• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Convince me that the US healthcare system is good

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Hi... :)
as a premise I would like to understand why Americans think their healthcare system is good.
If I have understood correctly, it is based upon private insurances that you pay for all life, even if you have never been hospitalized in your life, right?

What makes it efficient and better than the British NHS, for example?

This is a debate where Shapiro tries to convince AK, but honestly he hasn't convinced me yet,

Altfish

Veteran Member
as a premise I would like to understand why Americans think their healthcare system is good.
If I have understood correctly, it is based upon private insurances that you pay for all life, even if you have never been hospitalized in your life, right?

This is a debate where Shapiro tries to convince AK, but honestly he hasn't convinced me yet,
It is good if you have a job which gives it as a benefit or are rich.
For everyone else the system sucks

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's good for me & mine, albeit expensive.
But your mileage can vary.

How expensive. Here in france the government pays between 15% and 85% of medical bills, the balance is paid by private insurance which for us is around €2500 per year.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Our healthcare is good.

The problem is always the usual suspect.

Money.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't know how it is in other countries, although in America (just as with anything else), it's stratified by class. One can see noticeable differences between healthcare facilities in wealthy areas as opposed to less affluent areas.

Most people get their health insurance through their employers, who are the ones making the decision as to which insurance company they use (and oftentimes they'll change). The employer typically pays half the monthly premium, while the employee pays the other half. Then there are co-pays and deductibles which can also be expensive and out of reach for lower income people.

In many cases, it's actually better to be unemployed and on the dole, as they get healthcare totally free. It's those who work who end up having to shoulder the lion's share of the burden and costs.

As for quality and efficiency, it seems rather hit and miss, especially for a business which charges a lot of money for their services. It's like a restaurant charging five-star prices, while delivering low-quality service at the level of a greasy spoon diner.

There are also long-term concerns about potential shortages in doctors and other healthcare workers, which appears to be a consequence of myopic medical schools and colleges. They're not recruiting and training enough people to become doctors. The process is also too slow and time-consuming, when there might be ways of fast-tracking.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
The American healthcare system is emberassing and shameful. People would rather wait and not get treated than pay the outrageous hospital fees. We literally charge mothers to hold their own babies after they've given birth. Full shameless greed on display

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Medicare is single payer for those over 65 and works well. The rest, not so much. Medicaid is for those in long term nursing home care and is iffy.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't know how it is in other countries, although in America (just as with anything else), it's stratified by class. One can see noticeable differences between healthcare facilities in wealthy areas as opposed to less affluent areas.

Most people get their health insurance through their employers, who are the ones making the decision as to which insurance company they use (and oftentimes they'll change). The employer typically pays half the monthly premium, while the employee pays the other half. Then there are co-pays and deductibles which can also be expensive and out of reach for lower income people.

In many cases, it's actually better to be unemployed and on the dole, as they get healthcare totally free. It's those who work who end up having to shoulder the lion's share of the burden and costs.

As for quality and efficiency, it seems rather hit and miss, especially for a business which charges a lot of money for their services. It's like a restaurant charging five-star prices, while delivering low-quality service at the level of a greasy spoon diner.

There are also long-term concerns about potential shortages in doctors and other healthcare workers, which appears to be a consequence of myopic medical schools and colleges. They're not recruiting and training enough people to become doctors. The process is also too slow and time-consuming, when there might be ways of fast-tracking.

For example, if someone has had a car accident and is taken to the hospital with the ambulance, after calling 911.
Are the ambulance and hospitalization fees covered by the insurance?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's not very convincing.
I never expected to convince you.
(I've never had success.)
So you think a British-like NHS would be better? :)
I'm not familiar with their system, other
than medical staff going on strike over
pay, long hours, & poor service.
However, they do allow private care for
pay, so there's that "Plan B".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How expensive. Here in france the government pays between 15% and 85% of medical bills, the balance is paid by private insurance which for us is around €2500 per year.
How expensive is hard to say without some
analysis. But it sounds as spendy as yours,
just not paid for by government (in most cases).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
My question is: do you think a British-like single payer healthcare system would be better, in the US?
Well make it like they do with the educational system and things should pan out, aside from taxes. That of course will create a whole new kettle of fish.

Canada has a fair system, but what they don't like to point out is it dosent recognize dental care as being healthcare.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I never expected to convince you.
(I've never had success.)

I'm not familiar with their system, other
than medical staff going on strike over
pay, long hours, & poor service.
However, they do allow private care for
pay, so there's that "Plan B".

If they strike, they are right. It means the State should satisfy their requests, if they are legitimate.
That said, in Europe there is always a PLAN B for the wealthy (private healthcare).
In US people cannot choose. There's just one plan.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For example, if someone has had a car accident and is taken to the hospital with the ambulance, after calling 911.
Are the ambulance and hospitalization fees covered by the insurance?

Generally, yes, although it might vary as to how much of the cost they will pay. There might still be deductibles and co-pays. And if, for some bureaucratic or other reason, the insurance company doesn't pay, they'll send the bill to the patient, who is still responsible for paying for it. Then they can deal with the insurance company for reimbursement, which can be a bit of a pain in the butt.

By law, hospital emergency rooms are required to treat anyone and everyone who comes through their doors, regardless of their ability to pay or whether they have any insurance. Even if they're undocumented migrants, the emergency room has to take them. At urgent care facilities and private doctor's offices, they don't seem to have to follow those rules and can turn people away.

This has the effect of undermining efficiency, since the emergency rooms end up having to deal with people who have mild ailments that could have been treated at an urgent care or clinic - but since some people have no other options, they show up at the ER.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well make it like they do with the educational system and things should pan out, aside from taxes. That of course will create a whole new kettle of fish.

Canada has a fair system, but what they don't like to point out is it dosent recognize dental care as being healthcare.

In my opinion, if the US healthcare system charge people money just for an ambulance ride and hospitalization, after a car accident...well...it's not fair.
It's not normal. It means to cash in on people's diseases.