• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian steals atheists' sign.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
I think the worst aspect of the sign is that it lacks a sense of humour. I think a sign saying "Remember the reason for the season! Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!" would have been much more effective. :D

I agree. As an atheist, I hate the message that the sign sends to others about atheists. I applaud the general goal of FFRF in getting government to stop meddling in affairs of religious conscience, but I would much rather send a less offensive message to Christians and others during the holiday season.

Still, I don't think that a government institution is the proper place for a religious display... even a whole whack of 'em. I think that government should be secular, period.

Again, I agree. The tactic here was to bring pressure on Governor Gregoire for her poor decision to allow religious advertisements in the Capitol Rotunda at all. That tactic worked. Her decision to open up the Rotunda to all religious points of view angered a lot of her constituents, both religious and non-religious. It was an object lesson directed at her, and she may have gotten it after all the bad publicity. But the method of getting her attention also made people angry at atheists and confirmed their prejudices against atheism. That is what I did not like about the tactic.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Sure, there is no definite proof that it was Christians, but clearly it's the most obvious and logical assumption. I mean who the hell do you think would the most likely to be upset by the sign and the most likely to remove it? Let's be real here.

Elessar

It's called innocence until guilt proven. I was pretty sure it was the cornerstone of our Justice System, but I guess the philosophy of the Most Exalted Prince George Walker Bush now reigns in our nation.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
It's called innocence until guilt proven. I was pretty sure it was the cornerstone of our Justice System, but I guess the philosophy of the Most Exalted Prince George Walker Bush now reigns in our nation.

Don't be so melodramatic, Elessar. No one has been accused of the crime. The most reasonable assumption is that a Christian did it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's called innocence until guilt proven.

Yes, in the court of law. But we're not a court of law, are we? What do you find so offensive about rational speculation? Is it so unreasonable to assume that a sign would be stolen by the very people who are upset by it and want it removed? Does it not make sense? If you had to make a high stakes wager on it, who would you guess?

Elessar

Don't be so melodramatic, Elessar. No one has been accused of the crime. The most reasonable assumption is that a Christian did it.

I beg to differ. "Christian steals atheists' sign." sounds like an accusation that someone of the Christian faith committed a theft, possibly a felony, at least a misdemeanor, and that it was, at the very least, condoned, if not outright encouraged or ordered, by the Church.
Maybe I'm a bit oversensitive over blame, but I think that to blame any group of people in general for a specific crime, unless there is undeniable evidence that they committed it, is wrong. False accusations of crimes, such as blood libel, have had tens of millions of Jews removed from their homes and property, exiled, or, worst, murdered en masse.

To say "Christian steals atheists' sign", and thus blame Christianity for the crime of one of its members, is like saying "Atheist murders eighteen million people." The latter statement is true, without question. But saying it implies that all atheists approve, or that all atheists are complicit. It's even worse when the statement itself is in question, and is mere supposition, no matter how logical or rational.

lunamoth

Will to love
Well, it could have been the FF group itself, trying to frame Christians.

Or the Lack of Humor police.

Or the Grinch.

It might have been the person who 'found' the sign in the ditch. In crime novels the one who finds the body is usually the guilty party.

It's good to know that a nativity scene screams "You are going to hell!" to non-believers. My daughters have found that their nativity scenes are severely lacking in drama and usually have to resort to having the angel play the part of the villain trying to take over the world.

:run:

Last edited:
Instead of talking about potential Christians stealing signs, let's talk about known Atheists who are caught for stealing Nativity Scenes? That's in the News too...

kai

ragamuffin
thieves the lot of em, there just thieves! stealing peoples signs and nativity scenes, i know who it is its those-------teenagers.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Instead of talking about potential Christians stealing signs, let's talk about known Atheists who are caught for stealing Nativity Scenes? That's in the News too...

Why did you capitalize nativity scenes?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I said it before, I'll say it again:

Isn't it pure assumption that a Christian stole it? I mean, seriously, if no one knows who stole it, then you don't very well know it's a Christian protesting its message, do you? It could just be a bunch of teenage hooligans.
Good point. Should be, "speculation that Christian took sign." Because, after all, some angry Hindu might be responsible.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
:sarcastic: oh, those evil little athiests and their anti-religious ways. boo hoo hoo hoo hoo.

---------Headline: Christians' National Holiday? (circa 400 C.E.)
Christians from all over the Roman Empire are stepping up their efforts this year to make a bigger antagonistic splash on the holiday scene. From Rome to Byzentium, hate crimes to not paying taxes, Christians are skewering religions with little respect to the adherents of the religions...
"I am a patriot, and I believe that Christians are free to believe, speak and post whatever they want. This is Rom, and that's their citizen privilage. But to do so with harassment and hatred under the guise of free speech is despicable. An anti-religious poster filled with spite is in no way equal to a religious symbol, such as an idol. Where are the political correctness police when pagan followers are the victims?"...
I'm just making fun of irony, isall.

Last edited:

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Sorry, I forgot that everyone who disagrees with you two is evil and ignorant. Ill try to remember next time.;)

Bad Chuck for expressing your opinion, bad!

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Chuck Norris doesn't believe in evolution and hates gays. I dismiss him offhandedly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again

Last I recall, no one has been charged with this offense by anyone here.

I think there should be a national campaign to have "No God Exists" next to every religious (public) display in the country.

Last edited: