• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians Only (not really): What do you think about that Jewish text?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
This, too, but also ignorance and thoughtlessness and stuff, I guess.
The thing is, most Christians aren't Jews, but because it's in our canon they think that they have the right to interpret it better than anyone else, including the people it was actually revealed to. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Totally ridiculous. Some of the best writings on the Bible are authored by Christians.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
This, too, but also ignorance and thoughtlessness and stuff, I guess.
The thing is, most Christians aren't Jews, but because it's in our canon they think that they have the right to interpret it better than anyone else, including the people it was actually revealed to. Yeah, I don't get it either.

It was revealed to the Hebrews, not just people who happen to practice Judaism. Get your facts straight.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Because psalms and songs are just writings. Not prophetic ones, just poetry wnd worship.

Personally, id hope your wrong about songs talking of Jesus. Seems to xxx for talking about someone whose supposed to be pure sinless lamb lol

not everyone believes that, and Psalms and Songs is still sacred literature. You don't have to put any value in it, that's fine with me.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Anybody has the "right" to interpret the Bible. Just as the reader has the "right" to judge the validity of the interpretation.

So Saudis are allowed to take the constitution and interperate it without any consideration for the American tradition of interpretating it?
(Okay, not the best exampke, but you know what I mean)

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
not everyone believes that, and Psalms and Songs is still sacred literature. You don't have to put any value in it, that's fine with me.

Who says they are not valuable? Just cause they are not prophetic doesn't make them worthless. My fav is ecc

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
So Saudis are allowed to take the constitution and interperate it without any consideration for the American tradition of interpretating it?
(Okay, not the best exampke, but you know what I mean)

Completely different, that's not even applicable to what we're talking about. The constitution is upheld by gov and laws......that's a silly comparison..

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
Who wrote the psalms?

And what gives christians the "right"?

The fact that, if Jesus was the Christ, the Jews clearly missed something in their scripture, and now that we have the Revelation of the New Testament and the Holy Spirit we are free to reinterpret the Old Testament,

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Completely different, that's not even applicable to what we're talking about. The constitution is upheld by gov and laws......that's a silly comparison..
The point is still there.

Insert something that is onoy american, now that thing is copied, reinterpretated and then pushed to be more authoritive then the original.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
The fact that, if Jesus was the Christ, the Jews clearly missed something in their scripture, and now that we have the Revelation of the New Testament and the Holy Spirit we are free to reinterpret the Old Testament,

So foreigners, strangers are more capable of interpreting a peoples scripture?

Ik actually with Bob on this. You can't take something, reinterpretate it without consideration of the older, original interpretation, and then push it wuthoritiveauthoritive.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The point is still there.

Insert something that is onoy american, now that thing is copied, reinterpretated and then pushed to be more authoritive then the original.

that kind of thing happens regardless, we just have to be discriminating enough to tell what's accurate or not.

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper

Ik actually with Bob on this. You can't take something, reinterpretate it without consideration of the older, original interpretation, and then push it wuthoritiveauthoritive.
Jesus' Sermon on the Mount is based on a radical reinterpretation of Jewish scriptures,

We have a New Covenant,

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

That's just not realistic in regards to Christian authors on the Bible or Judaica. And remember, anybody can be biased.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It is not at all uncommon: Someone poses a question about Jewish text in a Christian only forum. Is it simply ignorance? Thoughtlessness? What?
Just to be clear: there was nothing in the OP that suggested or was intended to suggest that Christians have no right to interpret Jewish text. Nor do I believe that being Christian precludes the possibility of having meaningful insights about the text or of making significant contributions to relevant scholarship.

The OP was not about who was invited to the table but, rather, who was (perhaps thoughtlessly) excluded from it.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I think it happens primarily because of influence and ignorance.

It probably happens most often because Christians, out ofthe religiois groups, have the greatest influence on society and government, at least in the west. And people want to know how they see things because of it. It's the viewpoint that they are going to come into contact with most often, and it will be the one that has the greatest effect on their outlook.

And I say ignorance because I think that most people assume that Christians and Jews understand scripture the same way; a co-worker recently told me that Christians are "just Jews who believe in Jesus". And, sadly enough, this is the position held by most people I discuss religion with face-to-face. I don't think it is willful ignorance, but it is still there.