• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
You really think people from all over the world would spread Christianity and preach things like Jesus coming back and the resurrection of the dead if it weren’t true? Don’t tell me it’s about money because that’s ridiculous. These are pretty far fetched ideas if you ask me. Do you think people would really spread these far-fetched ideas if they weren’t true? Think about it. It’s so obvious. There is truth in it imo. One just has to know how to see it.

Watchmen

Premium Member
You really think people from all over the world would spread Christianity and preach things like Jesus coming back and the resurrection of the dead if it weren’t true? Don’t tell me it’s about money because that’s ridiculous. These are pretty far fetched ideas if you ask me. Do you think people would really spread these far-fetched ideas if they weren’t true? Think about it. It’s so obvious. There is truth in it imo. One just has to know how to see it.
The answer to both your questions is Yes.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
You really think people from all over the world would spread Christianity and preach things like Jesus coming back and the resurrection of the dead if it weren’t true?
Yes
Don’t tell me it’s about money because that’s ridiculous.
Ok, it's not about money.
These are pretty far fetched ideas if you ask me. Do you think people would really spread these far-fetched ideas if they weren’t true?
Absolutely
Think about it. It’s so obvious. There is truth in it imo.
There is truth in it, but it is not THE truth. All the myths have kernels of truth to them. The truth in Christianity's story tends to be one of kindness (at least by 2000 year old standards).

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
Yes

Absolutely

There is truth in it, but it is not THE truth. All the myths have kernels of truth to them. The truth in Christianity's story tends to be one of kindness (at least by 2000 year old standards).
It’s cool you don’t see it

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I'd correct just one phrase... "if it weren’t true" to become "if they believed it weren't true"

Believedis the magic word that makes it make as much sense as any other religion.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
Yes

Absolutely

Unfortunately, you totally don’t get what I’m saying, which is cool

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ

All kinds of people believe all kinds of things. Some people even quit their jobs and run up credit cards because they are absolutely certain the end times will be on a specific date like what happened on May 21 2011 when the prediction by herald camping led to the largest advertisement campaign in the history of humankind

What you are appealing to is argumentum ad populum. It's a logical fallacy. It's bad reasoning. Just because lots of people believe something doesn't make that thing true

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You really think people from all over the world would spread Christianity and preach things like Jesus coming back and the resurrection of the dead if it weren’t true?
I'm with the consensus. Yes, I believe that the story is untrue at least regarding virgin birth, performing miracles, and resurrection, and if that didn't happen, why go to that source for answers or life advice?
There is truth in it imo. One just has to know how to see it.
What other book would you say that about besides something technical like an advanced math or science book? How about The Iliad? Does one need special understanding to understand it? I didn't. Nor Catch 22. Nor In Cold Blood. Nor any other non-technical book except perhaps the Christian Bible when I was a Christian. One just had to believe it, and once that happens, he believes it whatever it says.

You're describing confirmation bias. You see what you believe. You believe that the scriptures are of divine provenance, and so you read them as if they are correct and call those beliefs truth.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
All kinds of people believe all kinds of things. Some people even quit their jobs and run up credit cards because they are absolutely certain the end times will be on a specific date like what happened on May 21 2011 when the prediction by herald camping led to the largest advertisement campaign in the history of humankind

What you are appealing to is argumentum ad populum. It's a logical fallacy. It's bad reasoning. Just because lots of people believe something doesn't make that thing true
You’ve missed the point unfortunately.

InChrist

Free4ever
I don’t think so many people would spread the message if Jesus Christ, if it were not true. Especially, the early believers and those in many areas who face(d) severe persecution or death. The first disciples/apostles who knew and saw Jesus personally certainly knew whether the accounts concerning Jesus were true or false. Many suffered imprisonment or death because they knew the truth they were not willing to deny at any cost.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
I'm with the consensus. Yes, I believe that the story is untrue at least regarding virgin birth, performing miracles, and resurrection, and if that didn't happen, why go to that source for answers or life advice?

What other book would you say that about besides something technical like an advanced math or science book? How about The Iliad? Does one need special understanding to understand it? I didn't. Nor Catch 22. Nor In Cold Blood. Nor any other non-technical book except perhaps the Christian Bible when I was a Christian. One just had to believe it, and once that happens, he believes it whatever it says.

You're describing confirmation bias. You see what you believe. You believe that the scriptures are of divine provenance, and so you read them as if they are correct and call those beliefs truth.
Divine? No. Close to the truth? Yes. It’s cool you can’t see the truth in it.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
I don’t think so many people would spread the message if Jesus Christ, if it were not true. Especially, the early believers and those in many areas who face(d) severe persecution or death. The first disciples/apostles who knew and saw Jesus personally certainly knew whether the accounts concerning Jesus were true or false. Many suffered imprisonment or death because they knew the truth they were not willing to deny at any cost.
Good point even though personally I don’t even believe that time actually happened.

Shaul

Premium Member
par
Pretty far-fetched claims to be spreading the world over don’t ya think?
Not really, no. There was a time when Baal worship was spread by people. According to the Christian New Testament the worship of Diana was very popular. In the time of Nebuchadnezzer his religion was spread "throughout the world". Then there were the religions of the ancient Greeks, Romans, Mithra and many, many others. All were popular in their time to various extents and spread enthusiastically by their adherents. Where are they now? All gone. Today we see other proselytizing religions besides Christianity such as Islam. The merit of a religion is not based on the propensity of its adherents in proselytizing. Actually the opposite is probably the case. Truth is self evident and doesn't need salesmen.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
I’m willing to bet that some people who don’t believe that Christianity symbolically supports the truth secretly believe that it does but reject it because it doesn’t speak the real truth.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
par

Not really, no. There was a time when Baal worship was spread by people. According to the Christian New Testament the worship of Diana was very popular. In the time of Nebuchadnezzer his religion was spread "throughout the world". Then there were the religions of the ancient Greeks, Romans, Mithra and many, many others. All were popular in their time to various extents and spread enthusiastically by their adherents. Where are they now? All gone. Today we see other proselytizing religions besides Christianity such as Islam. The merit of a religion is not based on the propensity of its adherents in proselytizing. Actually the opposite is probably the case. Truth is self evident and doesn't need salesmen.
Those are pretty far-fetched claims to be spreading the world over too. Hmm… I wonder, was there some truth to them as well?