• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporal Punishment Reinstated

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Police don't decide who is a criminal, nor punish them. It's attitudes like this that are the reason our police too often ARE the criminals.
Its still an example of corporal punishment. Look at the equipment a police officer carries. Clubs and guns to keep people in check and lawful.

People say corporal punishment is bad and dosent work, but it's regularly praised as being the glue that holds society together as evidenced by having police officers in the first place.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Missouri district reinstates corporal punishment, egged on by parents

SMH.... Really people? Corporal Punishment... it... Doesn't.... Work.

"Many studies have shown that physical punishment — including spanking, hitting and other means of causing pain — can lead to increased aggression, antisocial behavior, physical injury and mental health problems for children."

The case against spanking.
Yep, and it's likely more like "Spank their child but not my angel".

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Too many particulars that aren't addressed. Spanking isn't the answer but can be a tool along with other tools (like time out)
My wife and I used more of what can be called a "swat", namely one swift swat on the butt and that's all so as to get the point across.

BTW, is it true that your parents kept spanking you on the head as that would explain so many of your posts? :p

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
People say corporal punishment is bad and dosent work, but it's regularly praised as being the glue that holds society together as evidenced by having police officers in the first place.
Amd look and what that has gotten us. White men are murdered after failing to perform a series of circus orders, black men are murdered even though many are unarmed, women of all colors are raped, Native reserves are used as shooting galleries, and the mentally ill are put into an especially dangerous situation where piggly-wiggly just makes thing worse.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
And yet there are those who think corporal punishment is the answer and use it with anger that produces negative results.

It's not just anger that causes the problems. You can be as calm as you want, but it still destroys trust.

Do we hit others as adults to "teach them a lesson"? Or is it illegal to do that? So why is it acceptable for an adult to hit someone smaller and weaker then they (regardless of the parents intent).

You think your kids turned out fine. But do you really know that. They very well could be hiding things from you emotionally, and more then likely are.

Spanking only creates fear. Fear is not a tool, it's a weapon that shouldn't be used on children.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

PureX

Veteran Member
Its still an example of corporal punishment. Look at the equipment a police officer carries. Clubs and guns to keep people in check and lawful.
That's not why they have those things. Or at least that's not supposed to be why they have them. If they're using them to "punish" anyone, they should be fired and prosecuted.
The people praising it are the people that want to use it on someone else. Fascists, bully boys, criminal thugs, and gansta goons all love the idea of maximum punishment. It makes them feel strong and tough and invincible, and they don't care how it makes anyone else feel.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That's not why they have those things. Or at least that's not supposed to be why they have them. If they're using them to "punish" anyone, they should be fired and prosecuted.
The people praising it are the people that want to use it on someone else. Fascists, bully boys, criminal thugs, and gansta goons all love the idea of maximum punishment. It makes them feel strong and tough and invincible, and they don't care how it makes anyone else feel.
Try disregarding a police officers commands and see what happens to you.

You misbehave, you pay.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
It's not just anger that causes the problems. You can be as calm as you want, but it still destroys trust.

Do we hit others as adults to "teach them a lesson"? Or is it illegal to do that? So why is it acceptable for an adult to hit someone smaller and weaker then they (regardless of the parents intent).

You think your kids turned out fine. But do you really know that. They very well could be hiding things from you emotionally, and more then likely are.

Spanking only creates fear. Fear is not a tool, it's a weapon that shouldn't be used on children.

I don't think it destroys trust when it is well deserved.

Yes, as adults we are taught lessons. "You are FIRED"... except it is without love. The growing population in prison are spankings, but without love.

Yes... I know my children are fine. We have an open communication. We taught them to be transparent too

Of course, our faith is the major factor too.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Yes, as adults we are taught lessons. "You are FIRED"... except it is without love. The growing population in prison are spankings, but without love.

That not what I asked. I asked if it was ok for an adult to hit another adult, can I walk up and punch you in the mouth (with love); or would that get me at a minimum detained by the police?

Why is it ok to hit a child, but not an adult?

Can punch my wife, as long as a do it with love?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
"Perhaps surprisingly, says Cuartas, spanking elicits a similar response in children’s brains to more threatening experiences like sexual abuse. “You see the same reactions in the brain,” Cuartas explains. “Those consequences potentially affect the brain in areas often engaged in emotional regulation and threat detection, so that children can respond quickly to threats in the environment.”"

The Effect of Spanking on the Brain

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
So your faith says you should hit kids? That's sad.
Misapplication but I understand why you would say that.

No... our faith helped them being balanced and well rounded. We don't believe in hitting. We believe in disciplining. :)

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Misapplication but I understand why you would say that.

No... our faith helped them being balanced and well rounded. We don't believe in hitting. We believe in disciplining. :)

Yes, but you are advocating hitting/spanking as a form of discipline for children.

It is not.

Tell why it is ok to strike a child. But not an adult?