• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporal punishment in schools should be abolished

[youtube]0vt4v7KsFi8[/youtube]
The Board of Education Official Trailer #1 (2012) HD Movie - YouTube

states.png

states-8th-grade.png

Does using violence make better students? I would prefer that this barbaric practice be done away with. Maybe a compromise would give parents a choice on what punishments the school would administer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
No...really . It sounds like a joke. Or a nightmare.
In my country, if a teacher slightly slaps a kid, will probably lose their job

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Seriously...this sounds absurd. The federal government has the right to forbid corporal punishment in all the national territory.
we are dealing with human fundamental rights. With kids' dignity.

I thought that Miss Trunchbull from the movie Matilda was just pure fantasy. Now I realize she wasn't.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think teachers should be restrained so that they can only fire warning shots over the heads of their unruly students.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Does using violence make better students? I would prefer that this barbaric practice be done away with. Maybe a compromise would give parents a choice on what punishments the school would administer.

A better compromise, IMO: whatever punishment the teacher inflicts on the child, then child's parents can inflict on the teacher, principal, superintendent, or school board members.

If it's assault when one adult does it to another, then it's assault when an adult does it to a child.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
My teachers told students to get out of the classroom and when they left, Where every they went, and What ever they did after, no one cared.
If it was worthy of getting written up, they'd get written up.
I don't see why corporal punishment is needed lol

Most Sent their butt to Saturday school after kicking them out of the classroom.
If they don't show they get suspended.
Id rather take a booty beating than that tbh. Fook going to school on a saturday.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
They didn't accomplish anything.

And there my man, is the bottom line. :) IT DOES NOT WORK! Back in 1978 79 when I started teaching, I strapped 4 kids. (Back then it was almost in vogue, and a couple of times it was on the advice of the principal.) I was an idiot. It made no change in the student behaviour at all. Very ineffective tool.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
And there my man, is the bottom line. :) IT DOES NOT WORK! Back in 1978 79 when I started teaching, I strapped 4 kids. (Back then it was almost in vogue, and a couple of times it was on the advice of the principal.) I was an idiot. It made no change in the student behaviour at all. Very ineffective tool.

People say I'm the sweetest and most sensitive person they have ever met.
In fact I wanted to be a teacher...but I chose a different path at college.
If I had been a teacher, I would have been identical to Miss Honey.

[youtube]U29g97EElKs[/youtube]

well..this video shows how effective and good the Montessori method is

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A better compromise, IMO: whatever punishment the teacher inflicts on the child, then child's parents can inflict on the teacher, principal, superintendent, or school board members.

If it's assault when one adult does it to another, then it's assault when an adult does it to a child.
Your brain must be malfunctioning, cuz I was thinking the same thing.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Five of the states that allowed corporeal punishment were also above average in testing, and six of the states that disallowed corporeal punishment were still below average in testing. I'm not sure that there is a very strong correlation here.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Five of the states that allowed corporeal punishment were also above average in testing, and six of the states that disallowed corporeal punishment were still below average in testing. I'm not sure that there is a very strong correlation here.

Are you saying that somehow corporal punishment was effective?
:facepalm: :help::help:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Are you saying that somehow corporal punishment was effective?
:facepalm: :help::help:

Do you struggle with reading comprehension? I'm saying that spanking a kid doesn't really appear to magically make them dumber. The states that score low on testing, what percentage of the kids do you think have ever actually been spanked at school? How well kids do in school, or how well a school does for the kids, is contingent on far, far, far more then on whether or not the possibility exists that they may get spanked for bad behavior. I grew up in Indiana, a state that allows corporal punishment according to the map. However, I've never been spanked at school, nor do I recall seeing any other kid get spanked at school. Just because a state may allow for corporal punishment, doesn't mean every school in that state are dragging every kid out into the hall and spanking them en masse.

Last edited: