• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporal Punishment Reinstated

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
I know spankings never worked for me. I got spankings almost every day for a long time before my mother then thought to make me kneel on salt for hours at a time. Still didn't work.

Putting my toys or phone or other such things "on time out" worked far better.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So is America living in the 1900s or something?
Seriously guys, what is going on over there?

My father grew up in the 1930s.
He endured corporal punishment and abhorred it for the rest of his life as a result.
Never worked on him and only gave him mental health complexes

Brian2

Veteran Member
I know spankings never worked for me. I got spankings almost every day for a long time before my mother then thought to make me kneel on salt for hours at a time. Still didn't work.

So discipline but not corporal punishment.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Missouri district reinstates corporal punishment, egged on by parents

SMH.... Really people? Corporal Punishment... it... Doesn't.... Work.

"Many studies have shown that physical punishment — including spanking, hitting and other means of causing pain — can lead to increased aggression, antisocial behavior, physical injury and mental health problems for children."

The case against spanking.

Young boy's boots under desk. MS Old clock . MS Teacher spanking boy... Stock Footage Video - Getty Images

Altfish

Veteran Member

"Many studies have shown that physical punishment — including spanking, hitting and other means of causing pain — can lead to increased aggression, antisocial behavior, physical injury and mental health problems for children."

Good grief, mind you it won't be long before one of our idiot Tory MP's is calling for it.
I don't think these people did history at school.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

A lot of parents haven't had an example of how to teach their own children, and its not always intuitive. What parents need to realize is that children are awed by parents. There is a natural bond of respect and need. There are many other things about children which make them learn good behavior if you know a few tricks. My own family spanked me and my siblings but tried lesser methods too such as making us to stand in the corner, however as my mom learned she did this less. My sister learned a lot about psychology, and she never used physical punishment with her children. And yet miraculously her children were well behaved without spanking. They became very bright and outstanding citizens. Its not very complicated either to learn how to do this.

What’s the Best Way to Discipline My Child?

Koldo

Outstanding Member

PureX

Veteran Member
America is slipping further back
Most definitely going the going the wrong way
Stoning next? Public floggings?
We are a bunch of angry, selfish children. We see our world falling apart from greed and stupidity and all we can think to do about it is punish the "bad guys".

But we're the "bad guys". So we just punish each other and everything keeps getting worse. We're only pushing ourselves deeper into the abyss.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Maybe that's what the police need to do.

Give criminals a time out and have them stand in a corner.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Too many particulars that aren't addressed. Spanking isn't the answer but can be a tool along with other tools (like time out)

My children are normal, well-adjusted, no aggression, antisocial behaviors et al and we did use the tool with love.

My children are doing the same thing and having the same good results.

And yet there are those who think corporal punishment is the answer and use it with anger that produces negative results.

Twilight Hue

So is America living in the 1900s or something?
Seriously guys, what is going on over there?

My father grew up in the 1930s.
He endured corporal punishment and abhorred it for the rest of his life as a result.
Never worked on him and only gave him mental health complexes
Yet we live in a world where corporal punishment is the guiding force in just about all societies.

What do you think the police are there and actually equipped for?

They will hit you if you misbehave.