• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians Only (not really): What do you think about that Jewish text?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It is not at all uncommon: Someone poses a question about Jewish text in a Christian only forum. Is it simply ignorance? Thoughtlessness? What?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I've noticed some posters answering questions in different DIR's, also. Pertaining to what you've presented specifically, however, yes, it might not produce the accurate answer to someones question. On the other hand, I've noticed questions posted in the Judaism DIR that I think would be better served either both in Christain and Judaism DIR's, or in the General Discussion forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
I think it is more to do with the American Fundamentalist culture that desire to take the book of Genesis for literal meaning , which forgive me if I'm wrong, is not found as much in Judaism

Bob Dixon

>implying
I imagine they are mostly just interested in a Christian perspective on the text.

This, too, but also ignorance and thoughtlessness and stuff, I guess.
The thing is, most Christians aren't Jews, but because it's in our canon they think that they have the right to interpret it better than anyone else, including the people it was actually revealed to. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I imagine they are mostly just interested in a Christian perspective on the text.
The thread which provoked this one was asking a question about a Biblical story (Hebrew Bible), so in this case I don't think that a Christian perspective was necessarily sought after, especially since I had a similar reaction to that of Jay. I remember the story in question vividly, and I was wondering why it was posted in the Christianity DIR, when it could have been posted in a more general DIR, or the Judaism DIR just the same.

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
The thing is, most Christians aren't Jews, but because it's in our canon they think that they have the right to interpret it better than anyone else, including the people it was actually revealed to. Yeah, I don't get it either.
Are you saying Christians don't have a right to interpret our own canon?

Bob Dixon

>implying
Are you saying Christians don't have a right to interpret our own canon?

Definitely not what I said! I'm sorry if you thought that I meant such a thing!
We do have a right to interpret our own canon, but it's things like interpolation of later non-Judaic Christian doctrines (that aren't there) into the actual Jewish text that bother me. Like, I once read an interpretation that said that the Song of Solomon was referring, symbolically, to Jesus. Of course, I found this grossly inappropriate, so it's stuff like this I'm trying to avoid.

That's all.

Flankerl

They probably ask these questions in those DIRs because they want to know what the people of that certain DIR think about it.
And as long as its just about religion and not politics i cant really see anything wrong with that.

arthra

Baha'i
I'm thinking that

(1) every dispensation to a degree redefines what went before..

Another concept I think that is important is

(2) the principle that all the Holy Scriptures are the property of humanity..part of the heritage of spiritual knowledge and the wisdom.

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
We do have a right to interpret our own canon, but it's things like interpolation of later non-Judaic Christian doctrines (that aren't there) into the actual Jewish text that bother me. Like, I once read an interpretation that said that the Song of Solomon was referring, symbolically, to Jesus. Of course, I found this grossly inappropriate, so it's stuff like this I'm trying to avoid.

That's all.
How do we know it isn't?
Jesus said He had to fulfill everything the Psalms, the Law and the Prophets said about him and different verse that most Jews at the time didn't consider prophetic were used to show Christ's holiness

However when we read doctirnes we already have into scripture, for example the immortality of the soul which is not found in the Bible, we run the risk of err, but that has little to do with misreading Jewish scripture as it does misreading the Bible, We should read the Jewish scriptures in a way that is consistent with the revelation of the New Testament

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
It is not at all uncommon: Someone poses a question about Jewish text in a Christian only forum. Is it simply ignorance? Thoughtlessness? What?
Considering nonjews took jewish text and claimed they were the only ones who can interpretate it right, are you surprised?

So what's the point?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb

So if a nonjew christians interpretation is worthless compared to the jewish interpretation(considering that is who it was revealed to) then mainstrem christianity is debunked. Not only that, but why would the jewish text be included in the christians canon?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb

That's all.

But the what would hapen to mainstrem christianity?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
How do we know it isn't?
Jesus said He had to fulfill everything the Psalms, the Law and the Prophets said about him and different verse that most Jews at the time didn't consider prophetic were used to show Christ's holiness

However when we read doctirnes we already have into scripture, for example the immortality of the soul which is not found in the Bible, we run the risk of err, but that has little to do with misreading Jewish scripture as it does misreading the Bible, We should read the Jewish scriptures in a way that is consistent with the revelation of the New Testament

Because psalms and songs are just writings. Not prophetic ones, just poetry wnd worship.

Personally, id hope your wrong about songs talking of Jesus. Seems to xxx for talking about someone whose supposed to be pure sinless lamb lol

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
Because psalms and songs are just writings. Not prophetic ones, just poetry wnd worship.

Personally, id hope your wrong about songs talking of Jesus. Seems to xxx for talking about someone whose supposed to be pure sinless lamb lol
I do not believe Christ was prophesied in a physical literal way in Song of Solomon, but I've heard it said the Song represents Christ's love for the Church, which is His Bride

However I find a book like Job can represent Christ just as well as Isaiah and it is not book of "prophesy" neither were the psalms that the gospel writters often quoted from

arthra

Baha'i
I have some trouble with the statement:

"Because psalms and songs are just writings. Not prophetic ones, just poetry wnd worship...."

I don't think you need to be a particular religion to respond to a topic. I think one should be able to post a question...and anybody should be able to give their opinion.