• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Explain this please

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Being focus of attention for prayer to something unseen isn't at all the same as being the object of prayer.
Exactly. And the object of prayer for pagan religions is not the Idol. It is the god. The Idol is not the god.

The difference is that the saint isn't prayed to.
For all functions the saint is prayed to. Asking for them to intercede on your behalf is the same as asking them to do anything else. You are praying to the saint so that they will put in a good word for you to god. A "hail mary" isn't in any way praying to mary? Why would it be "Hail Mary"? Christianity has had a few thousand years of telling itself and everyone else that it is highly unique in its practices when investigation into it finds that it really is not.

raph

In my believe praying to Statues just has no effect and therefore it isnt good for us. I dont want to hurt your feelings, just saying what I understand from my monotheistic religion.
Maybe there are some Gods that want you to pray to them in front of a statue. I have no knowledge about that. Seems reasonable to pray to them, but
these being can have 2 forms:
1. created:
If it is created, it doesnt mean that it cant help you, but it implies that there is a creator of that being that is stronger. If we go up in the ladder of creation, we come to the creator who has created existence itself. This one therefore has the most power. So I find it better to pray to the most mighty God who is not created.
2. Uncreated unborn God
To pray to the almighty creator should have the most effect, but statues are not needed to reach him because of his might and they even hinder you from reaching him. Because when you pray to an image, even in your head, how can you say that you pray to the one who doesnt have an image, he who created all the images?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As items of worship and veneration go, I just have to throw this out there (no pun intended :D)...

HolyHandGrenade_zpsb13594ca.jpg

Sapiens

Polymathematician
When most Christians see or hear about me having statues of my God and Goddesses, they start preaching about the golden calf and that I am dumb to worship statues. I explain that I do not worship the statues and that the statues represent the Deities that I do worship. They act like this makes no sense to them. At the same time, these same Christians will kneel and pray in front of a crucifix. To them a crucifix can represent Jesus without them actually worshiping the crucifix, but if a statue or figure is representative of my Gods and/or Goddesses they don't see how this same "symbolism" they they use holds true. Can you please explain why you think this way?
The whole construct is a bit bizarre. Why would alleged monotheists be concerned about other gods stealing their god's thunder?