• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians Only (not really): What do you think about that Jewish text?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Christian Churches Have adopted a large part of the Jewish Bible as their own. and renamed it the "old Testament"

It is clear that most use it as a "profound" and "Truthful" source from Creation up to the Birth of Christ.
They interpret much of it as a "Foreteller" and "Proof" of events leading up to and including the birth and life of Jesus.

Of Course A Jew can see that it is no such thing, as can many free thinking Christians.
However this view and resulting interpretations, of the Old Testament, are unlikely to change any time soon, as it has been ingrained in Christian Dogma for over 2000 years.

I sympathise with the Jewish view and concerns, My own concern is with the Perpetuation of the error.
Christians can Learn a great deal from the Old Testament, in terms of Context, worship of God, and Teachings. That value is not enhanced by Taking it all literally, or distorting the prophetic elements so that they coincide with Christian dogma.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Of Course A Jew can see that it is no such thing, as can many free thinking Christians.
However this view and resulting interpretations, of the Old Testament, are unlikely to change any time soon, as it has been ingrained in Christian Dogma for over 2000 years.
That is how I see it. as a Jewish person I try to keep the Hebrew Bible in the context I know, but Christian theology has roots now in western civilization, on the historical level, and of course on a cultural level. the Psalms have been read for centuries, and that the Bible (or Old Testament as it were) has been instrumental in the cultural and historical background of the west, it is part of the culture and has been for centuries.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Just to be clear: there was nothing in the OP that suggested or was intended to suggest that Christians have no right to interpret Jewish text. Nor do I believe that being Christian precludes the possibility of having meaningful insights about the text or of making significant contributions to relevant scholarship.

The OP was not about who was invited to the table but, rather, who was (perhaps thoughtlessly) excluded from it.
I agree, that is how I understood it. the Bible is a hallmark of western civilization as a whole, the Jewish and the Christian.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I think it happens primarily because of influence and ignorance.

It probably happens most often because Christians, out ofthe religiois groups, have the greatest influence on society and government, at least in the west. And people want to know how they see things because of it. It's the viewpoint that they are going to come into contact with most often, and it will be the one that has the greatest effect on their outlook.

And I say ignorance because I think that most people assume that Christians and Jews understand scripture the same way; a co-worker recently told me that Christians are "just Jews who believe in Jesus". And, sadly enough, this is the position held by most people I discuss religion with face-to-face. I don't think it is willful ignorance, but it is still there.

I don't get your point. Good scholarship is not dependent on religion/ethnicity....think about all the translated literature authored/translated even interpreted by people outside of those groups. Unless you're holding a completely different standard to the Bible...which is your prerogative, just don't expect anyone else to.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I don't get your point. Good scholarship is not dependent on religion/ethnicity....think about all the translated literature authored/translated even interpreted by people outside of those groups. Unless you're holding a completely different standard to the Bible...which is your prerogative, just don't expect anyone else to.

I didn't say anything about scholarship or ethnicity.
I really don't know what you're going on about. :shrug:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The fact that, if Jesus was the Christ, the Jews clearly missed something in their scripture, and now that we have the Revelation of the New Testament and the Holy Spirit we are free to reinterpret the Old Testament,
I think it needs to be clearly understood that interpretation is not an individual endeavor, but seeks to hear and utilize voices from several perspectives. Interpretation is a community endeavor.

One of the things responsible interpretation does is to seek to establish a line from prior thinking to new thinking and to maintain that line of thinking. Every valid idea projects outward from some other idea. Therefore, when reinterpreting the Hebrew texts, it's advisable to include some Hebraic voices. Jay's statement is entirely apropos:
The OP was not about who was invited to the table but, rather, who was (perhaps thoughtlessly) excluded from it.
We have the right to reinterpret, but not exclusive of the culture out of which it came.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Amidst the wrong night Gongchou, legal tone drag to dance the night is young. Night is young and wanton revelry, no complaints from the War.Like smoke if the rain is full of love, gently sections off the heart. Off the heart, warm opposite, no sleep tonight.Time is too shallowThe other side too farShort-livedAccording to see the parting moment the glittering littleHalf-full hourglassRepeatedlyLiving on a timeWe do not expect the time backwardsJust remember that at the same table, youTogether is very shortMiss very longJust waiting for the rhythm tonightLock a better smile when MamaScattered fragments ofFight put together togetherPerfect memoryWe enlightened memories can be eternalOnly hope that you remember at the same tableOnce the ends of the earth, today's Coast to CoastOnce ignorant youth, now the flying youthHad a strange harbor, warm nestAll the way together throughHappy, happy, sad, is there entangled

An obvious bot, yet I don't get the point of this?