?

Seems to fit the bill.

Trey of Diamonds

Interesting question, I look forward to seeing the answers. As for me, I don't believe in the traditional heaven and hell associated with Abrahamic religions. To experience life is better than to die so killing children does nothing for them but could be very bad for you.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

But then isn't it best not to tell anyone about the gospel?

Isn't therefore telling someonet he gospel a potential infinite torture sentence, since then it becomes possible they'd go to Hell?

That's perplexing!

Photonic

Ad astra!
But then isn't it best not to tell anyone about the gospel?

Isn't therefore telling someonet he gospel a potential infinite torture sentence, since then it becomes possible they'd go to Hell?

That's perplexing!

Yea, seems like for the betterment of mankind, the gospel should never be spread again, that ensures that all will go to heaven no matter what.

Bismillah

Submit
To be held culpable for rejecting truth it must have been revealed to you.