• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Converting to Judaism

Tumah

Veteran Member
Hello everyone! I have a question about conversion. Can ritual immersion in water (mikveh) be considered initiation rites for converts?
Under the proper circumstances, ritual immersion is the only way to be converted to Judaism.

Uniquename

If you think rites create a change in the initiate, then yes, it is an initiation rite.
So, it does create a change? What confuses me is how it differs from other immersions in mikveh that were or still are practiced by other Jews? Is something special about this first immersion? Can we say that ritual immersion has two meanings, ritual cleaning and initiation? Or not?

Tumah

Veteran Member
So, it does create a change? What confuses me is how it differs from other immersions in mikveh that were or still are practiced by other Jews? Is something special with this first immersion? Can we say that ritual immersion has two meanings, ritual cleaning and initiation? Or not?
My understanding is that they're both creating a rebirth. The question is on what you're emphasizing:
A pure NEW baby (conversion)
or
A PURE new baby (regular immersion)

Uniquename

Immersion in all cases marks a status change from (one wording) "impure" to "pure." The source of the impurity might be different but in neither case is it simply "cleaning".

Related interesting point: http://judaism.stackexchange.com/qu...to-judaism-go-to-the-mikvah-during-her-period

If the status change for both Jew and a convert is the same, then what is the difference? What marks immerson of a convert an initiation rite? It is something that can be done many times, am I right? Or there is something I do not understand properly...
I am acctualy having a debate whether or not is a ritual immersion in mikveh an initiation ritual.

rosends

If the status change for both Jew and a convert is the same, then what is the difference? What marks immerson of a convert an initiation rite? It is something that can be done many times, am I right? Or there is something I do not understand properly...
I am acctualy having a debate whether or not is a ritual immersion in mikveh an initiation ritual.
The status from impure to pure in the most general sense is the same but the specifics are different. Anything which marks a change in status could be called an initiation ritual. When a person who was impure because he came in contact with something impure immerses, he is allowed to reenter the camp of Israel. The act is therefore an initiation into the pure camp if Israel. The convert is being brought in to the camp as well.

The problem is in the imprecise concept of "initiation ritual." In a sense, most any "first" act can be imbued with the kind of social acceptance passage-label that would allow it, in some sense to be called an intiiation ritual. The first immersion after any period of impurity is no exception.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Hello everyone! I have a question about conversion. Can ritual immersion in water (mikveh) be considered initiation rites for converts?
As one of its functions, yes. As a Reform Jew, we require it with my synagogue, but RabiO maybe can tell us if this is true with most in Reform.

dantech

Just like for any Jew, I believe Immersion's only purpose is to purify you of any impurities (contact with the dead, impurities of idolatry for having entered a Church for example, and so on and so on...).

When one converts, he becomes a new person, and a new person should be pure.

rosends

I'm not jewish but would like to be a (initiated..?) student of the Kabbalah. Is there any chance of becoming so?
In truth, not really. The kabbalah is an extension of Jewish learning that comes after intense study of text and law and is connected to fervent practice. It can't stand on its own, nor can one practice kabbalah as some sort of separate thing.

Flankerl

If a Jewish person converts to let's say Hinduism, would they still be Jewish? If yes, would they be a Jewish Hindu?

Whether a Jew follows Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism or various other religions he stays a Jew. But that doesn't mean he's not an Apostate.

metis

Frankly, I have problems with the word "apostate", especially in regards to that which may be used to classify another as being an "apostate" is highly subjective. For example, in this area, what's the difference between an "apostate" and a "free thinker" or a "questioner" or one who says "I don't know" a lot :rolleyes:?

metis

I think it is a neutral word that means a person who rejects and leaves a religion.
Yes, I agree. What influenced my comment above is that I usually hear or read that term as being a slam against the person that's left.

rosends

The issue has to do with the view of that person by a set of religious laws. If the law says "born a Jew, always a Jew" then the rejection of Judaic law and primacy doesn't change "always a Jew" but places the individual in a legal category, even if the person rejects the validity of the categories. I sometimes differentiate by saying "a Jew who converted to _________ is still a Jew in the eyes of Judaism and bound to its laws and punishments, but is not communally accepted as a Jew so he is unable to participate in the Jewish identity as part of the system."

metis

The issue has to do with the view of that person by a set of religious laws. If the law says "born a Jew, always a Jew" then the rejection of Judaic law and primacy doesn't change "always a Jew" but places the individual in a legal category, even if the person rejects the validity of the categories. I sometimes differentiate by saying "a Jew who converted to _________ is still a Jew in the eyes of Judaism and bound to its laws and punishments, but is not communally accepted as a Jew so he is unable to participate in the Jewish identity as part of the system."
I can buy this. Nicely said, imo.