• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian bookstore pulls Bible from shelves, anti-abortion advocates celebrate

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
On the contrary, I assume that most Christians would be horrified at the commercialization of Christianity's faith and practices.

I would think that the majority of Christians have the good sense to avoid establishments of this nature.

I can't stand Lifeway stores myself. Lots of useless pablum. Christianity Lite - Six Flags Over Jesus - whatever you want to call it. I hate to say this, and I hope I don't offend anyone, but they're much too Southern Baptist for my taste.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I wasn't talking about the crap. I was talking about the important things. The average consumer, especially the consumer who isn't internet savvy, isn't going to care about where they purchase their bible from, if their intent is to pick up a bible for study.

It steamed me that they were referred to as an "idiot" if they chose a store like Lifeway. That's all I was saying.

Personally, I see no difference between purchasing from Amazon or a store like Lifeway. When you get down to the heart of it, someone is profiting on God's word. I think that the less idiotic shopper is the shopper who price compares, to be honest.

I think of Granny. She'd have me purchase online for her if she got a better deal. She don't play. :)

I see where you're coming from. But have you ever been into a Lifeway store? You will find little or nothing in there that doesn't line up directly with very conservative, Southern Baptist doctrine. Lots of "Prayer of Jabez" and substandard Christian music as well. And there's some really good Christian music out there, and some really good Christian books, but Lifeway is very narrow when it comes to what they will carry. Of course, they would say "Narrow is the gate" or something like that, but I think it's more like "Narrow is the mind."

I had a friend who was looking for a rosary as a gift for someone. She's not Catholic and didn't know where to buy one. Someone else suggested Lifeway, and I quickly set her straight on that one - there's absolutely no way that Lifeway would carry rosaries - but they would surely carry literature that was critical of rosaries.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Pretty much. Lifeway requires employees to submit links to them concerning all facebook, twitter, and blog accounts. It also pretty much indiscriminately fires anyone after finding out he or she drinks, kisses in public, etc.

I hate that company. I'm pretty sure someone could bring a hefty lawsuit to them during the interview process.

Last edited:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I see where you're coming from. But have you ever been into a Lifeway store? You will find little or nothing in there that doesn't line up directly with very conservative, Southern Baptist doctrine. Lots of "Prayer of Jabez" and substandard Christian music as well. And there's some really good Christian music out there, and some really good Christian books, but Lifeway is very narrow when it comes to what they will carry. Of course, they would say "Narrow is the gate" or something like that, but I think it's more like "Narrow is the mind."

I had a friend who was looking for a rosary as a gift for someone. She's not Catholic and didn't know where to buy one. Someone else suggested Lifeway, and I quickly set her straight on that one - there's absolutely no way that Lifeway would carry rosaries - but they would surely carry literature that was critical of rosaries.

I don't shop at Lifeway and doubt that I will.

A

angellous_evangellous

A company has a right to pull anything that supports what they disagree with.

But this is particularly misogynistic.

If they were withdrawing their money from a children's hospital because it treated kids who were GLBT, that should draw our ire.

They certainly have a right to do what they want - but we have a right to berate them for it relentlessly for it.

*shakes fist at sky*

A

angellous_evangellous

I can't stand Lifeway stores myself. Lots of useless pablum. Christianity Lite - Six Flags Over Jesus - whatever you want to call it. I hate to say this, and I hope I don't offend anyone, but they're much too Southern Baptist for my taste.

Lifeway is the publishing arm of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Hrm, this wouldn't have been on my radar, since I've never been inside a Lifeway. They've just replaced all the "Northwestern Bookstore" franchises here, and I haven't been in one of those in a decade, either.

From what I've seen, anything (therapist, bookstore, any service) that's marketed with the word "Christian" in it, is actually very specifically targeted to the conservative Baptist-ish demographic, which is the demo more likely to seek out something labeled as Christian.

A

angellous_evangellous

Hrm, this wouldn't have been on my radar, since I've never been inside a Lifeway. They've just replaced all the "Northwestern Bookstore" franchises here, and I haven't been in one of those in a decade, either.

From what I've seen, anything (therapist, bookstore, any service) that's marketed with the word "Christian" in it, is actually very specifically targeted to the conservative Baptist-ish demographic, which is the demo more likely to seek out something labeled as Christian.

That is particularly sinister.

I wanted to add that there are more "liberal" Christian bookstores. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the bookstore that supplies my school's books, but it's a national chain. There are a lot of Catholic stores / ministerial supply outlets where priests and pastors buy their robes (etc).

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
That is particularly sinister.

I wanted to add that there are more "liberal" Christian bookstores. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the bookstore that supplies my school's books, but it's a national chain. There are a lot of Catholic stores / ministerial supply outlets where priests and pastors buy their robes (etc).

What's funny is I only recently realized that Christian marketing was so narrowly defined as that particular demographic. For my entire childhood to early 20s, I was completely unaware of liberal Christians. To me, Christianity was synonymous with a long list of specific political, religious, and behavioral views, and exceptions to those views meant someone wasn't really a Christian.

jasonwill2

Much ado about nothing.

This is nothing more than self-righteous back slapping at the cost of women's health.

Way to go, Lifeway.

+1

I plan to boycott the store.

I was already boycotting it, though I never shopped there, so...

On the contrary, I assume that most Christians would be horrified at the commercialization of Christianity's faith and practices.

I would think that the majority of Christians have the good sense to avoid establishments of this nature.

I am horrified at any commercialization of any faith.

Sorry, but I think it's unfair to insult the intelligence of those who choose to walk into a Christian store, to purchase items focused on Christian study and lifestyle.

Where should one go?

To a church? What do you really need other than a Bible that you can buy at any book store and some Christians to talk to about it? Though this is coming from an ex-fundamentalist Christian, so. heh. I do not know much about liberal Christians or a terrible amount about Catholics to otherwise know if this may not be the case.

What's funny is I only recently realized that Christian marketing was so narrowly defined as that particular demographic. For my entire childhood to early 20s, I was completely unaware of liberal Christians. To me, Christianity was synonymous with a long list of specific political, religious, and behavioral views, and exceptions to those views meant someone wasn't really a Christian.

Christians are an odd bunch at times; sometimes incorporating national customs or values as being part of their faith, when in all reality Jesus would of been against a number of those customs. The one that comes to mind is the Pentecostal "school" I used to go to where the custom of dress and hair was taken more seriously then faith. It was kind of like the Pharisees. I take that back, IT WAS JUST LIKE THAT.

Though we did talk about Christian "values", specifically every other chapel mentioned homosexuality. Our pastor even compared the struggle of the acceptance of homosexuality to slavery, as if we as a generation needed to say "no" to homosexuality just as people said "no" to slavery, as if they were on the same level of moral disgust!

And no one at the school was even gay! When I think back it was a mix of 50's style americanism mixed with Pentecostals. At least the Fundamentals I knew like my dad and his church didn't do the Pharisee crap and actually cared about being kind and forgiving, even to the homosexuals. Not that I condone either position, but I will take a Christian pitying a gay over a Christian hating a gay any day.

Sorry to go off topic some there, but I think that there is a certain amount of this Pharisee attitude I just described going into the decision here to remove the Bibles. I take that back, IT IS JUST LIKE THAT. It's only on a different issue. Instead of dress, hair, and homosexuality, this is on mere association.

They were "guilty by association" I guess; one of the services planned parenthood does offer is helping people decide with abortions, but they offer a crap-ton of other services as well for people wanting to start families, hence "planned parenthood". It's in their name lol.

But all the money was going to breast cancer services, NONE OF IT EVEN WENT TO PLANNED PARENTHOOD, which makes this even more hypocritical. How can they call themselves "pro-life" but take away money that will do just that, save lives?

I am pro-life myself, which goes from condemning elective abortions to help for suicidal people to anything that can save human lives, not just an unborn child. I do not get how one can truly be "pro-life" yet stop donating money that WILL save lives.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It was the bookstores right to pull that bible, and it is in other people's rights not to shop at the store, too. I don't agree or disagree with what they did, as I don't know the entire story- but it seems to me that they are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Just my view.

pwfaith

That's probably b/c the actual company name is "LifeWay Christian Resources of the Southern Baptist Convention" :) We use to have a Baptist bookstore here when I was growing up. I was surprised when I moved back and it was gone, come to find out Lifeway bought it out basically. It was disappointing to me since the previous one was so "homey" so to speak. I don't know why, I just enjoyed going in there. Lifeway is too business like I guess. I prefer Sign of the Fish stores if I can still find them. They don't seem as commercialized. That said Lifeway doesn't bother me. If I'm looking for something specific, religious in nature, and I'm over that way I'll stop in.

I don't get the difference in ordering a Christian CD, book, toy, whatever from Amazon, getting it from Walmart or buying it from Lifeway either though. I just don't see the view that selling anything "Christian" in nature is automatically commercializing the faith. Are some things? Sure. It happens, but I disagree that everything is.

A

angellous_evangellous

It was the bookstores right to pull that bible, and it is in other people's rights not to shop at the store, too. I don't agree or disagree with what they did, as I don't know the entire story- but it seems to me that they are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Just my view.

The thing is - it's not a very cute baby.:cover: