• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian bookstore pulls Bible from shelves, anti-abortion advocates celebrate

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I think Lifeway handled themselves honestly. It's a company that projects as conservative/Christian. What do you expect?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a Christian bookstore, they are obviously not going to support this sort of thing. They did what anyone would expect them to do.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
The title of the thread (and the article) is intentionally inflammatory. It's not the CONTENT of the bible, it's because when this particular edition of this particular bible is sold, a portion of the proceeds goes to Planned Parenthood.

It's Lifeway's right to determine whether or not they will support Planned Parenthood - or whether or not the majority of their patrons want to support Planned Parenthood.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

It is the following line that i find sad:

"Though we have assurances that Komen's funds are used only for breast cancer screening and awareness, it is not in keeping with LifeWay's core values to have even an indirect relationship with Planned Parenthood."

They know the fund is used only for breast cancer screening and awareness, and still they do rather not support it. I simply hope someday more people will start questioning those 'core values' they care so much about.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
It is there own business. I really don't see any problems with it. If anything, bravo to them for standing on there principles. Too many businesses abandoned principles for money long ago. It is a shame that much needed research will loose some potential funding, but if they don't want any affiliation with groups that affiliate with Planned Parenthood that is there thing.

Last edited:

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
On a related note, I once worked for a Christian bookstore as an atheist. It was probably the most hilarious three months of my life... and I got paid for it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
On a related note, I once worked for a Christian bookstore as an atheist. It was probably the most hilarious three months of my life... and I got paid for it.
I use to inventory a Christian book store, and also Hobby Lobby. The book store was quite frustrating seeing the types of books they have and knowing people actually believe them. One Hobby Lobby was kinda funny because I accidentally bumped a ceramic cross that was hanging on an over-stocked shelf, and it done a suicide dive knocking down and breaking several crosses on the way down, a few on the bottom shelf. It was easily over $150 in damages. Actually it seemed like I inaverdently ended up breaking more religious stuff than anything. I decapitated a Joseph at a dollar store, and broke song wings off some Precious Moments angels at the Christian bookstore.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I use the spend 100-200 a week at borders.... one day i decided to move all the bibles korans etc into the fantasy section....repetitively all day.... they wouldn't kick me out because i was their best customer but they made me move all the books back myself the 3 time.
then they gave me a free cup of coffie and book if i would stop.

now i only spend 20-30 a week on books /cry

Last edited:

nnmartin

seems to be quite common to have religious books in wrong sections.

often books related to paganism or New Age are in the fantasy, sci-fi sections.

The Celestine Prophecy and Da Vinci code (both novels) are in the Religion section in my local shop - guess the bias/lack of knowledge of owner and staff plays a big part.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
The Celestine Prophecy and Da Vinci code (both novels) are in the Religion section in my local shop - guess the bias/lack of knowledge of owner and staff plays a big part.

Lol, seriously? That's funny :D

nnmartin

yes, it's true, but I do live in Cambodia so I guess it's fair enough.

They know about Buddhism here obviously as well as the other major religions but as for Paganism or New Age forget it!

Actually I once had trouble buying a Bible as I didn't know the author - no sections in the shop just alphabetical listing by author.:cover:

I suppose it's a fair enough really when you think about it.

I mean if you worked in a bookstore back home and someone came in asking for the Tripitaka would you know what that was?

Skwim

Veteran Member
The title of the thread (and the article) is intentionally inflammatory. It's not the CONTENT of the bible, it's because when this particular edition of this particular bible is sold, a portion of the proceeds goes to Planned Parenthood.
I think that's unfair. The subject of the statement, Christian bookstore, and object, Bible, are quite correct---what better way to identify each?---as is the predicate verb, pulls ... from shelves. And it is true that anti-abortion advocates celebrate. So I don't see where you're coming from.

It's Lifeway's right to determine whether or not they will support Planned Parenthood - or whether or not the majority of their patrons want to support Planned Parenthood.
Yup.

jasonwill2

This is stupid; all the money went to breast cancer, no? Planned parenthood does help with some abortion stuff, but the article clearly stated that all the 1 Dollar bills from the Bible went to Breast Cancer.

er... not worded best, (its late/early) but you get what I mean.

So simply out of association, Christians stop giving money that could save lives? hypocritcal pro-lifers. the article said it all went to breast cancer. wouldnt that mean not to abortion?

I'm pro-life myself, but this is just completely STUPID.

kudos to the bookstore

none of the money went to abortions according to the article so all that they did was take away money that could go to saving lives. these people fuss about stopping abortions yet let people die because of a little association.

they are hypocrites.

Kathryn

My gosh, people act as if the only way to donate to cancer research is via the Komen Center, which, rather ineffectively, only manages to allot 13 cents on every dollar it raises toward it's cause. The other 87 cents per dollar goes to "administrative costs."

Corrupt Charities | Opinion | The Harvard Crimson

I'm just sayin'.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
My gosh, people act as if the only way to donate to cancer research is via the Komen Center...

This is most likely a misunderstanding on your part, because this obviously isn't the problem.

..., which, rather ineffectively, only manages to allot 13 cents on every dollar it raises toward it's cause. The other 87 cents per dollar goes to "administrative costs."

Corrupt Charities | Opinion | The Harvard Crimson

I'm just sayin'.

And the paragraph continues:"... Those 3-Day t-shirts must be high quality cotton. [See correction below.]".

You should have read the article until the very end. :sarcastic

"The May 15, 2006 op-ed, “Corrupt Charities,” incorrectly stated the percentage of donations to several charities that goes towards the people and programs that the charities exist to serve. According to Charity Navigator, a non-profit organization that reviews charitable groups, the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation spends 76.2 percent of money on its causes, not 13 percent."

Kathryn

This is most likely a misunderstanding on your part, because this obviously isn't the problem.

And the paragraph continues:"... Those 3-Day t-shirts must be high quality cotton. [See correction below.]".

You should have read the article until the very end. :sarcastic

"The May 15, 2006 op-ed, “Corrupt Charities,” incorrectly stated the percentage of donations to several charities that goes towards the people and programs that the charities exist to serve. According to Charity Navigator, a non-profit organization that reviews charitable groups, the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation spends 76.2 percent of money on its causes, not 13 percent."

Oh cool - thanks for the correction. My bad.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The title of the thread (and the article) is intentionally inflammatory.

I only copied and pasted the title from the article.

It's not the CONTENT of the bible, it's because when this particular edition of this particular bible is sold, a portion of the proceeds goes to Planned Parenthood.

Thing is the money went towards breast exams, not abortions.