• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Praying for Satan.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
There was in heaven an angel named lucifer [morning light] and when God created man he was told to bend his knee to Gods creation, which he refused to do, for this he was cast out of heaven along with his followers. he vowed that he would cause Good to seem evil and evil to seem good. and he would usurp the throne of God.
Who told you this?

e2ekiel

From my understanding, Satan already sealed his fate some time back. Nowhere in scripture are we told to pray for him. According to Revelation, it doesn't end well for him, or anyone who follows him for that matter.

I agree, in the Bible we have been given the revelation of what is installed for Satan.

As Christians we should continue to pray that God's will be done on earth as it is in heaven and that the works of the evil one are recognised and avoided.

not nom

It's improper to pray for Satan, as he's already long since made his bed.

sure, why ponder forgiveness for others when you have it for yourself, right?

it's improper to tell a 5 year that stuff to begin with. seems brainwashy. but other than that, that was actually my first thought too before I begun to believe in god.. I saw the evil in the world, and I thought there is a dragon somewhere, with a splinter in its paw. and all one can do in life is a.) be a miserable coward b.) pull the splinter out c.) die trying. that scared the living crap out of me and the net result was god. but I still stand behind that initial sentiment. I think it's valid, and something to be expected out of a pure young heart.

someone who is trapped in their own hate or pride deserves pity. you can say satan is somehow special (based on what? where is the scripture? it doesn't say "pray for satan", sure, but it doesn't say "pray for aunt emma" either) but to say one shouldn't pray that satan simply turns back (which would be win/win for *everyone*) because he asked for it is hypocritical to me. because according to christian doctrine, humans asked for it as well. live and let live, yeah?

jesus said it's easy to love your friends, or to give to people who can give back. why not say that about satan? it's trivial to have compassion for someone in a situation you could be in. another human, big deal. can you have compassion for something totally alien? something actually evil? not just for something by which you ultimately might mean yourself, another human?

paul says that love among other things "sees no evil". how does that figure into this? surely he doesn't mean love is naive and falls into temptation because it's blind... but it does mean something.

though I have to agree, I wouldn't be into mentioning the devil all the time either. I'd find a nice phrase like love and peace for all, and wouldn't shy away from extending it to all who don't have it, and have a use for it. that's the only qualifier for me. wether that applies to satan I don't know, and to say either way is presumptious in my books.

rusra02

Premium Member
The following is a question I came across on a Christian website.
"I am a Christian but do not have a strong background in the Bible.

My 5 year old understands we are to pray for enemies. He asked "If we pray for Satan, would he change and go back to following God?"

I know Satan was an angel who turned against God and was banished to the Earth. Why was there no hope of him turning back to God, and why would other angels/spirits follow him when his destiny is known?
Thank you for any clarity

– Susan"

So, as a Christian, do you think it proper to pray for Satan? Why or why not?

No, it is not proper to pray for Satan. Satan made himself devil (slanderer) and satan (opposer). He was a son of God at one time, but did not "stand fast in the truth." His sin was willful and he continues to this day opposing God and causing suffering for mankind. (1 John 5:19, John 8:44) Satan's sin was not due to weakness or imperfection. Therefore, he will be destroyed by God in due time (the torment mentioned in Revelation is symbolic). (Revelation 20:10,Genesis 3:15) God's stated purpose will without fail take place. So it would be wrong to pray for something contrary to God's purpose. Rather than pray for Satan, the Bible urges us to pray "deliver us from the wicked one." and to oppose the devil (Matthew 6:9,10 and James 4:7)

idav

Being
Premium Member
No, it is not proper to pray for Satan. Satan made himself devil (slanderer) and satan (opposer). He was a son of God at one time, but did not "stand fast in the truth." His sin was willful and he continues to this day opposing God and causing suffering for mankind. (1 John 5:19, John 8:44) Satan's sin was not due to weakness or imperfection. Therefore, he will be destroyed by God in due time (the torment mentioned in Revelation is symbolic). (Revelation 20:10,Genesis 3:15) God's stated purpose will without fail take place. So it would be wrong to pray for something contrary to God's purpose. Rather than pray for Satan, the Bible urges us to pray "deliver us from the wicked one." and to oppose the devil (Matthew 6:9,10 and James 4:7)
Love your enemies?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
There is no prayer to be said for Satan. Only prayer to be said is for protection from the accuser.
thumbnail.jpg

Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
by the Divine Power of God -
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
After years of study, I have come to the conclusion that Lucifer or the Morning Star is not the same as Satan. But that is just my opinion.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
After years of study, I have come to the conclusion that Lucifer or the Morning Star is not the same as Satan. But that is just my opinion.
Maybe because the only people in the Bible given the title of Morning Star are Jesus and the king of Babylon?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Maybe because the only people in the Bible given the title of Morning Star are Jesus and the king of Babylon?

Yes. We know that Satan isn't Jesus and we know that the king of Babylon wasn't an angel. It doesn't even really say Satan is an angel, either. He is called The Accuser in the Book of Job- and the Book of Job is a symbolic story, not a literal story. When Peter said something to Jesus (I can't remember what, I don't have my bible with me), Jesus replied "Get thee behind me, Satan" (or "Go away, Satan"). That kind of thing is what makes me realize that Satan is just a embodiment of our own temptations and lusts, and such. Jesus wouldn't have had someone evil as His apostle.

All of that is just speculation on my part. I did a lot of biblical research on this very subject.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Strictly speaking scripture, "lucifer", latin for Light-bearer or Morning star, has not been used for the Devil.

From wikipedia;

An ancient myth[5] of the fall of angels, associated with the Morning Star, was transferred to the Devil, as seen in the Life of Adam and Eve and the Second Book of Enoch,[6] which the Jewish Encyclopedia attributes to the first pre-Christian century.[7] In these writings, Satan-Sataniel (sometimes identified with Samael) is described as having been one of the archangels. Because he contrived "to make his throne higher than the clouds over the earth and resemble 'My power' on high", Satan-Sataniel was hurled down, with his hosts of angels, and since then, he has been flying in the air continually above the abyss.[5]
The Early Christian writers Tertullian ("Contra Marcionem," v. 11, 17), Origen (Homilies on Ezekiel 13), and others identify Lucifer with the Devil, who also is represented as being "cast down from heaven" (Revelation 12:7–10; cf. Luke 10:18).[5]
Today, some contemporary exorcists and theologians, such as Father José Antonio Fortea and Father Amorth, assert that Lucifer and the Devil are different beings.[8]
In the New Testament the "adversary" has many names, but "Lucifer" is not among them. He is called "Satan" (Matt. 4:10; Mark 1:13, 4:15; Luke 10:18), "devil" (Matt. 4:1), "adversary" (1. Peter 5:8, ἀντίδικος; 1. Tim. 5:14, ἀντικείμενος), "enemy" (Matt. 13:39), "accuser" (Rev. 12:10), "old serpent" (Rev. 20:2), "great dragon" (Rev. 12:9), Beelzebub (Matt. 10:25, 12:24), and Belial (comp. Samael). In Luke 10:18, John 12:31, 2. Cor. 6:16, and Rev. 12:9 the fall of Satan is mentioned. The devil is regarded as the author of all evil (Luke 10:19; Acts 5:3; 2. Cor. 11:3; Ephes. 2:2), who beguiled Eve (2. Cor. 11:3; Rev. 12:9). Because of Satan, death came into this world, being ever the tempter (1. Cor. 7:5; 1. Thess. 3:5; 1. Peter 5:8), even as he tempted Jesus (Matt. 4). The Christian demonology and belief in the devil dominated subsequent periods.[9] However, though the New Testament includes the conception that Satan fell from heaven "as lightning" (Luke 10:18; Rev. 12:7–10),[10] it nowhere applies the name Lucifer to him.
The Jewish Encyclopedia states that in the apocalyptic literature, the conception of fallen angels is widespread. Throughout antiquity, stars were commonly regarded as living celestial beings (Job 38:7).[10] Indications of belief in fallen angels, behind which probably lies the symbolizing of shooting stars, an astronomical phenomenon, are found in Isaiah 14:12.

rusra02

Premium Member
Love your enemies?

The Bible's counsel to love one's enemies does not preclude hatred for Satan. Many people make themselves our enemies out of ignorance or misinformation. In Satan's case, he is God's chief adversary and deserves our abhorrence.
"Do I not hate those who are intensely hating you, O Jehovah, And do I not feel a loathing for those revolting against you? (Psalm 139:21) We are urged to "oppose the Devil." (James 4:17)