• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians..."Trinity"?

Repox

Truth Seeker
I am a Christian, but I reject the trinity doctrine. I have been told on more than one occasion by other so-called Christians that I can NOT be a Christian unless I accept the doctrine of trinity. Do you believe this is an accurate/fair stance to take?

I think you are on the right track. I believe the gospel writers and Paul, not being able to understand that God (Jesus) is a duality, invented the son of God. Thus, we have the trinity.

If you want to pursue the duality idea, there is empirical evidence. All throughout nature, there is duality: protons and neutrons, positive and negative charges, matter and anti-matter, particles and anti-particles, two eyes, two ears, two legs, two wings, and two of most all anatomy parts for species, and in chemistry and physics we have theories and equations based on duality. It's God's imprint on his creation. Just because theologians don't believe it, doesn't mean it isn't true.

Rather than saying God is a trinity, you should say God is a duality. I also believe the holy spirit was invented by NT writers to promote their agenda for having special powers to understand God and His will. If you research the topic, you will find few references to the spirit of God in the OT. As for the son of God, why didn't the Lord talk about his son in the OT? The son of God is an "illegitimate idea."

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
No worries. I think you are being civilized enough that we can agree to disagree at this point. :yes:
Excellent! Civilized discussions are the best kind. :D

I would say that Jesus . . . means that he qualifies as "divine" under definition (A) according to the merriam-webster dictionary. What say you? :)
That would fit the definition. When was Jesus born, in your view? Was He in the beginning with God, as in John 1, or was He born at the Annunciation?

True. Where we differ is in which category of human tradition does "trinity" fall under. And since the concept of it (in my opinion) contradicts much of what Jesus himself said.....well, you get where I'm going with this.
And I'm sure you can imagine my response.

You are correct on both counts. But the conclusion you are drawing from these facts is based on an incomplete picture.

The eunuch did not know about the Holy Spirit yet because he had not been baptized, nor did anyone tell him about it yet. Phillip stays with him to teach him how to properly interpret the book of Isaiah, then tells him about Jesus, and presumably all of his teachings (including the Holy Spirit). After that, the eunuch is baptized and the Lord whisks Phillip away instantly. This tells us that the eunuch needs no help from any man to interpret scripture after receiving the Holy Spirit. And this is consistent with the teachings of Jesus and the Apostle John.
But all of the eunuch's interpretation of Scripture is henceforth going to be based on what Philip taught him. If he needs no help from man, it is because he already received it and now has a framework within which to work. For example, I don't look up Patristic commentaries on every single verse of the Bible I read. Once I get an understanding of how the early Christians and the Fathers understand parts of the Bible, I can adapt and apply these understandings and the overall thought processes to other parts of the Bible that I read. The Ethiopian eunuch would have done much the same, after Philip expounded to him the meaning of the Scriptures.

John 14:26
But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.

1 John 2:27
This is not a denial of human teaching, but is showing how the Holy Spirit will work within the Church, and within its members that submit to Him. And even though we have the Holy Spirit to guide and teach us, the Holy Spirit still makes use of human teachers to convey His truth.

Ephesians 4:11
And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers,

Hebrews 5:12
For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food.

The Holy Spirit doesn't teach a trinity, God never taught a trinity in the OT, nor does Jesus teach a trinity in the NT. If Trinity was supposed to be a tenet of Christianity, why wouldn't God, Jesus, or any of the disciples talk about it in their ministries? That seems like a pretty big thing to leave out (especially if it might have some bearing on our salvation). They are quite vocal and plain about everything else that seems relevant to salvation. Why is trinity so cryptic? Why does trinity need to be extrapolated by scholars so that a doctrine can be crafted around it?
The Trinity is and was something to be experienced in the life of the Church. The Four Gospels and Paul's Epistles and the writings of the first Christians (I'm talking late first-century, early/mid second-century here) do attest to the Trinity. The basic understanding is there. But the formulation of the idea, the clarification of the dogma of the Trinity, didn't come until Nicaea when the idea needed to be defended against both Sabellianism and Arianism.

A) If God decided to just snap his fingers and absolve all sins, then there is no penalty for sin.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.

If God just decided to snap his fingers and forgive all sin without any penalty, then there is no consequence for sin, and he has lied to us by going against his Holy word.
My point is, He didn't have to send down Jesus to give us a way out of this. He could have simply waited for us all to die, snap His fingers, and BAM! We're all resurrected and being judged, and we still all paid the wages of sin, which is death. No need for Jesus. But God chose to send Jesus and do all this for us.

B) The bible actually TELLS US all of this! It explains why Jesus' sacrifice was necessary for our salvation plainly and directly. It is not some hidden, cryptic message that must be extrapolated by gurus. But there is no such explanation given for why God would need to manifest himself as a "trinity" in order for any of this to happen, and there is no direct scripture that even supports that notion.
God doesn't manifest Himself as the Trinity just for our salvation. It's simply His nature.

Let's just cut to the chase here (since I'm running out of space to write), would you agree that Habakkuk 1:12 (in ANY translation of your choice) does in fact say that God is "eternal" or "everlasting"?
Yes. Dying in the flesh does not negate this, as the Proskomedia prayer I posted illustrates, and as you will learn by reading the links I gave you.

The NJKV is basically just a slightly updated version of the KJV.
With numerous mistranslations corrected, to boot.

insert Bible version history here
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the lesson.

I'm not familiar with the Schlachter's 2000 edition, so I can't comment on that.
Nor would I expect you to be familiar with Bible translations in a foreign language :D

With regard to the NLT, there are certain advantages to using a though-for-thought translation. I will concede that the BEST option is to have BOTH and then use them (and a concordance or interlinear bible) to check each other.
Good point.

I don't think so. You are right in that death was not a cessation of his existence because he was ultimately resurrected. But for three days, he was dead and committed no acts. He no longer "existed" anymore than James Gandolfini exists now. He was raised from the dead, at which point he existed again. But for that three days, there was no Jesus!
Oh really? 1 Peter 3 tells a different story.

18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us[e] to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, 19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited[f] in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water.

So Jesus goes and preaches to the spirits (i.e. dead people) who are in prison (AKA Hades) who had died in the flood. You'll have read all about this soon enough, about how the dead still do exist and are still conscious. (People will bring up Ecclesiastes 9:5, but do keep in mind that this was before any concept of "Sheol" as a realm of the dead--let alone a place where the blessed dead experience joy in the part of Sheol known as "Abraham's bosom" and the wicked dead suffer a fiery punishment as described in the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus--came into being) There most certainly was a Jesus while He was dead.

Even though I think I'm pretty clear about this already, I shall give it a look, then comment later. Till then, peace out, and God bless.
Very well. Peace and God bless! :)

InChrist

Free4ever
I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't "presume" anything about me based on your own experiences. I'd be perfectly happy to examine and debate any of the scriptures that you believe support a belief in the triune nature of God. And I'm sure you'd be equally willing to examine and explain your point of view on every scripture I can provide proving that there Jesus is NOT God. Would that be fair?

Fair enough. I disagree with you but at least this is a more "reasonable" position than someone just saying that you're not a Christian because you don't believe in trinity.

I'd like you to first establish that the scriptures "reveal" what you say they do.

Perhaps. But I still think it is rather presumptuous (and insulting) for one to assume that someone else's interpretation and experiences have led them to something that is FALSE just because it is different from your own perspective. But this is an area that I personally don't think it relevant in terms of salvation. I don't judge other self-professed Christians for believing in trinity (which is a doctrine that I reject as unbiblical). I believe that someone can be a Christian and have a solid foundation in Christ whether they believe in trinity or not. The problem is, many trinitarians are the opposite. I find that most of them DO judge me for not believing in a doctrine that they accept. They think that to reject trinity automatically means that someone is not a believing in Christ, and I find that ridiculous.

Actually, after reading through your posts what I find even more concerning than the rejection of the trinity is the rejection of the Deity of Jesus Christ. As I said, I believe one may be saved without initially believing the trinity, but I don't believe anyone can possibly be a born-again Christian while denying that Jesus is God.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually, after reading through your posts what I find even more concerning than the rejection of the trinity is the rejection of the Deity of Jesus Christ. As I said, I believe one may be saved without initially believing the trinity, but I don't believe anyone can possibly be a born-again Christian while denying that Jesus is God.

When you say "Jesus is God" do you mean the Jesus who lived and taught who was the son of the carpenter Joseph and of Mary? Or do you mean the resurrected Jesus on whom we must believe for salvation?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
When you say "Jesus is God" do you mean the Jesus who lived and taught who was the son of the carpenter Joseph and of Mary? Or do you mean the resurrected Jesus on whom we must believe for salvation?
The two are one and the same.

InChrist

Free4ever

I mean the eternal Son of God who then became human in the person of Jesus Christ and who is now resurrected.

I am a Christian, but I reject the trinity doctrine. I have been told on more than one occasion by other so-called Christians that I can NOT be a Christian unless I accept the doctrine of trinity. Do you believe this is an accurate/fair stance to take?

well, if yo reject the Trinity, this means that your religion s important for you. and you ponder over your beliefs.

In the book The Church of the First Three Centuries, Dr.*Alvan Lamson states that the doctrine of the Trinity “had its origin in a source entirely foreign from that of the Jewish and Christian Scriptures; that it grew up, and was ingrafted on Christianity, through the hands of the Platonizing Fathers.” They were apostate clerics who were infatuated with the teachings of pagan Greek philosopher Plato.

InChrist

Free4ever
well, if yo reject the Trinity, this means that your religion s important for you. and you ponder over your beliefs.

In the book The Church of the First Three Centuries, Dr.*Alvan Lamson states that the doctrine of the Trinity “had its origin in a source entirely foreign from that of the Jewish and Christian Scriptures; that it grew up, and was ingrafted on Christianity, through the hands of the Platonizing Fathers.” They were apostate clerics who were infatuated with the teachings of pagan Greek philosopher Plato.

And who is Dr.Alvan Lamson, pray tell?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

No, I do not.

However, as a Trinitarian, I've been labeled odd before for being as such.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

natasha, just a heads up for you... captainbryce couldn't care less what you have to say on the subject of the Trinity. Even if you and he were to agree on every last detail regarding the nature of God or the relationship between God and Jesus Christ, he is just going to tell you that because your're a Jehovah's Witness, you could not possibly have a brain in your head or be capable of a single logical thought of your own. He will tell you that since you've been brainwashed by your religion, your personal contributions to this thread are of no consequence. Just thought you'd want to know. It's a waste of your time to even post. Trust me. I know.

HankHill

Indian-American Ex-Hindu
Reading through this Captain, I'm unsure of where you stand on the issue of the deity of Christ because I could see you going both ways given what you've said. I've heard of Oneness Pentecostals denying the Trinity, but never really come across someone calling himself a Christian yet denying the deity of Christ. I'd like to make it clear I'm not trying to say you're not a Christian (I think it's unfair for me to say that even if I thought so, which I don't) I'm just seeking clarification of your views.

captainbryce

When was Jesus born, in your view?
I believe he was "born" at the annunciation. I do believe that he was "in the beginning", at least in the metaphorical sense (that Jesus was ALWAYS a part of God's plan, he was ALWAYS meant to be man's salvation, and he was ALWAYS meant to usher in God's Kingdom.) Likewise, his birth on Earth was ordained in the beginning. Do I believe that he literally existed before God created the heavens and the Earth? I honestly don't know! It's an area of study that I haven't given much thought to, to be honest. But I am open enough to the possibility (knowing that this would bring up further questions).

But all of the eunuch's interpretation of Scripture is henceforth going to be based on what Philip taught him.
You're forgetting that Phillip himself was sent by an angel of God specifically to teach this eunuch. So the eunuch didn't learn how to interpret from just ANY man, he learned from a man who was specifically tasked by an angel of the Lord. That means that we can assume Phillip's interpretation didn't come from himself, but directly from God.

Secondly, you're assuming that Phillip taught this eunuch EVERY scripture, of EVERY book throughout the ENTIRE bible. But Acts 8:35 only says that Phillip taught him a passage from the book of Isaiah and about the Gospel of Christ. It doesn't say that he interpreted EVERY scripture for him. What it does say is that he baptized him with the Holy Spirit, and then he left. This suggests that it would be the Holy Spirit that would teach the eunuch everything else that Phillip didn't. And this is the reason he no longer needed help from any man.

For example, I don't look up Patristic commentaries on every single verse of the Bible I read. Once I get an understanding of how the early Christians and the Fathers understand parts of the Bible, I can adapt and apply these understandings
You see to me, that's where people run into problems. The Holy Spirit doesn't give us permission to do that. In fact that's exactly what the bible tells us NOT to do! It says we are supposed to depend on the Holy Spirit to guide us, not early Christians and Fathers.

Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

Matthew 23:9-10
9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah.

1 John 2:27
But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don't need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true--it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ.

So to me, when we start depending on what other Christians thought (regardless of time period), or what men who called themselves "fathers" taught, we are actually going directly against scripture, and not putting our trust in the Holy Spirit.

This is not a denial of human teaching, but is showing how the Holy Spirit will work within the Church, and within its members that submit to Him. And even though we have the Holy Spirit to guide and teach us, the Holy Spirit still makes use of human teachers to convey His truth.
Yes, the Holy Spirit CAN make use of human "teachers", but the bible makes it clear that the Spirit has the final authority.

Whenever you "learn" something from men, those teachings must be tested, and only when they pass the test can they be considered of the Spirit.

1 Thessalonians 5:20-21
Do not scoff at prophecies, 21 but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good.

1 John 4:1
Dear friends, do not believe everyone who claims to speak by the Spirit. You must test them to see if the spirit they have comes from God. For there are many false prophets in the world.

When you learn from the Spirit, nothing must be tested because you know that what the spirit teaches is true.

When you're talking about ancient beliefs/interpretations of men who are long dead, the only way to test those teachings is against the word itself. If any of their teachings contradicts the word, they are wrong (no matter how many people followed them, or how far back into history these teachings go).

Neither Jesus, nor any of his apostles spoke of a trinity or a triune God. And even if some men taught a trinity in the past, that does not imply that everyone who claimed to be an expert on Christ actually knew what they were talking about or were speaking from the Spirit. And depending on what early Christians and Church Fathers "believed" is putting a lot of trust in people you've never met before. I would rather trust the Holy Spirit and receive my instruction directly.

The Four Gospels and Paul's Epistles and the writings of the first Christians (I'm talking late first-century, early/mid second-century here) do attest to the Trinity. The basic understanding is there.
This an opinion, one that we'll have to agree to disagree on.

But the formulation of the idea, the clarification of the dogma of the Trinity, didn't come until Nicaea when the idea needed to be defended against both Sabellianism and Arianism.
That's exactly my point! And that's the reason I don't accept that as a doctrine of Christ, but a doctrine of man.

My point is, He didn't have to send down Jesus to give us a way out of this. He could have simply waited for us all to die, snap His fingers, and BAM! We're all resurrected and being judged, and we still all paid the wages of sin, which is death. No need for Jesus. But God chose to send Jesus and do all this for us.
That is not my understanding! My understanding is that Jesus dies (and atones) for our personal sins, when we accept him as our Lord and savior. Our physical death however is the result of original sin. It does not absolve us of personal sins. That is why we are all resurrected to face judgement! And those who are not absolved of their sins on Earth face a "second death", while those that are granted "eternal life". But the bible makes it clear that in order to be absolved of sin, a death is required! It can either be the death of Christ or your own "second" death.

God doesn't manifest Himself as the Trinity just for our salvation. It's simply His nature.
I find no biblical support of that. The only thing of God's "nature" that the bible tells us is that he is eternal, all-knowing, all-present, all-powerful, good/righteous, truthful, merciful, and that there is only ONE of him. That's it! Scripture does not teach us that he has a triune nature.

Yes. Dying in the flesh does not negate this, as the Proskomedia prayer I posted illustrates, and as you will learn by reading the links I gave you.
Again (yes I did read your links by the way), when the flesh dies, the soul does not continue living. It is in a sleeping state that experiences no conscious thought. And here is a link that has a much more thorough and elaborate explanation of Sheol/Hades.

The Exact Nature of Sheol, Hades and Hell.

With numerous mistranslations corrected, to boot.
Unfortunately. The BIGGEST and most misleading translation flaw throughout the entire bible (1 John 5:7) is still present in the NKJV. :(

Oh really? 1 Peter 3 tells a different story.
Does it? Well, let's examine that: :)

So Jesus goes and preaches to the spirits (i.e. dead people) who are in prison (AKA Hades) who had died in the flood.
Not exactly!

There are many interpretations and variants of this scripture (some more popular than others), but only ONE that actually makes sense in my opinion. Paraphrasing a bit: (scroll about halfway down that link)
1 Peter 3:18-22 Commentary

Disclaimer - 1Peter 3:18-22 are passages which are notoriously difficult to interpret and are reminiscent of Peter's statement about Paul's writings

The most satisfactory explanation of 1Peter 3:19–20 seems rather to be one proposed long ago by Augustine: the passage refers not to something Christ did between his death and resurrection, but to what he did “in the spiritual realm of existence” (or “through the Spirit”) at the time of Noah. When Noah was building the ark, Christ “in spirit” was preaching through Noah to the hostile unbelievers around him. This view gains support from two other statements of Peter. In 1Peter 1:11, he says that the “Spirit of Christ” was speaking in the Old Testament prophets. This suggests that Peter could readily have thought that the “Spirit of Christ” was speaking through Noah as well. So it seems likely that when Christ “preached to the spirits in prison” he did so through Noah in the days before the flood. The people to whom Christ preached through Noah were unbelievers on the earth at the time of Noah, but Peter calls them “spirits in prison” because they are now in the prison of hell—even though they were not just “spirits” but persons on earth when the preaching was done.

There most certainly was a Jesus while He was dead.
Or not. Consider this! :)

Are the Dead Conscious or Asleep? - Here a little, there a little - Commentary

captainbryce

Well, you're entitled to that belief. My only point is that this belief is not biblically supportable. And until someone can actually justify this belief with scripture, I will very easily dismiss this believe as a form of 'prejudice'.

captainbryce

Reading through this Captain, I'm unsure of where you stand on the issue of the deity of Christ because I could see you going both ways given what you've said. I've heard of Oneness Pentecostals denying the Trinity, but never really come across someone calling himself a Christian yet denying the deity of Christ. I'd like to make it clear I'm not trying to say you're not a Christian (I think it's unfair for me to say that even if I thought so, which I don't) I'm just seeking clarification of your views.

1) I believe that there is ONE God, this is the god of Abraham (YHWH; Yahweh; Jehovah; Elohim; Allah; Almighty; etc), and that God himself makes this clear over and over again (that God is ONE).

2) I believe that Jesus also teaches us that he is NOT God, but merely the one whom God sent. He specifically states that God is ONE, that he is "lesser" than God, and that he has his own God.

3) I believe that Jesus Christ WAS divine (in the sense that he was more than a man). He was the Son of God, sent to be our salvation. And he has a special place in heaven at God's right hand. Being that he is directly from God and of God, he is by definition "divine". However, he is not a "deity" anymore than the angels are deities. Jesus says there is only ONE God (his father, not himself), and therefore there is only ONE deity.

Does that clarify my position? I am prepared to offer scriptural support if necessary.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
1) I believe that there is ONE God, this is the god of Abraham (YHWH; Yahweh; Jehovah; Elohim; Allah; Almighty; etc), and that God himself makes this clear over and over again (that God is ONE).

2) I believe that Jesus also teaches us that he is NOT God, but merely the one whom God sent. He specifically states that God is ONE, that he is "lesser" than God, and that he has his own God.

3) I believe that Jesus Christ WAS divine (in the sense that he was more than a man). He was the Son of God, sent to be our salvation. And he has a special place in heaven at God's right hand. Being that he is directly from God and of God, he is by definition "divine". However, he is not a "deity" anymore than the angels are deities. Jesus says there is only ONE God (his father, not himself), and therefore there is only ONE deity.

Does that clarify my position? I am prepared to offer scriptural support if necessary.

It is written "there are many gods". Deity means god. So there are many deities. There is the god of this World but it is not true. There is only one TRUE God or deity. The truth about Jesus is he is also true and a deity. He is the way, the truth and the life.

I agree with the rest of your post.

captainbryce

It is written "there are many gods". Deity means god. So there are many deities. There is the god of this World but it is not true. There is only one TRUE God or deity.
I agree with that. And if that part didn't come through in my post (something I assumed was obvious) then I apologize.

The truth about Jesus is he is also true and a deity.
Then that statement directly contradicts your previous one. If there is only one "true" deity, then there cannot "also" be another.

I agree with the rest of your post.
If you agree with the rest of my post, then you are further contradicting yourself. The rest of my post states: "Jesus also teaches us that he is NOT God" So now I'm confused. If you agree with that, and you agree that there is only one "true" deity, then how can you say Jesus was ALSO a deity? That doesn't make any sense! :confused:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree with that. And if that part didn't come through in my post (something I assumed was obvious) then I apologize.

Then that statement directly contradicts your previous one. If there is only one "true" deity, then there cannot "also" be another.

If you agree with the rest of my post, then you are further contradicting yourself. The rest of my post states: "Jesus also teaches us that he is NOT God" So now I'm confused. If you agree with that, and you agree that there is only one "true" deity, then how can you say Jesus was ALSO a deity? That doesn't make any sense! :confused:

Is Jesus true and not a liar? Is Jesus a deity? He is not The God. He is The God's son so he is also a deity and true.