• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Convince me that the world isn't overpopulated

anotherneil

Ok, all I had to do was go in to around the 1:20 mark in this OP video, and already she's either being dishonest, or she's ignorant. She makes the false claim that "we've decided not to talk about it," despite that I've always been hearing about it throughout my life in many different ways.

Regarding the thread title, why is it anyone's burden to convince someone that something is not happening? You're asking someone to prove a negative. It's on you to prove that there is overpopulation, for one thing. Even if you could prove that there is indeed overpopulation, so what?

Wait - back up - it's not that simple. Who decides what the criteria is for overpopulation?

One issue with making the threshold for overpopulation as a function of available resources is that the threshold for overpopulation could be only 1 person. If there's not enough resources for 1 person, then there's overpopulation with a population of only 1 person.

Wait, there's more! What action do the overpopulation alarmists want to take? Who do they work for, multi-billionaires such as Bill Gates?

I've heard critics of overpopulation alarmism assert that the uber-wealthy want to reduce the population. BTW what ever happened to that Georgia Guidestones thing after it was destroyed or vandalized or whatever?

Anyhow, who am I to say that what the critics of overpopulation alarmism are claiming is nonsense, given the existence of things like the Georgia Guidestones and the actions being taken by the uber-wealthy? They seem to make a valid point.

Regardless of whether or not anyone wants to dismiss the claims or observations being pointed out by critics of overpopulation alarmism, the solution is not necessarily to reduce the population, and it's not the only solution.

Overpopulation may just be one of countless struggles of life; there's also disease, crime, war & violent conflict, climate change, social & political instability, poverty & economic inequality, racism, bigotry, social injustice, technological disruption, lack of equal access to education, etc.

Humanity has a degree of problem-solving skills and creativity that isn't found in the rest of nature. We can and have found solutions to problems that don't involve planet-wide genocide.

For example, one way we fight disease is by learning and practicing science to find cures, treatments, vaccines, other ways of shielding ourselves from disease, learning what causes disease so we can avoid the sources, and other preventative measures; we don't resort to slaughtering people infected with a contagious plague, and many individuals don't decide to be childless for the sake of preventing them from suffering.

One solution made possible by the Internet is making education far more easily accessible than before.

Regarding having children, even in Red China they didn't ban people from procreating (they had a policy of allowing 1 child per couple, and that had the "unintended" consequences of its overall population keeping much fewer girls). Every couple in the world would need to have 2 children just to keep the population at the same level; if every couple only had one child, that would result in a population drop rate of half per generation. My point here is that if a couple is concerned about overpopulation, they don't need to resort to having 0 children; they can still have 1 child and it's not going to increase the population at the generational level - it still reduces by half.

Climate change consequences is closely related to overpopulation; there's a lot of overlap between the two issues. Carbon dioxide (CO2) is a greenhouse gas (GHG), human beings produce CO2, and it does play a role in changing the climate and global warming; these are scientific facts. However, climate change has been happening ever since the planet developed an atmosphere 4 - 5 billion years ago, and the existence of life on the planet has played a role in changing the climate ever since life developed on the planet; these are also scientific facts. BTW, CO2 is not the only GHG; water vapor (H2O-g) is also a GHG; not only does H2O-g play a more powerful or dominant role in trapping heat, but by forming into clouds, it also has a cooling effect by reflecting sunlight away; this is yet more scientific fact.

One solution for mitigating climate change consequences is to make sacrifices (the type of solution for which religion seems to have an affinity), such as paying "carbon" taxes, banning vehicles with internal combustion engines and use of so-called "fossil fuels." Not only is this not the only solution, but it seems like it's just a solution designed to only benefit crony capitalists, especially when one takes into account how they'll still fly their private jets - even to fly around the world to conferences for "battling climate change," attack "climate change denier" strawmen, and get people to chase red herrings such as whether or not they own or bought the private jets that they use by making that the highlight or focus of a news story. Just like there are much better solutions to dealing with contagious diseases and lack of access to education, there are also solutions to the problems caused by climate change.

The overpopulation and climate change alarmism narratives are similar, including the way they are religious. If we don't stop overpopulation, we're going to starve to death. If we don't pay carbon credits, we're all going to burn to death. If we don't pay for our sins, we'll burn in hell.

Religion and government bans don't produce solutions; science and technology do produce solutions.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
The overpopulation and climate change alarmism narratives are similar, including the way they are religious. If we don't stop overpopulation, we're going to starve to death. If we don't pay carbon credits, we're all going to burn to death. If we don't pay for our sins, we'll burn in hell.

Religion and government bans don't produce solutions; science and technology do produce solutions.

As I read your long post, I found it difficult to understand your point. But is it safe to assume that the last bit of your post that I copied summarizes your point?

If so...

I STRONGLY DISAGREE that overpopulation and climate change alarms are similar to religious alarms. In fact, I'd say that they are opposite. Overpopulation and climate change alarms are based on data, evidence, and logic. They are falsifiable. Religious claims are not.

As for "bans", here you're agreeing with the speaker in the OP. She agrees that bans do not work. What works is education and access to birth control for girls and women.

As for science and technology producing solutions, I agree, but only up to a point. To mention just two issues the world has to face:

- loss of topsoil
- loss of fresh water.

Science is not close to having solutions for these two losses - maybe for a handful of people, but not for billions.

Overpopulation - if unchecked - will lead to the collapse of society, that's just simple math.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
But even if we fixed all of those problems, and we should, there would still be too many people on the planet.
Well, that is your opinion.
I see that it is only the cities that are overcrowded.
It is economic forces over the last few centuries (industrial revolution), that has
forced people into cities, away from their natural habitat.

Altfish

Veteran Member

Alexandra Paul has always been wonderful at explaining how this is a problem.
And it's not a matter of space. The spaces are borderless. The problem is resources, since so many lands are unproductive and 8 billion people is an unsustainable number.
And besides that, world overpopulation has been causing nothing but social inequalities and maldistribution of wealth.

And the shocking thing is that when I was born, world population was 4 billion.
Now it has doubled. It has reached 8 billion, and I am still young. Almost all of my former classmates are childless.
And they have no intention of making babies. Not only because of the uncertainty of the future...but because they don't want kids that will have to live in a nightmarish, overpopulated world.
I also advise people that being child-free is better, and they yell at me, telling I am wrong. Since the West is the one which is going through a birth rates collapse, and that it's other continents which should decrease their birth rates.
But the truth is that the future kids will have to face overwhelming immigration, and the discomfort of an overpopulated world.
So...we should think of their future.

View attachment 83178

Birth rates
I can't.

Nimos

Alexandra Paul has always been wonderful at explaining how this is a problem.
And it's not a matter of space. The spaces are borderless. The problem is resources, since so many lands are unproductive and 8 billion people is an unsustainable number.
And besides that, world overpopulation has been causing nothing but social inequalities and maldistribution of wealth.

And the shocking thing is that when I was born, world population was 4 billion.
Now it has doubled. It has reached 8 billion, and I am still young. Almost all of my former classmates are childless.
And they have no intention of making babies. Not only because of the uncertainty of the future...but because they don't want kids that will have to live in a nightmarish, overpopulated world.
I also advise people that being child-free is better, and they yell at me, telling I am wrong. Since the West is the one which is going through a birth rates collapse, and that it's other continents which should decrease their birth rates.
But the truth is that the future kids will have to face overwhelming immigration, and the discomfort of an overpopulated world.
So...we should think of their future.

View attachment 83178

Birth rates
If the whole of the world could agree to aim at a one-child policy, that would probably be a good solution to reduce population over time. And I do agree with her that Earth/Nature would be better off with fewer people.

Especially because we also know that robots will eventually get here and take over a lot of jobs whether we like it or not, they are eventually going to be more efficient than we are at pretty much anything. So we don't need that many people anyway. So it seems like the "easiest" solution to solve a lot of problems of the future.

icehorse

Premium Member
It is economic forces over the last few centuries (industrial revolution), that has
We feed most everyone using the food that is grown on farms, correct? We're aleady using almost all of the good farmland in the world, and we're destroying that farmland by mismanaging the topsoil. No topsoil, no good farmland.

It's not rocket science.

icehorse

Premium Member
"we feed" .. who is this "we"?
"we" are the farmers of the planet.

We (the farmers) feed everyone, correct?
We (the farmers), grow food on farms (let's call a garden a small farm, okay?)
We (the farmers), are already using almost all of the good farmland in the world.
We (the farmers), are - for the most part - depleting the topsoil that occurred naturally on the land we farm.

Of course there are exceptions. But overall, if we look at all the farming in the world, farmers are depleting their topsoil.

This is not to criticize farmers! This is happening because they have to feed too many people. If farmers didn't need to feed so many people, they could treat their land better. They could give their fields time to rest and restore. They wouldn't have to use so many chemicals.

Farmers are awesome!!! But we have given them an impossible task:

1 - feed all the people
2 - protect their land

They cannot do both at the same time. It's just reality.

anotherneil

As I read your long post, I found it difficult to understand your point. But is it safe to assume that the last bit of your post that I copied summarizes your point?
Given that this is Religious Forums, I was speaking more broadly and generally about how the topic ties into religion (I sometimes like to do this), but to answer your question - not really; it's only part of it. In a broader & more abstract sense, it's essentially something along the lines that the notion of overpopulation is rather subjective and lacks some context. The main point, however - the underlying theme, is that not every issue is a problem or unsolved problem, and there can be more than one way to solve a problem. The wisdom that may be drawn is that having & keeping a free-market economy is best for solving problems.

If so...

I STRONGLY DISAGREE that overpopulation and climate change alarms are similar to religious alarms. In fact, I'd say that they are opposite.
I don't see the distinction, but I'm specifically referring to the mentality and behavior involved in terms of taking action to deal with an issue. I don't make the claim that overpopulation and climate change are religion per se; this would actually conflict with what I have said.

Overpopulation and climate change alarms are based on data, evidence, and logic. They are falsifiable.
You're substantially repeating here what I have already asserted.

Religious claims are not.
Yes, but I wasn't referring specifically to the notion of religious claims (so this seems like a strawman attack).

As for "bans", here you're agreeing with the speaker in the OP. She agrees that bans do not work. What works is education and access to birth control for girls and women.
Ok, I suppose that's what the speaker in the OP gets into later on in the video, but I lost interest in watching the rest of it after she spoiled her credibility with that rather dubious intro.

As for science and technology producing solutions, I agree, but only up to a point. To mention just two issues the world has to face:

- loss of topsoil
- loss of fresh water.

Science is not close to having solutions for these two losses - maybe for a handful of people, but not for billions.
These may be issues the world is facing, but I don't believe it's accurate to blame science and technology for the lack of solutions. Solutions do in fact exist, and the only reason I can think of for why those solutions aren't being implemented is because of government bans that were probably the result of religious zealotry.

As an example of government and religion getting in the way of science and technology, there's the religious "endangered species" or fish worship zealotry that's wasteful and gets in the way of access to resources: Farmers vs. Fish: The Story of Delta Smelt

Overpopulation - if unchecked - will lead to the collapse of society, that's just simple math.
Same with political & religious zealotry.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
"we" are the farmers of the planet.
OK

No .. not correct.
Who feeds the birds .. who feeds all creatures on earth?

We (the farmers), are - for the most part - depleting the topsoil that occurred naturally on the land we farm..
The industrialized farmers, yes.

This is not to criticize farmers! This is happening because they have to feed too many people..
No. The intention of farmers, generally, is not to feed the world population.
The intention of industrialized farmers, in particular, must be to make a profit !

We Never Know

No Slack
OK

No .. not correct.
Who feeds the birds .. who feeds all creatures on earth?

The industrialized farmers, yes.

The intention of industrialized farmers, in particular, must be to make a profit !
"No .. not correct.
Who feeds the birds .. who feeds all creatures on earth"

When did birds and creature become part of "everyone"?

Everyone :every person :everybody

We Never Know

No Slack
..feeling like being pedantic, are we? :)

..or are you suggesting that the feeding of creatures in general is somehow different
to the feeding of humans?
They ALL require food and drink, don't they?
Just pointing out that "everyone" means all people and "everything" means all things(people, birds and creatures).

icehorse

Premium Member
I don't have such a cynical view of the intentions of farmers, but I'm not sure how that's relevant to topsoil depletion?

Regardless of farmers' intentions, the bottom line is that we DO rely on them for our food. Maybe they make profits, maybe governments subsidize them, whatever. We rely on farms for our food.

And for the most part, the topsoil in farms around the world is being destroying much, much faster than it replenishes itself. If farmers were able to take good care of their topsoil, then we wouldn't have enough food for everyone.

anotherneil

Overpopulation is a cause of poverty.
I'm chiming in on this & haven't read through all the posts in this thread (yet), so if my inquiry has already been addressed, please just let me know or refer me to the post number(s).

I have 3 questions:

1. How do you define overpopulation?
2. How do you define poverty?
3. Is "overpopulation is a cause of poverty" a conclusion from an argument that you have already presented & if not, what's your argument or reasoning for drawing such a conclusion?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't have such a cynical view of the intentions of farmers, but I'm not sure how that's relevant to topsoil depletion?

Regardless of farmers' intentions, the bottom line is that we DO rely on them for our food. Maybe they make profits, maybe governments subsidize them, whatever. We rely on farms for our food.

And for the most part, the topsoil in farms around the world is being destroying much, much faster than it replenishes itself. If farmers were able to take good care of their topsoil, then we wouldn't have enough food for everyone.
And it's not just topsoil. The American great plains, for example, are irrigated by a rapidly failing aquifer.
The farmland of the most populous countries of the world, India and China, is largely irrigated by great rivers originating from Himalayan snowmelt -- from snows and glaciers that are rapidly dishappearing.
The African rainforest is being overrun by the expanding Sahel. The Sahel is being overrun by the Expanding Sahara. The peoples of the rainforest and Sahel are forced to migrate into hostile territories or perish.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's not about overcrowding. It's about biodiversity and the health of the ecosystem.