• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confused and feel guilty

Leo613

You mention you are Jewish. I believe God does not desire we live our lives with an outward display of piety. Jesus forcefully condemned the religious leaders of his day for their hypocrisy, telling them they "resemble whitewashed graves, which outwardly indeed appear beautiful but inside are full of dead men’s bones and of every sort of uncleanness. In the same way, on the outside you appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness". (Matthew 23:28) My point is IMO, that true worship makes us happy, not guilt ridden. As Ezra told the Jews in Nehemiah 8:10; "Go, eat the choice things and drink what is sweet, and send portions of food to those who have nothing prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord, and do not feel sad, for the joy of Jehovah is your stronghold.”
The problem is I don't like anything about religion so I become an outsider

Leo613

Have you ever been overwhelmed by the guilt you have felt watching TV?

What are your views on God?

My ex was from the Chabad community and his family were mostly concerned about him not marrying a Jewish woman more than anything else. He did have a niece though that he seemed to be able to turn to for solace.
His school at the time also practiced physical punishment. What was your school like?
Not really overwhelming that i can't cope its more subconscious feeling in the back of my mind the whole time.

God seems to exist all around, its what's inside of me difficult to deal with. I don't feel there's a God whose going to punish me yet I feel guilty when it comes to tv etc. Which comes from my upbringing.
When it comes to personal deeds I feel my conscience will punish me.
Does it answer the question about God?

I was also chabad and there was no secular studies at all throughout my education and the teachers hit student's over 13 years old as well and you weren't allowed to talk to opposite sex and college was no go subject

Wherenextcolumbus

Not really overwhelming that i can't cope its more subconscious feeling in the back of my mind the whole time.

God seems to exist all around, its what's inside of me difficult to deal with. I don't feel there's a God whose going to punish me yet I feel guilty when it comes to tv etc. Which comes from my upbringing.
When it comes to personal deeds I feel my conscience will punish me.
Does it answer the question about God?

I was also chabad and there was no secular studies at all throughout my education and the teachers hit student's over 13 years old as well and you weren't allowed to talk to opposite sex and college was no go subject

I'm sorry hear it's something you still struggle with but it's good to know you are coping.

Interesting that my ex had a very similar view on god as you do, although he doesn't see himself as Jewish in any way.
What's your relationship with being Jewish?
Oh yes, my ex's school was next to the girls school so they used to speak to girls via the phone box opposite the street ;) cute right?

Did you ever go to college, or study anything else?

How long have you been experiencing social anxiety and are you aware of what led to it?

Leo613

I'm sorry hear it's something you still struggle with but it's good to know you are coping.

Interesting that my ex had a very similar view on god as you do, although he doesn't see himself as Jewish in any way.
What's your relationship with being Jewish?
Oh yes, my ex's school was next to the girls school so they used to speak to girls via the phone box opposite the street ;) cute right?

Did you ever go to college, or study anything else?

How long have you been experiencing social anxiety and are you aware of what led to it?
I feel Jewish based on history.

School opposite as well was it London?

Only college did gcse English, math, Bookkeeping

Social anxiety caused by few things. remember asking question, my father got frustrated annoyed we never expressed feelings cause the religion was dictated so there wasn't an atmosphere of freedom of speech.

Wherenextcolumbus

I feel Jewish based on history.

School opposite as well was it London?

Only college did gcse English, math, Bookkeeping

Social anxiety caused by few things. remember asking question, my father got frustrated annoyed we never expressed feelings cause the religion was dictated so there wasn't an atmosphere of freedom of speech.

London yes. In fact you could probably guess which part of London.

That must have been very difficult growing up, not being able to be inquisitive. Especially as a child. Children are very inquisitive.

Would you like to talk about what your relationship is like with your father now? You can pm if you're uncomfortable answering questions here.

Leo613

London yes. In fact you could probably guess which part of London.

That must have been very difficult growing up, not being able to be inquisitive. Especially as a child. Children are very inquisitive.

Would you like to talk about what your relationship is like with your father now? You can pm if you're uncomfortable answering questions here.
I'm out tonight now, speak later.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Well, clearly you're Jewish. Catholics aren't confused, they're normally pretty on-point about why they should feel guilty.

GoodbyeDave

There's an old contrast made between guilt culture and shame culture. Jews and Protestants are trained to feel guilt, Catholics are more oriented towards shame. It's the difference between "How would I feel if I did that?" and "How would I look if I had to admit to doing that in the confessional?" We pagans go for shame: "What would people say if the found me doing that?"