• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian steals atheists' sign.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
Im just really curious about this..because I've never seen a Nativity with a sign saying we are all going to hell if we dont bow down to Jesus..

If that is true..I would be offended as well..
*Humbly takes down nativity scene in the house described by Dallas*

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
*Humbly takes down nativity scene in the house described by Dallas*

Thank you ..I appreciate you having respect for me..I personally dont want my children being threatened with hell if they dont 'bow down" to Jesus.

Love

Dallas

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
"the guy to the left of me is retarded".

How is that different from "the guy to the left of me is going to hell"? Also, there's a thing called free speech. Personally, I don't think either of those should be on public property.

this is what happens without Christianity, you become stupid and hypocritical.
So that's why the world's leading scientists are biblical literalists. Oh, wait.

The man who stole the sign was just doing what is right.
So God made a mistake when he said "thou shall not steal."? Who's being the hypocrite here?

Luminous

non-existential luminary
:D: Christian's celebration of what they think is the birth of Jesus of Nazareth is attacking the celebration of the Winter Solstice.

Last edited:

Idiolatry

Antagonist
The sign should not be allowed there to begin with. Washington law which allows for the "display of religion" doesn't allow for the "display of refutation of religion". If Atheists have some religious thing they want to display that's fine, but they can't put up a sign saying "the guy to the left of me is retarded".
Isn't Atheism basically the belief that there is no God/Heaven/Hell/etc? And isn't that basically what the sign said? I'd say that's a "Display of religion".
Washington state is just idiotic, this is what happens without Christianity, you become stupid and hypocritical. The man who stole the sign was just doing what is right.
Doesn't Christianity teach not to hypocritically judge? You say it's not okay for Atheists to pronounce their beliefs, but it's okay for Christians. Sounds a bit like a hypocrisy to me. Not to mention what Father Heathen stated about stealing.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
:D: Well, i believe burning that mind altering book is 'right'. I'm sure True God would agree.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Yeah, Atheists are being so anti-religious that they turn themselves to the things which they fight.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
I guess DallasApple would rather have atheists worshiping the birth of Darwin or Dawkins or something. Yeah, that'll happen. Would it?

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
The sign should not be allowed there to begin with. Washington law which allows for the "display of religion" doesn't allow for the "display of refutation of religion". If Atheists have some religious thing they want to display that's fine, but they can't put up a sign saying "the guy to the left of me is retarded".

Washington state is just idiotic, this is what happens without Christianity, you become stupid and hypocritical. The man who stole the sign was just doing what is right.

I think a scene that promotes a virgin birth is a pretty strong refutation of science. Why the double standard?

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
The FFRF sign was put up in order to stir up controversy, and I do not personally think it was a good tactic. The tactic worked in the sense that it got Governor Gregoire into trouble with her constituents. I think she deserved what she got. It was her decision to pursue the policy of allowing religious advertisements on government property. That is a clear violation of the First Amendment Establish Clause, which bars the government from promoting or hindering religious activities. To allow all religious opinions in the Capitol Rotunda is to open up a quagmire of competition between groups that want to use tax-supported institutions to endorse their viewpoints. It is not the role of government to get involved in matters of religious conscience.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Hmmm. If some atheist threw a cross or baby Jesus in a ditch, I wonder how much publicity and outrage that would generate?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think the worst aspect of the sign is that it lacks a sense of humour. I think a sign saying "Remember the reason for the season! Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!" would have been much more effective. :D

Still, I don't think that a government institution is the proper place for a religious display... even a whole whack of 'em. I think that government should be secular, period.

Elessar

I said it before, I'll say it again:

Isn't it pure assumption that a Christian stole it? I mean, seriously, if no one knows who stole it, then you don't very well know it's a Christian protesting its message, do you? It could just be a bunch of teenage hooligans.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Isn't it pure assumption that a Christian stole it? I mean, seriously, if no one knows who stole it, then you don't very well know it's a Christian protesting its message, do you? It could just be a bunch of teenage hooligans.

Would you wager on it?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing

Do not interrupt this thread with facts!

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist

Why would the hooligans pass up the chance to trash the nativity scene or the menorah? You are right that it is technically unproven who stole the sign and for what reason. But the most reasonable assumption is that it was stolen by a misguided person who did not like the anti-religious message on it.