• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Evolutionist:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
we've totally derailed from OP... that there isn't anything preventing Christians from accepting the theory of Evolution as fact and still having faith in God and Jesus.
Seeing Genesis as allegory does not stop faith.

wa:do

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
In fact, if you think the Bible has to be literally true as a science book to have faith in God, you're on your way to atheism, because it doesn't take long to realize that it isn't. The sun can't stop in the sky, there isn't anywhere on earth to go and see the whole earth spread out flat before you, the sky is not a firmament, the stars are not stuck in it as signs, rain is not caused by opening holes in a firmament, bats are not birds, there are no four legged insects, you can't cure leprosy by dipping one bird in the blood of another, showing a cow a spotted stick will not cause it to give birth to a spotted calf, etc. etc. etc.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
In fact, if you think the Bible has to be literally true as a science book to have faith in God, you're on your way to atheism, because it doesn't take long to realize that it isn't. The sun can't stop in the sky, there isn't anywhere on earth to go and see the whole earth spread out flat before you, the sky is not a firmament, the stars are not stuck in it as signs, rain is not caused by opening holes in a firmament, bats are not birds, there are no four legged insects, you can't cure leprosy by dipping one bird in the blood of another, showing a cow a spotted stick will not cause it to give birth to a spotted calf, etc. etc. etc.

:clap

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
So we answered all of Heneni's questions, but when it came time for Heneni to answer our questions, suddenly she's nowhere to be seen. Why do you suppose that is?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
So we answered all of Heneni's questions, but when it came time for Heneni to answer our questions, suddenly she's nowhere to be seen. Why do you suppose that is?
I would like to think she is taking some time to think about some of the things in this thread. But I am an optimist.

challupa

fantôme profane;1400380 said:
I would like to think she is taking some time to think about some of the things in this thread. But I am an optimist.
Or she has started her own thread and banned all evolutionists from participating....

Bishadi

You can be a Christian and believe in evolution.
is that where the term 'good christian' came from?

In fact, most pure creationists are dimwitted when I debate them and show how it is impossible to have no evolution. Even the smallest form. God created creatures, and they evolved over time.
almost like words and knowledge; over time 'it' evolves... (based on environmental conditions)

what folk may wish to observe is nothing is taken from GOD by defining knowledge using the evolutionary progression...... all that ever is reduced, is the power of the complacent interpretations

so in reality to observe truth, then the gifts from god (evolution of knowledge) can stand up against the secular ideals of religious interpretations

equality is vindicated by knowledge

I DO NOT believe that "earth is 6000 yrs old" crap due to the evidence in radiometric dating. I have studied evolutionary science, and radiometric systeming, along with ancient Greek, Latin, and Coptic manuscripts for the bible. I have also studied in the areas of historical and theological backgrounds of the bible.

a 'good christian' ................. perhaps :clap

can be the
'Christian Evolutionist'

look up Roger Bacon........... for another good example of the term

chaffdog

Good man.

Does anyone else dislike the word "evolutionist"?

Yes. It seems to imply a minority group with one set belief, which is not the case. Evolution is the current scientific theory for the progression of life and most of modern biology is based on it, surely those who believe this theory is correct don't need to be clumped together under as a group of radicals. The term should be something along the lines of 'follower of current scientific thinking".

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes. It seems to imply a minority group with one set belief, which is not the case. Evolution is the current scientific theory for the progression of life and most of modern biology is based on it, surely those who believe this theory is correct don't need to be clumped together under as a group of radicals. The term should be something along the lines of 'follower of current scientific thinking".
Or "biologist". ;)

"Evolutionist" bothers me as well, though I've heard experts I respect use it.

chaffdog

wasn't there a papal bull acknowledging evolution and saying that the Catholic Church could no longer deny the validity of this theory? No, turns out it was in a book:
www. signonsandiego. com/news/world/20070411-0300-pope-evolution-.html

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Running off to a forum where we can't post and posting this:
Heneni said:
No...it doesnt look like it. Because whatever evolutionists say...they can never answer anything directly. Its always a kind of run around. Never a straight answer.
is mean-spirited and dishonest. I guess everything they said about you is true, Heneni, you're not really open to the evidence, or you would still be here. Another creationist disappoints me.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
So Heneni just left here and went to another internet group and is now posting as if none of us had ever said anything to her?

I can't count the number of times I've seen creationists do this. They would make all sorts of demands like, "Where are the transitional fossils", and after they were shown multitudes of them, rather than incorporate this data into their thinking they would just bail, go to another internet group, and demand of the people there "Where are the transitional fossils".

People like that are most likely terrified. They've become convinced that if evolution and common descent is true then their religious beliefs are garbage. Given the obvious importance their religious beliefs are to who they are as a person, it's hardly surprising to see such people engage in what seems like extremely delusional behaviors.

And BTW, "evolutionist" is about as relevant a term as "combustionist" or "erosionist".

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
wasn't there a papal bull acknowledging evolution and saying that the Catholic Church could no longer deny the validity of this theory? No, turns out it was in a book:
The Catholic Church's position is that they're only declaring with certainty that humanity arose from one individual man and one individual woman and that apart from this, they won't take any position on the scientific questions of the history of life.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
So Heneni just left here and went to another internet group and is now posting as if none of us had ever said anything to her?

I can't count the number of times I've seen creationists do this. They would make all sorts of demands like, "Where are the transitional fossils", and after they were shown multitudes of them, rather than incorporate this data into their thinking they would just bail, go to another internet group, and demand of the people there "Where are the transitional fossils".

People like that are most likely terrified. They've become convinced that if evolution and common descent is true then their religious beliefs are garbage. Given the obvious importance their religious beliefs are to who they are as a person, it's hardly surprising to see such people engage in what seems like extremely delusional behaviors.

And BTW, "evolutionist" is about as relevant a term as "combustionist" or "erosionist".

Heneni has started a thread in the Christians only area, complaining that "evolutionists" don't have any answers, and ensuring by retreating to that forum that we're not able to do so. It's one of the most dishonest and cowardly stunts I've seen even a creationist pull.

Heneni has started a thread in the Christians only area, complaining that "evolutionists" don't have any answers, and ensuring by retreating to that forum that we're not able to do so. It's one of the most dishonest and cowardly stunts I've seen even a creationist pull.
Muah ha ha ha ha !!!!! Just turn your religion temporarily to Christian.:D

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I wonder how this experiment would change if professional scientists who had expressed faith were used instead of undergrads.

Many of the undergrads I know... lets just say they work for free (or nearly so), but they are still in need of a lot of personal development. And that is most of what being an undergrad is about, that growth and development.

wa:do