• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity too Political?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Has Christianity become too politicalized? Are political issues such as gay marriage, abortion, teenage pregnancy, our policy in Iraq, and such crowding out basic spirituality in many churches? Is Christianity focusing too much on trying to change society and too little on traditional concerns, such as salvation? Or has Christianity always been a politcalized religion and this is nothing new? What do you think?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I will be as blunt as I can be Sunstone. Part of the mission of the Church is to transform societies, not societies change the Church. This will be [and has been] an ongoing battle.
As a side note, anytime you get people together you have politics. Religious and non-religious alike.

~Victor

After its creation Christianity spread as a pure form of compassion, until the eastern Roman empire got a hold of it. From Constantinople on Christianity has been used as a means of political control. Used to control riots and unite the people by making it a state religion in the eastern Roman empire. Used in the middle ages to control serfs, by saying that Jesus was humble and not allowing the bible to be translated into "hethen languages". Its a religion thats soul purpose for leaders is to control the people and unite them in what ever there quest.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Victor said:
I will be as blunt as I can be Sunstone. Part of the mission of the Church is to transform societies, not societies change the Church. This will be [and has been] an ongoing battle.
As a side note, anytime you get people together you have politics. Religious and non-religious alike.

~Victor
Yes, but does the social/political mission of the church distract from it's spiritual mission? Or are the two inherently compatible?

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
gay marriage, abortion, teenage pregnancy,
These are not political issues, they are religous issues that politicians use to try to distract the public from their actuall policies (or lack thereof).

Quiddity

Sunstone said:
Yes, but does the social/political mission of the church distract from it's spiritual mission? Or are the two inherently compatible?
I don't think they are. But rather social issues are digging deeper into Church positions and making them political so they can have their rights. I don't think Church and government should mix. But unfortunately it does because of the demands of the people.

~Victor

Quiddity

ALifetimeToWaitFor... said:
After its creation Christianity spread as a pure form of compassion, until the eastern Roman empire got a hold of it.
Rome wasn't considered the "east". Small correction.

From Constantinople on Christianity has been used as a means of political control. Used to control riots and unite the people by making it a state religion in the eastern Roman empire.

I think this is an over exaggeration. Politics, emperors, etc. were certainly involved in Church matters. But many times Bishops were off doing there own thing without any interference from local jurisdictions or politics.

Used in the middle ages to control serfs, by saying that Jesus was humble and not allowing the bible to be translated into "hethen languages".
We still don't allow it. What are you talking about?

Its a religion thats soul purpose for leaders is to control the people and unite them in what ever there quest.
I'm a zombie. Careful, I might bite..:rolleyes:

~Victor

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Victor said:
I don't think they are. But rather social issues are digging deeper into Church positions and making them political so they can have their rights. I don't think Church and government should mix. But unfortunately it does because of the demands of the people.

~Victor
No, government and religon mix when the majority feel they can decide what's best for everyone else. Abortion and gay-marrige, while a "sin" in the eyes of a Christian, may not hold the same taboos for an agnostic or atheist. When the govenment gets involved with trying to legislate morality and taste then someones being discriminated against.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In this thread, I am primarily interested in your thoughts about whether politics and spirituality mix. Hopefully we can stay on this topic.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Rome wasn't considered the "east". Small correction.
He said Eastern Roman Empire, not Rome. The capital of the Eastern Roman Empire was Byzantium (name later changed to Constantinople) which is the modern day city of Istanbul. Please know your history before correcting people.

Quiddity

spacemonkey said:
He said Eastern Roman Empire, not Rome. The capital of the Eastern Roman Empire was Byzantium (name later changed to Constantinople) which is the modern day city of Istanbul. Please know your history before correcting people.
It doesnt matter. It wasn't called "Eastern Roman Empire". Byzantium Empire will do. Rome is in the West and it would be odd for them to add the word "Rome" to it when it's in the west.

~Victor

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So, now that we've settled on the nomiclature of the Roman Empire, does anyone have any opinions on whether politics and spirituality are compatible?

Quiddity

Sunstone said:
So, now that we've settled on the nomiclature of the Roman Empire, does anyone have any opinions on whether politics and spirituality are compatible?
I thought I noted that, but I guess I wasn't clear enough. Yes they can be compatible. But they can also be uncompatible. It all depends where the social wave is moving.

~Victor

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Let me rephrase the OP: Is the current involvement of Christians in politics threatenning to Christian spirituality?

Pah

Uber all member
Victor said:

~Victor
I don't understand how government is digging into a Church tenent? And I have never understood why the injunction to go and preach is twisted into forming/reforming society. The message has always had media avenues to reach the public (at least in this country) but is not convincing enough to avoid rejection by many in and outside of Christianity. We're not all of one denomination if we even have one.

What some religious groups, in petition to government, is cover a basic weakness in faith, either general or specific, by force of law. Our government, evidenced in the First Amendment, was specifically set up to avoid such coersion.

The question is - why are some religions persistently trying to convert by law those that have rejected the message? I think it is a tacit admission of failure on the part of politico-religious groups.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Victor said:
It doesnt matter. I wasn't called "Eastern Roman Empire". Byzantium Empire will do. Rome is in the West and it would be odd for them to add the word "Rome" to it when it's in the west.

~Victor
It wasn't known as Byzantium until AFTER the fall of the Western Roman Empire, and the Eastern and Western Empires where ruled by TWO SEPARATE EMPERORS for the last two centuries. The ENTIRE empire (both halves) where still the ROMAN empire, in 350 AD (for example) you could be a Roman citizen even if you had never even SEEN the city of Rome. Constantine himself was born in modern day Turkey. In fact Constantinople became known as "New Rome". Please do some research. Here, I'll help...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Roman_Empire
http://www.sullivan-county.com/x/ere.htm
http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/ROME/LATE.HTM

that should get you started...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In saying, "Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's, and to God what is God's", wasn't Jesus seeking a balance between politics and spirituality? Do you think his balancing act works in practice?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
spacemonkey said:
No, it threatens everyone elses rights.
Are you saying that Christian involvement in politics has no influence on Christian spirituality, and instead merely influences the rights that the rest of us have (or have not)?

Sunstone said:
In saying, "Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's, and to God what is God's", wasn't Jesus seeking a balance between politics and spirituality? Do you think his balancing act works in practice?
Hes saying dont be materialistic and political. Let Ceasar take what he wants, but let god have my children. Which by the way is bull. Sorry :)