• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Praying for Satan.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The following is a question I came across on a Christian website.
"I am a Christian but do not have a strong background in the Bible.

My 5 year old understands we are to pray for enemies. He asked "If we pray for Satan, would he change and go back to following God?"

I know Satan was an angel who turned against God and was banished to the Earth. Why was there no hope of him turning back to God, and why would other angels/spirits follow him when his destiny is known?
Thank you for any clarity

– Susan"

So, as a Christian, do you think it proper to pray for Satan? Why or why not?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't believe Satan to be a literal individual, I believe "him" to be a symbolic manifestation of our temptations, thirsts and hungers (of what is not good for us), and that sort of thing. So, in that way, we need to pray for Satan.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I don't believe Satan to be a literal individual, I believe "him" to be a symbolic manifestation of our temptations, thirsts and hungers (of what is not good for us), and that sort of thing. So, in that way, we need to pray for Satan.
So the serpent that tempted A&E wasn't Satan?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Correct me if I am wrong, but according to christian angeology, angels are too different than us for this. Let me explain:

Satan had perfect knowledge of what he did when he defied God.

He knew he was going to lose, he knew what wuld happen to him by defying God, he knew and understood 100% eternity on pain (don´t ask me how) and still decided to do it.

He made an absolutely consious choice, and he doesn´t want to be prayed for. So did every other angel that followed him down.

In other words, you can´t save an angel.

javajo

From my understanding, Satan already sealed his fate some time back. Nowhere in scripture are we told to pray for him. According to Revelation, it doesn't end well for him, or anyone who follows him for that matter.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I've often found that five year olds are particularly adept at exposing the flaws in religion. Food for thought.

Awoon

Satan is the greatest religious figure of All Time.

Before Jesus was, I AM...Satan

AHHHH HA HA HA LOL LOL

no-body

Correct me if I am wrong, but according to christian angeology, angels are too different than us for this. Let me explain:

He knew he was going to lose, he knew what wuld happen to him by defying God, he knew and understood 100% eternity on pain (don´t ask me how) and still decided to do it.

He made an absolutely consious choice, and he doesn´t want to be prayed for. So did every other angel that followed him down.

In other words, you can´t save an angel.

So Satan risked his hide to give us knowledge and continues to fight against an oppressive, unfair regime knowing that he will lose in the end.

Jesus sacrificed himself to himself knowing that he was God the whole time and that he would come back with ultimate power. What a coward.

Lucifer is the true hero.

Me Myself

Back to my username
So Satan risked his hide to give us knowledge and continues to fight against an oppressive, unfair regime knowing that he will lose in the end.

Jesus sacrificed himself to himself knowing that he was God the whole time and that he would come back with ultimate power. What a coward.

Lucifer is the true hero.

According to angeology and theology here is the part where christianity would differ:

So Satan risked his hide to give us knowledge

Satan only wants to spit on God´s face as much as he can because he is so arrogant that he prefers to suffer eternally than to be with God. Besides he wants the worst for us because God loves us, so he uses us as ways to get back on him.

You may think differently, that´s okay, just giving you the understanding according to the subject that is on discussion (christians)

no-body

Satan only wants to spit on God´s face as much as he can because he is so arrogant that he prefers to suffer eternally than to be with God. Besides he wants the worst for us because God loves us, so he uses us as ways to get back on him.

You may think differently, that´s okay, just giving you the understanding according to the subject that is on discussion (christians)

But if God is truly omniscient and omnipotent then Satan is really an agent of God. If God allows all this suffering and pain just to teach us some round about lesson, then he is one sick S.O.B.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
then Satan is really an agent of God.

Satan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Satan (Hebrew: הַשָׂטָן ha-Satan), "the opposer",[1] is the title of various entities, both human and divine, who challenge the faith of humans in the Hebrew Bible.[2] In Christianity and Islam the title became a personal name, and "Satan" changed from an accuser appointed by God to test men's faith to the chief of the rebellious fallen angels ("the devil" in Christianity, "Shaitan" in Arabic, the term used by Arab Christians and Muslims).[3]

Judaism

Hebrew Bible

The original Hebrew term, satan, is a noun from a verb meaning primarily to, “obstruct, oppose,” as it is found in Numbers 22:22, 1 Samuel 29:4, Psalms 109:6.[4] Ha-Satan is traditionally translated as “the accuser,” or “the adversary.” The definite article “ha-”, English “the”, is used to show that this is a title bestowed on a being, versus the name of a being. Thus this being would be referred to as “the Satan.”[5]

Skwim

Veteran Member

What is "perfect" knowledge, and how does it differ from regular knowledge?

Then I'll ask how you know "he knew and understood 100% eternity on pain"?

Aren't all choices consciously made? And, how do you know he and all the angels that followed him don't want to be prayed for. Are you saying that Christians shouldn't pray for people who don't want to be prayed for?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
From my understanding, Satan already sealed his fate some time back. Nowhere in scripture are we told to pray for him. According to Revelation, it doesn't end well for him, or anyone who follows him for that matter.
Nowhere?

Matthew 5:
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may [ap]be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 Therefore [aq]you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
You're commanded to love and pray for your enemies. Is Satan your enemy?

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
The dominant Christian perspective is that Satan is a cursed being. He has no hope left and has already been condemned to hell for eternity.

GabrielWithoutWings

According to apocatastasis, Satan and all of the rebellious angels will be folded back into God's embrace at the end of time because nothing can truly exist apart from God forever. From Him everything issues forth and to Him everything returns.

They don't call him Master Origen for no reason.