• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity And Me

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Shouldn't religion be taken seriously?
Can you be religious and not spiritual?
Can you be spiritual and not religious?
What's the benefits of being spiritual?
1) Yes, but not overly seriously. Religion, like our souls, should be held gently.
2) Yes.
3) No, with an explanation. Spiritual people always engage in some sort of religious action. Most spiritual people are deeply engaged with other spiritual people, and that constitutes religion.
Being spiritual means that you're in touch with yourself and truly in touch with the world around you.

connermt

1) Well if you don't mind, I can try. :)

2) Perhaps you hope to unshackle others from their religion with your logic and reasoning skills?

3) Perhaps you hope to be shackled by religion again?

1) Of course you're free to try whatever you wish.
2) If it works for them, great!
3) I'm open to all but religions from the christian cult

connermt

Ah, so you've exchanged shackling for heckling.

eh,...congrats?

Just like the church of old....'the world isn't round, it's flat - morons; the sun revolves around the earth - haha idiots'
But hey, if it makes you feel better by attacking me, feel free! I'm glad I could help you feel better about yourself.

Last edited:

connermt

1) Yes, but not overly seriously. Religion, like our souls, should be held gently.
2) Yes.
3) No, with an explanation. Spiritual people always engage in some sort of religious action. Most spiritual people are deeply engaged with other spiritual people, and that constitutes religion.
Being spiritual means that you're in touch with yourself and truly in touch with the world around you.

I'm not sure about #3. I know a few people that don't seem to engage in any religious act. At least no obvious one.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I'm not sure about #3. I know a few people that don't seem to engage in any religious act. At least no obvious one.
Operative word here is "obvious." Maybe you just don't know enough about their spiritual disposition to recognize a religious act when you see one.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Just like the church of old....'the world isn't round, it's flat - morons; the sun revolves around the earth - haha idiots'
But hey, if it makes you feel better by attacking me, feel free! I'm glad I could help you feel better about yourself.

You can't help but do that. :)

For decades I’ve been, as I see it now, shackled by christianity. Over the last decade I’ve been able to remove those shackles and life has been much better. Sure there are bad times, however, I never had to go to a book (that was written by men and edited by other men) as a source of strength. I’ve been able to rely on myself more, and an invisible deity that I’ve never seen less. I have been able to experience more of life (both good and bad) now that I’m not wearing the yoke of said religion. Things throughout history are more clear to me now than while I was enslaved. I have gained new friends, bonded better with my family and been able to accept myself more now. I don’t have to worry about an afterlife, ensuring I understand and follow the bible correctly. I don’t feel the need to be a light to my fellow man like I did before, but I do so when I want to. I don’t have to be on guard against evil nor run from it. I don’t have the need to have faith in any deity.
So what have I done wrong? This attitude flies in the face of many believers, so surely I’m doing something wrong, right? Yet my life is proportionally better than ever. So what am I doing wrong?
Discuss?

Before I answer may I ask what denomination or form of Christianity were you following, many of the modern cults call themselves christians.

connermt

Before I answer may I ask what denomination or form of Christianity were you following, many of the modern cults call themselves christians.

I was part of a few protestant branches: baptist, nazarene, methodist, pentacostal - even mormonims for a short time.
I have a little bit of RCC experience, but not a lot.

A

angellous_evangellous

Shouldn't religion be taken seriously?
Can you be religious and not spiritual?
Can you be spiritual and not religious?
What's the benefits of being spiritual?

See what I mean?

Muffled

Jesus in me
For decades I’ve been, as I see it now, shackled by christianity. Over the last decade I’ve been able to remove those shackles and life has been much better. Sure there are bad times, however, I never had to go to a book (that was written by men and edited by other men) as a source of strength. I’ve been able to rely on myself more, and an invisible deity that I’ve never seen less. I have been able to experience more of life (both good and bad) now that I’m not wearing the yoke of said religion. Things throughout history are more clear to me now than while I was enslaved. I have gained new friends, bonded better with my family and been able to accept myself more now. I don’t have to worry about an afterlife, ensuring I understand and follow the bible correctly. I don’t feel the need to be a light to my fellow man like I did before, but I do so when I want to. I don’t have to be on guard against evil nor run from it. I don’t have the need to have faith in any deity.
So what have I done wrong? This attitude flies in the face of many believers, so surely I’m doing something wrong, right? Yet my life is proportionally better than ever. So what am I doing wrong?
Discuss?

Eve effectively did that when she ate from the tree of the knowledge of god and evil. Before she was shackled by only being able to do good but afterwards she was free to do evil. Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your reward.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Discuss?
Is there an actual point this other then belittlement?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Discuss?

answer: It's all subjective :p

connermt

Eve effectively did that when she ate from the tree of the knowledge of god and evil. Before she was shackled by only being able to do good but afterwards she was free to do evil. Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your reward.
It's amazing how people resort to this negativity when they can't answer the question. Very telling...

connermt

Is there an actual point this other then belittlement?
Another one who can't answer the question.
Those who are defensive must be feeding a need to protect something they think needs protecting (lack of faith).
Last chance to answer the question.